pranas

2013 Packaging

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

It's probably way too early to start a thread for 2013 news/rumors, but yakface.com has gotten a first look at the brand wide packaging for all 2013 Star Wars products (LEGO most likely included, if this year's Darth Maul packaging is any indication). And it's going to be Yoda/AotC themed. Makes sense, as that is the next film in line to get the 3D treatment. :yoda:

Click here for the article

Yakface already got a hold of the rumor that the 2013 packaging would be Yoda a few months back, but now they have an actual official image of what it is going to look like:

yoda_20131.jpg

Personally I like this year's Darth Maul packaging better, but Yoda with a lightsaber is probably the most iconic image from Episode II. That and Yoda covers the PT, the OT, AND the Clone Wars, so he sort of ties the whole saga together. So not too bad, considering.

If this has already been posted elsewhere or belongs in an already established topic, please feel free to delete/merge.

Not too shabby. As an OT fan I'm naturally inclined to favor Yoda over Maul (even if Yoda's brandishing the saber we see him wield extensively in the prequel era but never in the classic trilogy), and having green as the dominant color is just a bonus for me.

That said, what I really want are Artoo and Threepio packages.

That and Yoda covers the PT, the OT, AND the Clone Wars, so he sort of ties the whole saga together.

Debatably, so do Obi and Anakin.

This looks nice, the green colorscheme looks pretty balanced, and you have to admire the novelty of having a hero on the box in 2011, then a villain in 2012, and then another hero in 2013.

EDIT: Anyone else notice the box says "SNIPE!"? Not exactly sure what that means, besides shooting someone from long range with a specially modified rifle. :wacko:

Edited by Darth Nihilus

The droids tie the saga together. There's no Yoda in A New Hope, and no Yoda in the post-OT EU.

In any case, nice find, and I agree, this is a good choice for Clones-based packaging.

Nice. I think a CGI scene inserted into ESB with Yoda dueling Luke is now called for. Not as good as the Maul packaging, or a potential Obi-Wan one but it looks nice, better tan the old clone one.

Ooh, nice. I know it's a bit weird to comment on packaging, but it does stand out a lot more than previous ones.

The overall green colour is nice. It'll stand out more with that.

Not too shabby. As an OT fan I'm naturally inclined to favor Yoda over Maul (even if Yoda's brandishing the saber we see him wield extensively in the prequel era but never in the classic trilogy), and having green as the dominant color is just a bonus for me.

That said, what I really want are Artoo and Threepio packages.

He lost it in ROTS and probably never made another.

No, he hid it underneath his bed inside the hut on Dagobah. Even TLG supports that idea. :tongue:

No, he hid it underneath his bed inside the hut on Dagobah. Even TLG supports that idea. :tongue:

That's right....the boy was getting back to his roots and nature at the same time ! :laugh:

I like it! And (I'm surprised no one else said this) maybe this means new AOTC sets next year! :thumbup:

I like this art better than the 2012 art actually. I am going to guess there is a strong chance for some new EP2 sets (finally) next year. :thumbup:

This is exactly what I was thinking. :laugh:

Sweet! My favorite color is green, so this is a pleasant surprise for me! Although I do wonder if Jango Fett wouldn't have been a better choice. Just imagine: Purple-silver packaging! :oh: Oh well, this looks great too, so I'm looking forward to see these boxes on the shelves!

gallery_5203_163_10909.png

But, why Yoda?

Because awesome he is, yes. :yoda:

Maybe because this was the first time when we saw him in action? I don't know. Again, I think Jango would have made more sense since the movie is about him and his clones.

Maybe because this was the first time when we saw him in action? I don't know. Again, I think Jango would have made more sense since the movie is about him and his clones.

This is a decision by Lucas Licensing for all their products, so maybe they know something about Yoda that we don't. After all, Darth Maul in this year's packaging was related not only to the 3D re-release of Menace, but also to the return of Maul in TCW.

EDIT: Anyone else notice the box says "SNIPE!"? Not exactly sure what that means, besides shooting someone from long range with a specially modified rifle. :wacko:

The word "snipe" has several meanings; in product package design I believe it refers to something like a sticker containing text, such as "limited edition," "Series 1," "Special Boba Fett mail-in offer," "collect all 16," "As seen on TV," etc.

... thus making this image of Yoda more representative of the PT than the OT, which is what I was getting at... but of course, Yoda is still emblematic of Star Wars generally, the OT included (albeit emphatically not of the original movie, the only theatrical installment in which he doesn't appear).

But, why Yoda?

Because he's a major Star Wars character? Who were you expecting - Indiana Jones? :tongue:

Why not Yoda? He's a very important character, and he's been sorely underrepresented on Star Wars toy packaging logos so far. As Oky notes, the installment taking center stage next year, Attack of the Clones, is also the one that first showed him in a conflict action-oriented role, allowing for the sort of dynamic pose seen here.

argh. I hate Darth Maul and I hate Yoda. Not personally, just the blatant marketing that this is giving the Lucas re-releases. Even on OT sets you have Darth Maul sitting there going 'hey, don't forget episode I in 3D is coming to a theater near you soon'.

GO AWAY! Its star wars, we get it already

Looking forward to the 2014 sets, with emo Anakin gurning at us from the boxes. Urgh.

Edited by mrklaw

argh. I hate Darth Maul and I hate Yoda. Not personally, just the blatant marketing that this is giving the Lucas re-releases. Even on OT sets you have Darth Maul sitting there going 'hey, don't forget episode I in 3D is coming to a theater near you soon'.

GO AWAY! Its star wars, we get it already

Looking forward to the 2014 sets, with emo Anakin gurning at us from the boxes. Urgh.

2014 would more likely have Vader.

Woot Woot! Just beautiful, this is the first time we will have green packaging for SW Lego! It reminds me of the action figure series Power of the Force from 2000-2002.

The word "snipe" has several meanings; in product package design I believe it refers to something like a sticker containing text, such as "limited edition," "Series 1," "Special Boba Fett mail-in offer," "collect all 16," "As seen on TV," etc.

Ah. So, it's like shooting the customers with a specially modified box then? :tongue:

Still, with green being my favorite color and AOTC being my favorite movie, I'm happy with the packaging. :classic:

Having Darth Maul or a clone trooper on the packaging didn't make any sense with the OT sets. Yoda is a far better choice since he plays a role in both PT and OT.

I think it looks great, and because they have to switch after this year's release of phantom menace, their only other options would have been Anakin and Kenobi or maybe Dooku to represent the new line, after so many clone boxes. The Yoda I think is the best option because there is no large amount of hate on him by any large factions, plus he is instantly recognizable and he is one of the icons of the star wars saga. And I have to say, even after the very nice Darth Maul packaging this year, this is even better, especially with the downward extension of the lightsaber outside the typical logo boundaries.

I love Yoda, but I think it's not good to choose him for 2013. I think Count Dooku oder maybe Mace Windu would be nicer for the year of the attack of the clones. Maybe the green do not fit to the sets that come next year. Maybe some sets of Genosis or maybe Kamino. Then the packing are green and tan or blue I think it's too colorfull for Star Wars. That's my opinion.