Review: 5886 T-Rex Hunter

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

Name: T-Rex Hunter

Setnumber: 5886

Theme: Dino

Year: 2012

Parts: 464

Minifig: 2

Price: €69,99 (got it for €59,99 :thumbup: )

Bricklink

Today I bought my fourth Dino set. This time 5886 T-Rex Hunter. So far I'm very impressed with this line. The dinosaurs are fantastic and even the vehicles are nicely build and cool looking. This set is no exception. Here is my review of it. Enjoy.

First at all, the box. Front, back and side. I added my custom Nathan Drake (PS3 Game Uncharted 1-3) to show the size of the box.

001boxfront.jpg

002boxbacke.jpg

003boxside.jpg

The box contains 5 bags, four numbered and one for the T-Rex.

004bags.jpg

Two instructions cover the build.

005instructions.jpg

Random Page (taken from book 2)

006randompage.jpg

The DSS. I didn't apply the stickers, so please don't miss them on the final build :wink: The instructions and the DSS were packed in a bag with cardboard. Safe delivery, good job Lego :thumbup:

007dss.jpg

Now to the build.

Contents of bag 1.

008bag1.jpg

First the Minifigs. Backprint on both torsos. Faces are only onesided. Both faces have a pretty special expression so their use is a bit limited. At the end the figs a nice and I really like the olive green legs and torso of the pilot. Looks great.

009minifigfront.jpg

010minifigback.jpg

Pieces of interest in bag 1. There are many dark red grille pieces in it and it's only the beginning. There a lot more coming in the other bags.

011poi.jpg

Next the T-Rex. Great mold, very possable and a great size. I love this piece.

012rex.jpg

013rex01.jpg

Hello there.

014hello.jpg

The first vehicle in the set. The small buggy (in-build and complete). Nice litte build.

015buggy01.jpg

016buggy02o.jpg

The trailer (in-build and complete). Nothing special but okay.

017cart01.jpg

018cart02.jpg

Both attached.

019complete.jpg

The crate contains a spyglass and a camera. The camera is a simple build but looks very great.

020camera.jpg

The dino carriage. It attached to the studs on the back of the Rex. The arms of this build could never hold a figure this size.

021carriage.jpg

022attached.jpg

Spare parts of bag 1.

023spareparts.jpg

Bag 1 (and special) completed.

024bag1complete.jpg

Contents of bag 2. I really need a bigger "studio".

025bag2.jpg

Pieces of interest. Some nice parts for snot use here.

026poi.jpg

The tail and main body. It is very colourful at the inside and you get a taste of how big it will get.

027tail.jpg

028tail01.jpg

The engines. Good looking and sturdy.

029engines.jpg

Engines attached. In the following pictures the engines are one stud to high. I fixed it in the last pictures.

030finished.jpg

Spare parts from bag 2. A few to many I think. I looked through both instructions and I couldn't find the step where the additional round 1x1 studs and the blue pins go. If anyone can help, please tell me.

031spareparts.jpg

Contents from bag 3.

032bag3.jpg

Pieces of interest. 6 yellow 2x4 tiles. Nice.

033poi.jpg

Main landing gear. Sturdy build.

034gear.jpg

The cockpit. Very heavy and bulky. It gives the chooper a nice look.

035cockpit.jpg

036cockpit01.jpg

Attached to the body.

037attached.jpg

Spare parts from bag 3. Nothing special.

038spareparts.jpg

Up to the last bag and it contents.

039bag4.jpg

The cockpit gets finished.

040cockpitcomplete.jpg

The rotorblades in-build and attached to the final set.

041wings.jpg

042complete.jpg

Spare parts.

043spareparts.jpg

The complete set. Very hard to photograph, it's very big.

044completesets.jpg

Final thoughts

Playability: 8/10

You got a nice Chopper to swoosh around and a great dino to catch. A lot of possible play sessions ahead.

Minifig: 8/10

Nice torsos, faces and I love the olive green pants.

Parts: 8/10

The Rex is fantastic, very fun to play with. The set itself contains a lot of useful parts in bright colours, different tiles, a whole bunch of dark red 1x2 grilles and more. Nice selection.

Price: 7/10

The actual price of €70 may be a bit high at first sight, but I think it's a good value you get. If you can purchase it for a lower price I absolutely recommend this set.

Total: 31/40

I hope you enjoyed the review. For everybody who looked through a little bonus picture of a WIP diorama.

045bonus.jpg

Edited by WhiteFang
Indexed

Cadilacs and dinosaurs! :cry_happy:

I was very disapoined when I saw that the face was not doublesided, lego seriously failed on this one.

But the T-rex is the king of this set and looks amazing, just like other dinos from this theme!

Great job reviewing this set. On the Bag 2 spare parts issue. I had the same thing. I was paranoid fir quite a while and must've checked my manual at least 3 times before just going on. Aside from not having the Ocean Interceptor set, this is my favorite set of the theme. I really like the copter. It has a cool look and great size. You need a beefy copter to haul a T-Rex, after all. I was surprised at just how big the rotors are on this thing.

Very nice review, 'Plissken'!

I really like the T-Rex and helicopter in the set. I can't wait to see your diorama! :classic:

This is one of the two sets from the theme that I don't have. Great review and a nice helicopter with unique design but the price has to come down for me as I have a T-rex from the HQ and it is the sole reason this set is so expensive.

A lovely review, thank you for showing it to us.

I'm afraid Dino will get lost in the licenced themes deluge a little bit, especially with prices being high due to the size of the dinosaurs, but the T Rex here does look great! I still find the minifigs a bit bland.

Great review! I will be purchasing the Dino Defense HQ instead of this set, however, as I prefer the green Tyrannosaurus rex's more realistic colour scheme.

The dinosaur is pretty good. But the strange shape of the flying vehicle reminds me of the Dastardly and Muttley cartoon somehow. :tongue:

Thanks to all for the comments.

Cadilacs and dinosaurs! :cry_happy:

Exactly :wink:

On the Bag 2 spare parts issue. I had the same thing. I was paranoid fir quite a while and must've checked my manual at least 3 times before just going on.

Good to know, so it seems to be the normal situation.

The dinosaur is pretty good. But the strange shape of the flying vehicle reminds me of the Dastardly and Muttley cartoon somehow. :tongue:

At first I thought the helicopter looked funny, but after a little bit of research it's pretty realistic. So much, I would say you can use it in a City layout without much altering. Skycrane

Edited by Plissken

Good review! At first, I was a little hesitant on whether or not to get this set, but after reading this review, I am entirely sold on it. I especially like the T-Rex and minifigures.

Nice to hear that my review could help to make a decision. Thanks.

Nice review. I kinda like the look and feel of the big chunky über trucks and vehicles in these sets. But is it just me or do these sets seem way pricey for their size? More so than you would expect for an in house non licensed set? Is it the cost of the Dino's that drives them up so high?

Thanks for the review. I thought the price was a tad high I'm not so sure about that afer reading your review. I do love the printing on the minifigs, a great level of detail there though. In a normal year I'd probably go for it but this year has far to many great sets for me to be buying anything other than onces I love!

Just dug this review up after going crazy with the spare parts from bag 2, thanks I am not the only one.

Great review. I regret only getting the one set from this theme I believe it was the smallest one with the raptor. I wont make the same mistake with the JW sets coming out next year.

Great review. I regret only getting the one set from this theme I believe it was the smallest one with the raptor. I wont make the same mistake with the JW sets coming out next year.

Same... I kept waiting for the $30 Raptor set to go on a decent sale at Target ($25 or lower, as many similar sets had been doing around then) but it never happened. The largest set I found at WalMart for a nice sale ($20 off? Maybe? I forget) but as I was visiting relatives in another state, I didn't much fancy shipping it back or trying to stuff it into my checked baggage. I wound up only getting the smallest set with the little non-poseable raptor-like dino...

Plisken, I can't thank you enough for this review. It was very well done and besides that, I've just seen the windscreen I've been looking for my project! It'd be the most suitable fit.