Derfel Cadarn

Grim Hollow

Well, I figured I may as well post all the pics of this moc in its own thread so it can be indexed, after all, its part of Historica.

I have been wanting to build something in Nocturnus for a while, so the recent story gave a great opertunity to do so. This is another moc based on a piece of Warhammer art, I found it the same time as I found my previous build's concept art. I had planned to actually build this first, but went with the other building as I was short on dark turquoise. However, It was the turquoise color that really attracted me to this build, I love the color and felt it was a nice change from the standard browns, blacks and reds most use for roof work.

An enjoyable build, and one that has really sent me into wanting to build some mocs with a dark/twisted/gothic/dracula type feel, although I am working on a Sleep Hollow moc.

This moc features in the Prelude story to the upcomming challenge 3, which can be found in this thread: Prelude

6774276448_d00b15eb99_z.jpg

6774265390_dce1a8d0d2_z.jpg

6774247604_f8c451092c_z.jpg

6918101367_ed1bb08d33_z.jpg

6774245002_053d0c4214_z.jpg

6920381113_42c1b1998d_z.jpg

Thnaks for viewing

DC

Oh man, I really wonder where you get all these great ideas for new techniques. It seems you're always ten steps ahead of most of us!! I mean it's not like your glueing the pieces (except fot the whip once :tongue:) but it often enough sure looks like it. However, at a second glance it shows that things are doable, just never tought of before. All this said, I think you have once again totally outdone yourself, awesome creation!!

This is an incredible building; the detailing on the building is fantastic, the brickwork is superb, the doors, the trees and the landscaping are all awesome... I'm not so fond of the cage (because I saw a film as a child that rather spooked me) but for the right reasons; it absolutely works in this piece and adds another dimension.

Just fantastic. This is the sort of build that I show to my friends and say, SEE, this is why I love Lego - look what you can do! :thumbup:

Absolutely wonderful. Great design, the use of the turquoise parts on the roof is quite unique, great everything. I like the brickwork design on the lower walls and chimney, and the cage is a cool touch.

I forgot to comment of the great build you made for the 3rd round, because the story took all of my attention, but now I can delight with it properly.

I have to say I love the ilusion of curves used on the upper windows, great perspective trick.

The chimney is cool too, I would like to see some smoke to add realism.

The roof color is odd for Nocturnus yet I enjoy how it enhances the whole building.

The part of the sewer is very clever and the detail of the skelleton on cage adds to the creepy atmosphere.

Great job my Lord. :thumbup:

another awesome build. can't wait to see where this story goes!

I am trying to figure out how you did the white walls? such a effect use of tiles especially with the brown.

As kabel said, you seem to always be a step ahead of us. I always look forward to your builds because they are soo nice to look at but also they are a wonderful class of what you can do with lego.

This is so amazing, i'm really jealous of your techniques, everything screams greatness, thanks for sharing this it really inspires

Amazing productivity and fantastic work again. Warhammer again, right? Love the chimneys, woodwork, detailing, landscaping. I'm not so fond of the roof colour though. It's a bit to unreal to me.

Keep on inspiring!

Edited by Balthasar

Very lovely build. I have been waiting for this too go up since I spotted it on brothers-brick.

Trying to find the treasures smacks of arrogance to me... I hope we aren't getting in over our heads with this one.

I tend not to comment on any DC build, because I have little to say beyond, whoah, you got crazy skills! In this case, they are backed up with a superb story, great characters beautifully realised, and the build itself just blows me away. From that stupendous base to the secret door, the warped woodwork, the lovely furnishing in the interior, the vegetation, and of course the presentation, everything is first class. You are an inspiration. I really agreed with your comment that Nocturnus is the hardest to build but has the best scope for creativity, you should defect to the dark side with a build like this!

:classic:

I have to say, awesome roof technique. Not just the colors, but how you attached it as well. I am going to have to remember that.

This is another great Warhammer-esque build. Amazing as usual. The turquoise roof looks beautiful, I love the stream and the grate, the cellar door, the chimneys, the trees and the border of the build. Your bricking, panelling and windows are awesome, as always. Gorgeous Build!

I can´t help it! Every time I see one of your mocs I keep fallin in love in them! That colour of the roof is great and fun to see that you dared to used such a "non castle" colour!

It´s great to see that such an advanced buider like you DC keep improving your builds and techniques!

One question though, when reading through all the comments that you recieve for your mocs there is not that many that gives you tips or critique. How do you improve your building when all you hear is praise? :classic: Don´t get me wrong I love your builds and you deserve all the praise!!

I'm not so fond of the roof colour though. It's a bit to unreal to me.

Funny, the turqoise roof is what I love most about this beautiful creation - it's so alternative and fresh for a Castle-ish build!

I just hate Derfel. He is like the Jimi Hendrix of our Lego age - maybe the "Steve Vai" of it, it depends on how old are you. After him, everything you do is losely based on anything he did - even if you didn't ever saw any of his works.

Just kidding, man. Your skills are inspiring. Loved the half timbering of this, the style is really autentic.

Hope you don'ty play guitar as good as you build with Lego or I'll be really jealous...