Dan Church

MOC: H.M.A.S. Beluga

The brain-child of Admiral Briggs, the H.M.A.S. Beluga is a double-ballooned airship prototype that is more of a proof of concept than anything else. The Queen only approved of this project because the Admiral is personally responsible for saving the Prince from drowning when their ship was hit and sunk by none other than the French in the last war.

The steam powered airship isn't yet suited for combat because of its relatively small payload capacity, and the tremendous cost that when into its development. The Beluga serves mostly as a triumph of engineering and makes its way to parades and fairs across the English Countryside.

Enjoy!

dscn0581.jpg

dscn0566.jpg

dscn0574.jpg

dscn0575.jpg

dscn0580.jpg

Comment and Criticism always welcome!

Really nice build, I love the air bags they look sturdy, steampunk stuff is always so interesting and this in no exception :thumbup:

Very cool! reminds me of the air ship from polar express (all it needs is elves :laugh: )

Edited by Legonardo Davidy

This'll fit into SF better :classic: I'll move it along.

Damn straight.

*pounce*

I saw this on flickr earlier - great build. The two balloons are very well designed - and I liked how you used the ropes.

But it's the underside of the ship that makes me go :wub:

SO much detail in such a crammed and looks like delicate local

Great job!

Like how you attatched the bow, great work! Lovely enginepods as well, same goes for the whole underside. Though I get the feeling the twin balloons are too far from each other.

Very nice, I like the twin-balloon idea. Great use of that wheel part for connecting the curved parts on the bottom, it makes a nice angle.

Now that's what I call an airship, amazingly detailed and the story is great too, but if it is Steampunk then why are there flames underneath?

I love this. Great stuff.

As others have mentioned, whilst the balloons are nice it's the hull that makes this for me. Nicely detailed and great shaping.

This is simply stunning. Airy is the only word that really comes to mind right now, and it sure sounds stupid... But really, this is one of my favourite MOCs I've seen in recent weeks! Hats off, and thanks for sharing.

Outstounding! Love the look of the whole thing, really captures that steampunk feel. The air bags look wonderful, but my favourite details are the contruction of the body, especially the uses of the brown strips along the sides and bottom. Can't fault a thing about it!

Batbrick Away! :devil:

Very cool! reminds me of the air ship from polar express (all it needs is elves :laugh: )

You're spot on! That's where I took the idea for a double ballooned airship.

but if it is Steampunk then why are there flames underneath?

Flames are needed to head the water into steam, though I do agree they are a bit out of place. It was more of an aesthetic detail than a function.

Thanks everyone for the comments!