Sign in to follow this  
Etzel

MOC: Uppsala Castle

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Architecture Month looks like it can be a blast so I fixed my table scrap of Uppsala Castle that I have had standing in my shelf for a while.

It's nothing fancy but I thought I should post since it's in the spirit of the month, who knows I might try something more elaborate later on.

6929145975_9d4d632563.jpg

The construction of Uppsala Castle began in 1549 and was an important place in the time of Sweden's rise to power in Northern Europe during the 16th and 17th century. Pretty soon after it was built it was turned into a Renaissance palace and became an administrative centre more then a defensive refuge. Several of very important events in Sweden's history took place here, including the Sture Murders and the abdication of Queen Kristina.

The castle suffered from a fire in 1702 and it took a long time before it was restored. The money for the restoration ran out in 1762 and the planned northern wing was never built (right in the picture).

6783026296_d934b9bf88.jpg

The small thing on the right is a bell, called the "Gunilla Bell", that was placed there after the fire to serve as an alarm bell. I used a Brickarms U-clip to make it, a step away from my purist ways. :blush::tongue:

6929145495_be9530c024.jpg

6783026030_418074a97a.jpg

6783025834_ccd46cf56d.jpg

Reference pictures (I'll try and get some myself tomorrow):

slott_flyg.jpg

uppsala-slott.jpg

Thanks for watching, now I hope to see some architecture MOCs from you too. :wink:

/Etzel

Edited by Rufus
Indexed

THIS! Is exactly what I'd like to see out of the Architecture series. Great job at replicating the real thing. Aside from the water tower(that is what it is, right?) this is spot on for an official set.