Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Warship Excalibur under construction

I can't decide on the color for the window panes for the ship (the windows itself will be black).

Black Window 3853.gif

Window Pane 2529.gif

Any suggestions? Currently I think brown might be the best choice for the panes (since the hull is also brown).

The available colors are: blue, brown, green, pink, Reddish brown, white, yellow.

Red is not available, but this might have been a bit to much.

side2.jpg

Suggestion for the ship: the red lines on top of the ship are (roughly)like this: ----_______

My suggestion is to get the front a bit higher: ----____....

The little strange voice in the back of my head says that it would look nice *pirate*

I think you're right Mr. Tiber. Thanks!

How about a black frame with brown panes? It might turn out too dark, but it seems good to me.

That's also my concern. That it will be to dark with the brown panes.

Using the reddish-brown panes will introduce a 4th color in the ship. This might be a bit to much maybe.

And the white doesn't seem to go well with the rest of the ship. It's a difficult choice.......

Maybe I have to start using one of these simulator programs to see the result in advance.

Just ordered on bricklink all the bricks I need to finish about 90% of the ships hull.

Decided eventually to use red windows with brown panes, lots of red flags (for the gun ports), cannons, some black and red bricks I missed, ...

Next week I will be on a 4-day business trip to Jordan.

By the time I get back, I hope to have received my orders...

Are the windows going to be included in the these BrickLink order?

Have you done anymore to the hull or are you still waiting for the BrickLink orders to enable you to continue?

Are the windows going to be included in the these BrickLink order?

Have you done anymore to the hull or are you still waiting for the BrickLink orders to enable you to continue?

Jep, the red windows are included but only part of the window panes. The shop where I bought the windows didn't have enough brown window panes.

I will do some more buying when I have a clear view on the pieces I need to finish the rest of the ship (masts, figurehead, ...) since this is my first MOC sailing ship.

But once the hull is finished I will take some pictures and post them in this thread.

I already did some modifications that make it look better. I''m getting quite satisfied with how it looks.

well for now, while we are waiting for your order will you takke some inside shots? I AM VERY CURIOUS AS TO WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE INSIDE.

well for now, while we are waiting for your order will you takke some inside shots? I AM VERY CURIOUS AS TO WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE INSIDE.

There is not much to see inside the Excalibur today.

Just an open space.

Only some idea's in my head :-).

i like the idea, interesting...... i'm building a ship, and i'm debating, should it be called the HMS Sabre of the HMS Cutlass

Do I understand correctly that you are building a ship Lord Norrington?

I would love to see some pictures.

For ship names of the royal navy I use this link.

Thats where I found the name "Excalibur".

YES I AM INDEEDY BUILDING TH EENGLISH WAR SHIP SABRE. anyway, ill get some pics posted when i get my usb cord. also right now it looks very crappy, but its together an looks like a ship. i need cannons, a actil bow sprit and i want a taller cabin plus a figure head. but at the moment its a very modest ship.

small update on the sabre.... i removed a center cection thus making it shorter, but now its taller and has two decks. also i make a figure head with a yellow horse head from those weird createor things..... anyway, i also used my secont (to short) mast as a bow sprit.

Very interesting MOC Bonaparte. I like the color scheme. How many middle hull sections are on there, it looks pretty long!? Are you going to make a balcony on the stern of the ship? That'd look nice.

small update on the sabre.... i removed a center cection thus making it shorter, but now its taller and has two decks. also i make a figure head with a yellow horse head from those weird createor things..... anyway, i also used my secont (to short) mast as a bow sprit.

Can't wait to see your creation Mr. Norrington.

You should definately make a thread for it once you get your usb cord.

Very interesting MOC Bonaparte. I like the color scheme. How many middle hull sections are on there, it looks pretty long!? Are you going to make a balcony on the stern of the ship? That'd look nice.

The Excalibur has 5 mid-hull sections. A balcony is not forseen.

I'm loosly following the design (not the color scheme) of the frigate HMS Rose (called HMS Surprise in Master and Commander).

rose.jpg

However, I'm planning to build another ship when the Excalibur is finished.

One with at least 2 more mid-hull sections, 2 gun decks and with a black-yellow color scheme.

Jep, the red windows are included but only part of the window panes. The shop where I bought the windows didn't have enough brown window panes.

Shop? Like as in BrickLink store or is there a shop in the real world that sells brown LEGO window panes? That kind of thing excitements me ya know....

There is not much to see inside the Excalibur today.

Just an open space.

Are you going to build an interior for this ship or will it always be open space?

Shop? Like as in BrickLink store or is there a shop in the real world that sells brown LEGO window panes? That kind of thing excitements me ya know....

The shop I refer to is a Bricklink-shop.

Are you going to build an interior for this ship or will it always be open space?

The ship will not remain empty inside.

There will be cannons in the gundeck, sleeping quarters for the crew and officers.

I plan to make everything in the lower deck accessible via panels that can be opened.

Can't wait to see your creation Mr. Norrington.

You should definately make a thread for it once you get your usb cord.

THank you emperor banaparte! i will. though noow it dosn't look like a english ship any more,it looks more like a spanish galleon, it had british flags before, and now i'm going to make it more neutral by adding imperial gaurd flags from bricklink...plus a ton of imperial soldiers.

so bonoparte, and ubdates on the excalibur? did you get your orders? oh, and you could possibly get away with making a ship exaclty the same way, buy make it white and yellow and call it the lady of the lake. imagine it, sister ship excalibur and the lady of the lake.....

so bonoparte, and ubdates on the excalibur? did you get your orders? oh, and you could possibly get away with making a ship exaclty the same way, buy make it white and yellow and call it the lady of the lake. imagine it, sister ship excalibur and the lady of the lake.....

My orders from BL have arrived.

I'm now using them to complete the hull of the ship.

But it still needs some work, especialy the front of the ship doesn't look right yet.

I plan to make another ship (bigger) once this one is finished with yellow and white (the colors of the BSB).

But this will be something for next year (I hope I still have time because I will start constructing my house :-/ ).

so can we have a update n the excalibur tommorow?

Because of my busy work schedule it will take some more time to finish the hull :-( .

However, I'm planning to build another ship when the Excalibur is finished.

One with at least 2 more mid-hull sections, 2 gun decks and with a black-yellow color scheme.

Captain Bonapart, it would seem that you may need to think "outside the hull" and make your own hulls as wide and long as you like on longer ships. A frigate, in my opinion, needs to be wider than the standard hull pieces.

Just food for thought.

Captain Bonapart, it would seem that you may need to think "outside the hull" and make your own hulls as wide and long as you like on longer ships. A frigate, in my opinion, needs to be wider than the standard hull pieces.

Just food for thought.

You are right Mr. Phred. I have already been trying to think out of the hull :-).

Check this brickjournal op page 27-28: http://media.peeron.com/brickjournal/brickjournal3.pdf

It's about a ship made by Richie Dulin called "The Miserable".

It uses standard lego hull mid-sections, but they have been cut in the middle to make the ship wider.

I'm considering this "technique" for my future ship.