Aanchir

New York Toy Fair Coverage Part One: Hero Factory

I don't like voltix. :angry: he's just a mass of rando colors and pieces. I could do a better lightning character. also i don't like how throughout the breakout theme(summer and winter) they use the same head not once...not twice...BUT THREE TIMES!

Edited by 19acomsto

I don't like voltix. :angry: he's just a mass of rando colors and pieces. I could do a better lightning character. also i don't like how throughout the breakout theme(summer and winter) they use the same head not once...not twice...BUT THREE TIMES!

I personally like Voltix's color scheme, even though I think it would be better if the blue wires were solid blue rather than blended so you'd truly get the intended electrical-wiring effect.

As for the reuse of the Black Phantom helmet, I know a lot of people who'd disagree just on the grounds that it means three different colors for that helmet piece. Additionally, the helmet has four connection points on the side, and the fact that different parts are attached to these connection points on all three sets the part appears in helps to differentiate them and demonstrate the helmet's versatility.

At least no heroes used that helmet, as Rocka did in a LEGO Club Jr. comic

I am not pleased with this new upgrade.

Also I find it kinda funny that Bionicle fans have always been demanding new purple sets, and now they we finally have one, nobody seems to like it. :P Yeah, voltix is a bit jumbled, but certainly has value in its parts.

That comic is an utter mess: Stormer and Furno in their 3.0 forms, the villains not being captured by their respective Hero rivals, , Rocka with BP helmet and silver crossbow, yellow Reapa, wrong positioned cladding in some characters, and there may be more.

So, Aanchir- can you confirm Stringer's helmet and shoulder armour are black? They look Titanium Metallic in some photos.

That's where that Evo supposed-to-be-funny-thing came from! That's probably not cannon anyway.

That comic is an utter mess: Stormer and Furno in their 3.0 forms, the villains not being captured by their respective Hero rivals, , Rocka with BP helmet and silver crossbow, yellow Reapa, wrong positioned cladding in some characters, and there may be more.

So, Aanchir- can you confirm Stringer's helmet and shoulder armour are black? They look Titanium Metallic in some photos.

The comic artist for that was probably just working with what they knew. Keep in mind that until videos started to show up for Breakout, we didn't know for sure that the Heroes would go back to their 2.0 forms before their Breakout upgrades. Also remember that many comics have been based on preliminary set designs, such as how the Toa Metru in the 2004 BIONICLE comics had different eye colors and no chest plates, or how Breez in the Hero Factory comics from 2010 had a purple Hero Core.

Stringer's helmet is black, but his shoulder armor is Titanium Metallic. It'd be nice if they matched, but it definitely still looks cool.

Yeah, I guess I was a bit too harsh on the artist. Still, those mistakes are pretty funny.

Thanks for the clarification about Stringer. A bit unexcepted, but that does make that piece more versatile IMO.

Edited by Shakar

Uhhh...yeah. Splitface is shown with a hero core on his chest.

The most successful sets of this summer in my opinion are the Core Hunter and Stringer 4.0.

The most failed one - XT4, no doubts. It looks like a child's MOC.

The most successful sets of this summer in my opinion are the Core Hunter and Stringer 4.0.

To me XT-4 looks rather spartan, but if he's a kid's MOC, he's made by a kid with a good sense of color organization and style. As it is, XT-4 strikes me as a robotic character with a weaker AI than that of heroes; perhaps a factory 'bot that ran amok and had to be locked up. His long, mostly shellless arms and legs give the feel of a robot designed with function being considered more than form. And of course, he'll be a desirable set in terms of parts if only due to his lovely new small torso.

I like simple, clean-looking sets like Core Hunter as much as the next guy, but I also think there's room for sets like XT-4 that do something new with the building style instead of using an ordinary framework and armoring it differently.

Also I find it kinda funny that Bionicle fans have always been demanding new purple sets, and now they we finally have one, nobody seems to like it. :P Yeah, voltix is a bit jumbled, but certainly has value in its parts.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that both the "purple" sets this wave actualy only have a small number of purple pieces each. Now, the second TLC releases a hero with purple as his main color, I'm certain everyone will be real happy, but as it stands Lego is still a bit "purple shy." :tongue:

Edited by Zarkan

I like simple, clean-looking sets like Core Hunter as much as the next guy, but I also think there's room for sets like XT-4 that do something new with the building style instead of using an ordinary framework and armoring it differently.

Your arguments are wise, but I am still thinking that XT-4 looks too incomplete for a successful set. It really looks like you said: unarmored and functional, even flexible maybe, but this isn't kind of thin and flexible robots I'd like.

I really like XT4, personally. The color scheme is well-organized, the build is well-balanced (with one spike and one larger weapon on each side, with an otherwise symmetrical design), and the overall design is very unique compared to the typical humanoid villain.

Most amateur MOCs I see tend to be ridiculously tall, disproportionate humanoids with armor and other details in an array of colors thrown on wherever possible. They're like most of the pre-2012 Hero Factory combiner models except larger and without the excuse of having limited parts to work with. XT4, in contrast, uses shells and other details quite sparingly, lending him a gangly alien-like anatomy.

The only criticism I'd make of his build is that the hose connected to his buzz-saw seems to form a useless loop from one side of that "hand" to the other rather than connecting elsewhere on his body. The main way I think his color scheme could be improved would be to make his claw silver metallic rather than titanium metallic and make his laser transparent red rather than transparent fluorescent reddish-orange. Other than those two things, no obvious flaws stand out to me.

@ Aanchir, I REALLY have nothing against non-humanoids. But this tiny torso and over-lengthened legs are just awful. I can't understand your excitement though I am trying.

I like XT4 because he has an interesting build. He is also great for new parts. He gives me the impression that he's a weak construction robot gone mad.

I don't have an opinion on xt4 yet because I haven't seen a picture with him posed correctly.

A while back someone made an LXF (LDD file) of XT4 using parts they could see in the already existent images. They then posed it and it looked pretty good. I wasn't able to find it for you on EB but I did find it on another forum which I was able to get the Brickshelf images from... So here you go! Pretty nice pose, eh?

A while back someone made an LXF (LDD file) of XT4 using parts they could see in the already existent images. They then posed it and it looked pretty good. I wasn't able to find it for you on EB but I did find it on another forum which I was able to get the Brickshelf images from... So here you go! Pretty nice pose, eh?

That's a very nice pose. I like how he's holding out his gun/laser.