lightningtiger

MOC - 1950's Australian Suburban Street

Some of you have already seen my 1950's hardware store, now 50's street expands....hard work so far, now a tease image.

6890678769_632f41d2e0_b.jpg

A bank and milk bar will follow and perhaps a garage as well....we will see how the money flows...so far it's cost over 100 bucks on the new building....stickers, interior and tiling to come over the next week.

Comments welcome, suggestions too.

Keep watching ! :classic:

NICE!

Thats a HUGE sign... Whats it gonna be? The sign could look cinema-like, but the glass-facade is more shop-ish...

But if you follow the path of your hardware store, it's sure to be great :sweet:

Thanks 'AJ' and 'MadManMingo' for your positive feedback.

Now the unsigned building is what they call in the USA a five and dime store, in Oz they were either a Coles or Woolworths (no, not F.W. neither).

I've dug up an image to show you what a Coles store looked like in the 1950's.

Sadly due to copyright issues....I can only provide a link....Coles Store Northam WA 1953

Though that is a corner building you can get some idea what is happening.

Keep watching....hopefully more tomorrow. :wink:

Looks nice. Seems like a very promising start. Keep up a good work.

Thanks 'solta', I could have the stickers at least on the large white section tomorrow, perhaps also on the red awning too ! :wink:

Definitely liking the architectural details at the top of the 'Woolies' building. It looks just right!

Definitely liking the architectural details at the top of the 'Woolies' building. It looks just right!

Thanks for the comment 'eurotrash', except it's going to be a Coles.....a Woolworths would require a truck-load of the new dark curry colour brick-brick's from the new forest police station. :wink:

Love the street lamp!!! It looks like it is also an electric pole (am I wrong?), if so it'd be great to see it connected with others with a rope.

The hardware looks fantastic! Well done!

Love the street lamp!!! It looks like it is also an electric pole (am I wrong?), if so it'd be great to see it connected with others with a rope.

The hardware looks fantastic! Well done!

Yes, an old fashion power pole and yes when my street is longer I will be using Lego string to strung the power poles.

Thanks 'SwissBrick' for your comments. :sweet:

That 50s vibe of your MOC is really a refreshing change, the more your street scene grows the more I love it. You're also doing a superb job with the stickers, they add so much liveliness (even though stickers are not my cup of tea in general)! And you totally have to do an actual tram at some point, please :cry_happy:

Edited by BrickBox

Thanks 'BrickBox' for your kind words, yes, a tram is planned....straight after the next two buildings, I'll have fun choosing it though ! :wacko::laugh:

Keep watching....updating later today. :wink: (hopefully :blush: )

Thanks for the positive words 'LT12V', and now as I promised....an update.

6893878121_4da9c75e73_b.jpg

More to come ! :grin:

Edit - found a shot of a Melbourne street scape with a Coles Store in it.

4623034759_46c41cfb3e.jpg

Edited by lightningtiger

Great work lightningtiger, the coles store and hardware shop remind me alot of a couple of buildings in my old home town. Im looking forward to seeing whats next :grin:

As always, I can only agree with the other comments, LT. It looks very interesting, and you always have your own style (and level) of details. - And I really look forward to see the tram running in the street :grin:

Thanks everyone today for commenting, 'HighFlyer' to answer your question photo sticker paper, ink jet printer and lots of mistakes ! :laugh:

I'm starting work on designing the interior of the store at the moment, require extra supplies to complete it.....though I have cups and plates, hair brushes and tools including oil cans. A spark of genius, I have designed a new design for an old cash register.....you'll have to wait and see it. :wink:

Updating with fresh photos tomorrow. :classic:

Very good job lightningtiger, I like very much the details and specially the stickers: they raise the bar of your creations!

Sooner or later I will have to print some stickers for my city, 1st step buy a printer! :classic:

Very good job lightningtiger, I like very much the details and specially the stickers: they raise the bar of your creations!

Sooner or later I will have to print some stickers for my city, 1st step buy a printer! :classic:

Thanks for the positive feedback 'Cunctator', I do love my stickering....you can say it's a Coles when it has a sign saying so eh ? :wink:

Shop fittings will be done tomorrow, so will the flooring and I hope for the stickering to go around the tops of the front windows.

Keep watching. :classic:

Love it LT.

Reminds me of my early days in brisbane. :thumbup:

Thanks 'brickie' for your kind words, I'm currently on the hunt for images of an early 50's bank and milk bar to sit side by side in one common structure....the milk bar will scream stickers.

Ideas, suggestions, feel free to comment. :classic:

LT

In the 50s and 60s in Brisbane at the top of Queen St, there was a 3 story bank built from stone on the corner.

Next to it was Chemist Roush where you could go to get what you wanted from the pharmacy. The best part of that shop was the milk bar along one side; real malted milk in an aluminium cylinder. Aaaahhhh! Memories.

Down the street was Coles in a 3 story building. On the 2nd floor was the cafeteria where, as kids. our favourite treat was a meat pie and 3 vegetables on a plate.

Of course this was in the middle of the big smoke; not a small town like the one you're building [tongue firmly in cheek].