Sign in to follow this  
Zzz

Themes vs MOCing

Hi all,

I tend to play video games in the evening. Solid, cheap, clean fun. Push power on, switch off, go to bed. I work long hours and this works for me.

I like Lego more, for some reason, and I have a nice, small collection of SW, Indy, Minifigs and some other stuff. I like TLCs themes, but they are not what I would like to create, display or "play" with. Right now I would be interested in having a WW2 inspired, post-apocalyptic military theme with soldiers, femme fatales and steampowered mechs. AT-ST meets Indiana Jones, perhaps.

I admire people who MOC just what their imagination says, as I seriously have neither the patience, money, time or creativity. I make small things up in my mind but would like to actually create. TLCs themes only come close of what I would like to see, but it's so much easier to stick to the themes and make a few small creations going along with them or a few amendments, than actually starting from the scratch. I am also too much of a perfectionist to dismantle things and randomly start MOCing, when I know it doesn't look as brilliant as stuff others create. Also having not exactly all the bricks and colours I would like to have is a huge problem. So I stick to TLCs themes (what becomes more and more difficult now that Indy is gone) and video games.. but in my head there are fantastic stories about my post-apoc platoon.

Anyone else has this?

Hi all,

I tend to play video games in the evening. Solid, cheap, clean fun. Push power on, switch off, go to bed. I work long hours and this works for me.

I like Lego more, for some reason, and I have a nice, small collection of SW, Indy, Minifigs and some other stuff. I like TLCs themes, but they are not what I would like to create, display or "play" with. Right now I would be interested in having a WW2 inspired, post-apocalyptic military theme with soldiers, femme fatales and steampowered mechs. AT-ST meets Indiana Jones, perhaps.

I admire people who MOC just what their imagination says, as I seriously have neither the patience, money, time or creativity. I make small things up in my mind but would like to actually create. TLCs themes only come close of what I would like to see, but it's so much easier to stick to the themes and make a few small creations going along with them or a few amendments, than actually starting from the scratch. I am also too much of a perfectionist to dismantle things and randomly start MOCing, when I know it doesn't look as brilliant as stuff others create. Also having not exactly all the bricks and colours I would like to have is a huge problem. So I stick to TLCs themes (what becomes more and more difficult now that Indy is gone) and video games.. but in my head there are fantastic stories about my post-apoc platoon.

Anyone else has this?

I think that not having the right/enough of the right parts has happened to all of us.

I will often have that problem. I have a LOT of LEGO, but I often do not have enough of a specific part that I need. What I do is build small, but very detailed, MOCs, thereby making the best use of the parts that I have.

What I do is build small, but very detailed, MOCs, thereby making the best use of the parts that I have.

Same here. :classic: I also do a lot of modding, especially if I want it to look a certain way and it can't be build with regular parts. But I've set a rule to myself when I do this, it must be done clean and thorough.

Besides that I'm a big pc-gamer. But I can go easily without gaming (been my 3rd week as of now) and just mess around with Lego. Trying to come with idea's and stuff. :laugh:

You can always just start sketching out your ideas at first and then start building...

Parts are not always a constraint either. Look at what you have and build them to build a shape you were looking for. I built two of my best planes with parts I would never have thought to use after I ran out of inverted slope parts in the colours I wanted (my preferred parts for plane building). I always challenge what parts can achieve.