Sign in to follow this  
Bonaparte

Warship Excalibur under construction

I'll use this thread to post progress pictures of the ship that I'm building.

I have chosen the name Excalibur, like the mytical sword that made king Arthur invincible.

This is the first sailing ship that I build and could use some feedback and good advice.

What do you think about the color sheme and the general looks so far?

side.jpg

front.jpg

back.jpg

Looks pretty nice except the lighting isn't that great so it's hard to tell the colors, both the red flags and the red bricks are the same shade of standard red, right? Oh, and I like the name too.

Looks pretty nice except the lighting isn't that great so it's hard to tell the colors, both the red flags and the red bricks are the same shade of standard red, right? Oh, and I like the name too.

All the red is standard red. It's hard to make quality pictures with my crappy camera :-) .

Ahhhhhh crappy cameras! I have one such camera however I hope to obtain a much better one very soon.

As for this ship...

side.jpg

Without sails it looks quite long, rather sleek and dangerous like a barracuda. (The fish not the Black Seas Barracuda). Although, having wrote that maybe its dangerous and sleek like a sword, like Excalibur from which I assume the ship stole *ahem* borrows its name X-D

It will need masts before it gets sails :-D It is because its not finished, but you forgot that it looks flat. That's no problem ofcourse, my current ship(nearly completed!)looked also very flat when it was only a gun deck.

Well Lord Bonaparte, looks very nice! But in the past, you told us that you're building a schooner, and this looks to long and big for a schooner, so I'd like to know, what type of ship will it be??

I'm just using the hull of my skull's eye schooner to build the Excalibur (which is not a schooner).

Maybe I still add 1 hull element later to make it still a bit longer (still doubting about this).

I would like it to be a "ship of the line", but I'm not sure what the criteria are.

Do you have any idea about this? Probably you need a certain amount of guns to be classified like this.

Typically ships with 18 guns or so would be called a brig (if english) or a corvette (if french) if it had 24-44 guns on a single gun deck it would be a frigate. While two decker 3rd and 4th rate ships of the line had 64, 74,80 guns and the bigger 1st and 2nd rate three deckers would have between 98-120 guns.

I'm just using the hull of my skull's eye schooner to build the Excalibur (which is not a schooner).

Maybe I still add 1 hull element later to make it still a bit longer (still doubting about this).

I would like it to be a "ship of the line", but I'm not sure what the criteria are.

Do you have any idea about this? Probably you need a certain amount of guns to be classified like this.

Hi Bonaparte. a hint can be to read on wikipedia. just type "Ship of the line " and you will find ut about all you need.

If you want to build a ship of the line you can start with these links

Ship

Brig

Ship of the line

with those 3 links you should be able to find your size and rate . but remember. this is lego. you can just say that your moc is a ship of the line or a frigate or what you want it to be :-D

It will need masts before it gets sails :-D

You're a cheeky lad Mr Tiber!

It is because its not finished, but you forgot that it looks flat.

Yes, it does look rather flat, should we be expecting to see a stern castle in the future Bonaparte?

You're a cheeky lad Mr Tiber!

Yes, it does look rather flat, should we be expecting to see a stern castle in the future Bonaparte?

A stern castle is my next step and I'm starting to think how I will make it.

I'll start by doing some investigation by looking at the other ships in the Pirate MOC forum (some spying :-)).

Then I will start experimenting. I don't want my stern castle to be very high since that will ruin the line of my ship. I want I to be really integrated in the hull (like in the ship from Master and Commander).

Do you have your eye on any of the other ships Bonaprate? I think "inspiration" is more closer than spying. Unless of course you like the recognoissance approach.

Do you have any idea who big you'd like to make the stern castle?

There are two ships in that movie...wich one do you mean?

The english ship (the one with one gundeck).

Didn't the french ship have 2 gundeck?

Maybe tonight I will watch that movie again to refresh my memory (It's my "free" night since my girlfriend has to study :-)).

Do you have your eye on any of the other ships Bonaprate? I think "inspiration" is more closer than spying. Unless of course you like the recognoissance approach.

Do you have any idea who big you'd like to make the stern castle?

Not to big. Just big enough to put a table for the officers to eat.

This is a first tryout version of the stern of the Excalibur.

Some bricks still have the wrong color and I still have to buy the right windows on BL.

I think it looks rather "integrated" in the ship and doesn't look to "squarely".

stern1.jpg

Can you give us a picture where you can see the whole ship, to see how good it intergrated???

Ofcourse Mr. Tiber, here are 2 pics.

I did some minor changes to the hull also.

size-with-stern2.jpg

size-with-stern1.jpg

This is a first tryout version of the stern of the Excalibur.

Some bricks still have the wrong color and I still have to buy the right windows on BL.

I think it looks rather "integrated" in the ship and doesn't look to "squarely".

stern1.jpg

My first impression are these windows look too futuristic! But then I read "I still have to buy the right windows on BL" and breath a sigh of relief.

What kind of windows will you get Bonaparte? The lattice or the shutters or some other type I'm not thinking of?

My first impression are these windows look too futuristic! But then I read "I still have to buy the right windows on BL" and breath a sigh of relief.

What kind of windows will you get Bonaparte? The lattice or the shutters or some other type I'm not thinking of?

I think I going to buy these parts for my windows:

Black Window 1 x 4 x 3 3853.gif

White Window 1 x 2 x 3 Pane 2529.gif

Unfortunately these Window Panes are rather expensive (and I need about 16 of them).

I will have to do some minor damage to the windows to put them next to each other (like Mr. Tiber did on the Archeron).

I'm playing a bit with the colors and the line of the ship.

I think this is about what I want (still some bricks have the wrong color and the windows are still not the right ones).

side2.jpg

very nice banaparte, i like the integration, is the cabin entrance going to be below deck? it would be creative and then it woud be able to have its own set of stairs inside.

very nice banaparte, i like the integration, is the cabin entrance going to be below deck? it would be creative and then it woud be able to have its own set of stairs inside.

Indeed Mr. Norrington, I'm planning to make the entrance to the cabin below deck (same as the Surprise, English ship from Master and Commander).

Maybe I make the wall between the gundeck and the cabin removable, so during battle the cabin can be used for a different purpose (medical facility, marines preparing for boarding, ...).

i like the idea, interesting...... i'm building a ship, and i'm debating, should it be called the HMS Sabre of the HMS Cutlass