LEGO Train 12 Volts

MOC: WD 42 'Overlord' 0-4-0 Diesel

Hi everyone,

this is my last locomotive creation, it’s a diesel switcher 0-4-0 with a particular rear cams drive system. :classic:

overlord_wd42-001.jpg

This locomotive was ordered by the Ministry of Defence in 1941 and was designed and built by Andrew Barclay, Sons & Co.Ltd..

In October 1992, was restored to its original number WD42 and named "OVERLORD" as part of the 50th Anniversary celebrations of the D-Day Landings

overlord_wd42-002.jpg

The real challenge was to build a telescopic piston, because the cam and wheel have different distances.

overlord_wd42-007.jpg

I’ve cut a flex cable then inserted in a rigid hose. This is the sequence of the piston during the rotation of 360 degrees.

overlord_wd42-008.jpg

overlord_wd42-009.jpg

Another challenge was to fit the battery and the engine in the shape maintaining compliance with the original blueprint.

overlord_wd42-003.jpg

overlord_wd42-010.jpg

overlord_wd42-012.jpg

overlord_wd42-013.jpg

This locomotive has a transmission system with a worm screw to reduce the speed to a very low ratio.

The low speed of the locomotive, in favor of the power, has made possible to avoid the use of an infrared receiver using a simple on-off-on switch.

overlord_wd42-011.jpg

As always in my locomotives, there are lights, a single led on the front and on the rear.

overlord_wd42-014.jpg

overlord_wd42-015.jpg

overlord_wd42-016.jpg

overlord_wd42-019.jpg

overlord_wd42-020.jpg

overlord_wd42-021.jpg

overlord_wd42-022.jpg

For the project I have to thank Toastie again for providing the medium grooved wheels with the O-rings! :laugh:

overlord_wd42-023.jpg

Soon I will post my complete project named “Coal District” …keep on watching! :wink:

overlord_wd42-004.jpg

overlord_wd42-005.jpg

overlord_wd42-006.jpg

overlord_wd42-017.jpg

overlord_wd42-018.jpg

Awesome! I really like your technical solutions; I'm starting to feel more and more inclined to do something like that myself for all future Train MOCs... Can't wait to see your project!

Amazing! default_thumbup.gif

By the way, is the buffer the one from BlokBricks?

Yes, it comes from there! :thumbup:

Awesome! I really like your technical solutions; I'm starting to feel more and more inclined to do something like that myself for all future Train MOCs... Can't wait to see your project!

Thank you Sir! :sadnew:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

I had tried to find a good solution for a EE 3/3 model, but used BBB blind wheels to ensure I get a the right spacing. I once asked BB why the piston rod holes were not 1/2 stud (they are on EN wheels) and the main issue seems to have been strength. I had not considered using flexible elements which I find to be a very elegant solution to the problem. Congratulations!

I had tried to find a good solution for a EE 3/3 model, but used BBB blind wheels to ensure I get a the right spacing. I once asked BB why the piston rod holes were not 1/2 stud (they are on EN wheels) and the main issue seems to have been strength. I had not considered using flexible elements which I find to be a very elegant solution to the problem. Congratulations!

Thanks you all for the compliments, you make me blush! :blush:

Great build! A lot of clever technical details. And it looks like the original Engine.

Very well done. Nice and compact and overall clean. It is a prime quality MOC replica you have there.

About the issue with the location of the peg hole: If I am correct those are medium BBB drivers? If so, I can share a little tip that I discovered after hours of hair pulling to try and make a similar idea work. The basic idea is that the hole lines up with the studs on this round plate:

4032b.jpg

Or this gear:

3648.jpg

So if place the two on top of each other you will see that the holes line up.

My solution was to use the 2x2 round plate, but facing inwards and one of these Technic pegs:

4274.jpg

To connect the side rod to it by lining it up behind one of the studs. It works great and I can even drive the locomotive this way.

I hope that helps.

3D LEGO

To connect the side rod to it by lining it up behind one of the studs. It works great and I can even drive the locomotive this way.

I hope that helps.

3D LEGO

That sir - is an excellent tip. Thank you - now everything becomes clear. :thumbup:

Very well done. Nice and compact and overall clean. It is a prime quality MOC replica you have there.

About the issue with the location of the peg hole: If I am correct those are medium BBB drivers? If so, I can share a little tip that I discovered after hours of hair pulling to try and make a similar idea work. The basic idea is that the hole lines up with the studs on this round plate:

4032b.jpg

Or this gear:

3648.jpg

So if place the two on top of each other you will see that the holes line up.

My solution was to use the 2x2 round plate, but facing inwards and one of these Technic pegs:

4274.jpg

I hope that helps.

3D LEGO

This is correct 3D LEGO, the gear fits perfectly but it's a little bit inelegant.

The round plate, on the contrary, is a smart solution and I never thought about that :hmpf: the round shape of the cam would be great for the Crocodile locomotive.

the round shape of the cam would be great for the Crocodile locomotive.

Race Ya! :thumbup:

AWESOME little engine that could 'LT12V', you have been able to scale it perfectly - a huge :thumbup: to your design skills. :excited:

Brick On 'LT12V' ! :classic:

Edited by lightningtiger

Nice work on building such a compact sized loco, in particular I like how you have done the flywheel arangement for the coupling rods.

Edited by Steinkopf

You’ve done an excellent job replicating this locomotive! My grandfather used to build model railroads in his basement. I remember as a kid going to his house and looking in wonder at all the little details on his layout. You’ve brought me back to my childhood and are tempting me to spend more money on Lego trains! Darn you Lego Train 12 Volts! Seriously great build! Can’t wait to see the Coal District.

Hi everyone,

this is my last locomotive creation, it’s a diesel switcher 0-4-0 with a particular rear cams drive system. :classic:

Hi LT12V,

there was a discussion lately whether or not building with bricks should be considered (serious) rail road modeling. Well, seeing you li'l engine I tell you: Yes, it is serious RR modeling.

The smaller the model, the tougher is to keep up the detailing along with functionality. With your model you have mastered both, you have built a beautiful little shunter, and you have shown us how to put in so many nifty gadgets. The drive system is ingenious and another example of the beauty of the flex system.

Your electronic skills just render the model virtually perfect!

Thank you very much for sharing so many details. I guess many of us are learning a lot from your modeling.

All the best,

Thorsten

Hi LT12V,

there was a discussion lately whether or not building with bricks should be considered (serious) rail road modeling. Well, seeing you li'l engine I tell you: Yes, it is serious RR modeling.

The smaller the model, the tougher is to keep up the detailing along with functionality. With your model you have mastered both, you have built a beautiful little shunter, and you have shown us how to put in so many nifty gadgets. The drive system is ingenious and another example of the beauty of the flex system.

Your electronic skills just render the model virtually perfect!

Thank you very much for sharing so many details. I guess many of us are learning a lot from your modeling.

All the best,

Thorsten

What can I say with so many compliments?

...only my huge thanks! :blush:

Very nice design LEGO Train 12 Volts. I really like how you incorporated the 3x4 minifig stands - they are not the easiest pieces to use when building. Great job on the telescopic piston rods, and thanks for adding the video to see them in action. The lights are equally nice. You must have spent a lot of time/work designing this beauty. The final engine looks fantastic. Great job! :thumbup:

Dear LEGO Train 12 Volts,

this is a really nice locomotive!

I like the fact you are incorporating your signature lighting and battery power.

Also the movie with the telescopic piston in action is really awesome. :classic:

Really well done! :thumbup:

Kind regards,

Teddy