Steinkopf

MOC: Catenary Renewal Machine

Hello Everyone

The next model I would like to share photos of is a Catenary Renewal Machine that I built for working on the overhead wiring of the LBB network, the design of this vehicle is heavily inspired by the FUM 100.046 built by Plasser & Theurer. These vehicles are used for either construction or renewal of overhead wiring, they use a Knuckle Boom which is fitted with 2 reels that are used to roll the cables out, the cables are feed from drums that are kept under constant tension to ensure there is no sagging of the Catenary wiring. This model was a fun and challenging build due to the variety of equipment that needed to be fitted, the trickiest of all was getting the right shape and profile of the Knuckle Boom.

4906691047_534214fa6f_z.jpg

6203379522_6914244062_z.jpg

6206824435_a66412b927_z.jpg

Here is a rear quarter view of a FUM 100.051 machine owned by the PKP

00092-3.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

This is quite an interesting model in many ways, both as a LEGO model which is an accurate representation of the original but also in what it represents.

How does the original work do you know? Does it get power from the cables as it lays/hangs(?) them or does it have some other typr of engine to move it, or does it have to be towed by a shunter?

I like to see details like this on layouts as they make scenes look so much more realistic.

I like to see details like this on layouts as they make scenes look so much more realistic.

+1.

This is really a gorgeous model. Impressive details too - and I really love the front end, it looks totally spot on to me! It's a bit of a pity that's nothing to 'actually' repair in LEGO Trains world, but it still adds so much realism to the layout.

I love this looks soo good, like the pnumatic pistons too very effective use of the light saber hilt,

thanks for sharing :thumbup:

This is quite an interesting model in many ways, both as a LEGO model which is an accurate representation of the original but also in what it represents.

How does the original work do you know? Does it get power from the cables as it lays/hangs(?) them or does it have some other typr of engine to move it, or does it have to be towed by a shunter?

Hello Hrw-Amen

The real life units are self propelled and are fitted with a diesel engine they have a top speed of either 24km/h or 80km/h depending on the model number, the overhead wiring has to be turned off when they are laying the cables as it would be too dangerous to have them on. With my model I normally have it coupled to a powered Catenary Repair and Inspection Vehicle that also has a work wagon attatched to it, I will put some photos up of that soon.

Edited by Steinkopf

Nice piece of Maintenance of Way equipment. It's definitely a lot snazzier than the flatbed car with a utility pole bucket attached that we use at the Rockhill Trolley Museum!

Thankyou Everyone for the kind responses, I am glad you like it and I will be adding another Catenary Work Vehicle soon.

Edited by Steinkopf

Again truly magnificent!

Do you have pictures from any larger layout made by you? I would like to see a scenery by you...

Again truly magnificent!

Do you have pictures from any larger layout made by you? I would like to see a scenery by you...

Hello Harnbak

Here a couple of photos from previous shows I have done layouts for.

Part of the my Locomotive Depot from Brickvention 2011

5315752880_4f3f13b655_z.jpg

Part of my module for the SLGG layout at the AMRA 49th Sydney Model Railway Exhibition 2011.

6160671907_5dc272f7f3_z.jpg

Another part of my module in the foreground including a Traction Substation, the section behind that which has tracks with brown tiles for sleepers was done by other members of the group.

6199948837_1f81bc5676_z.jpg

Edited by Steinkopf

Thats really great Dave, dont think I've seen this one on your Flickr stream?

Love the "knuckle" but the whole thing has a great shape and details :sweet:

Great MOC 'Steinkopf'. Love the details, it looks so much like the photo. With all the train sets TLG has designed and released that ran off pantographs, I'm surprised they never released one. I know I'd have one! Great job on it and on those parts of the layout you built default_classic.gif

Hello Harnbak

Here a couple of photos from previous shows I have done layouts for...

Thx - I love these complete layouts.

I never have the time nor space to finish with non-train constructions.

Thats really great Dave, dont think I've seen this one on your Flickr stream?

Love the "knuckle" but the whole thing has a great shape and details :sweet:

Thanks Mate :sweet: , she was a fun machine to build and I love running her around with the Xm 2/2 as a Catenary Maintenance Train which also makes a great detail scene when I have them set up on a layout working on the catenary.