forumreader

Rumors and speculation: Haunted House Modular

Very interesting, but I'm still hesitant to believe that it's an actual modular building. It just seems so out of place there. Unless Lego decided to branch out the modular series into other, non-city themes...

What's next, a modular space base? Now that would be awesome, wouldn't it :grin:

True, I'm not necessarily convinced its a modular building too. But it could be something alone the lines of the market street? Not OFFICIALLY a modular building but can still connect with them?

It seems out of place which ever way you put it, out of place for modulars, too grand a scale for Monster Fighters, doesn't really match the MO for seasonal sets. Either way it looks really cool and I'll probably be buying it pending the price.

That looks sweet! I really hope it will be an official product. There are other things than Modular Houses in Lego's D2C roster, like the Medieval Market Village or the Kingdoms Joust. I hope and believe it's an upcoming set like those, whether or not it will be officially tied with Monster Fighters. By the looks of it it will be an instant buy for me.

One possible theory is that they're going to start releasing a yearly Halloween set, similar to the yearly Christmas sets. But more likely it's a D2C set for the Monster Fighters. Which is a shame, because this actually looks quite good, whereas Monster Fighters looks kind of silly to me.

Just because it's not connectable doesn't mean it can't be an modular. Think outside the box! Not every house in a town is build together. And I think the Town Hall shouldn't have been designed like that since almost every Town Halls is stand alone, but I guess it's to late for that now. :wink:

To detailed for regular Creator, perhaps it's not any genre at all - just a big hounted house. :classic:

Anyhow, I like the architecture of this house and will probably by it.

I'm really looking forward to the Haunted House set. Hopefully it has an intricate interior full of traps, like the Dracula Castle set! :classic:

Looks to large to be a regular set!?

Maybe something for Halloween? :pirate_skel1:

It would make sense, since the Monster line has a much simplier type of building.

But who knows? :oh:

But more likely it's a D2C set for the Monster Fighters. Which is a shame, because this actually looks quite good, whereas Monster Fighters looks kind of silly to me.

Does it matter how "silly" the theme is if the D2C set looks great by itself? Fantasy Era of the Castle had a lot of silly elements and the Medieval Market Village was part of that theme, but still it wasn't exactly a silly set.

I like the look of this building - and it is very similar to Badsneaker's Haunted House. Then again, it's pretty much a stereotypical image of what a haunted mansion would look like.

I agree with the people placing it outside the modular line. It just doesn't fit, no matter how much you think outside the box. I'd be very surprised if the design itself isn't modular, though, meaning that the floors lift off separately. No matter what it is, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished thing - provided it is actually an upcoming set:

Couldnt it just be a scrapped idea or prototype, or project just-for-fun, or something?

Of course it could. But do you remember how the red freight train 'mysteriously' appeared at a fan convention, even though no official news about it was released until four and a half months later? Or how several 2011 City sets were 'accidentally' revealed in the background of another Lego inside video? I think this is Lego's way of placing easter eggs in their own videos. I bet they're reading this forum, laughing at all the crazy speculation :)

I don't think its for Monster Hunters just because it has ghosts. It IS a haunted house, after all. Whatever theme it's going to fall under, I want it! I

I like the look of this building - and it is very similar to Badsneaker's Haunted House. Then again, it's pretty much a stereotypical image of what a haunted mansion would look like.

Definitely. Exactly what I said in my MOC thread. Its a very general idea of what most people would imagine a haunted house would look like. I'd love to see some better pics of it. I'd also like to do another version of my MOC but on a standard 10 x 10 plate with technic pins and fit it with other modulars. I think you could make it work if maybe you set the building back a little.

Does it matter how "silly" the theme is if the D2C set looks great by itself? Fantasy Era of the Castle had a lot of silly elements and the Medieval Market Village was part of that theme, but still it wasn't exactly a silly set.

But if it's the Monster Fighters D2C set, there won't be any more of its kind... whereas if it's the start of a new yearly Halloween theme, there will be more of it and you'll be able to build a Halloween Village.

Modular doesn't *have* to be attached on the sides. The 'scary house down the street' is a staple of many small towns and being detached could work well

And aren't these designer videos usually limited to higher end sets?

I think it looks fantastic. I hope its a modular series just so I know the detail will be there. If its just a large monsters set they might just go for scale without the intricacy that modular is known for.

And if it isn't modular, hopefully Lego have enough sense for any large buildings to at least be 'modular scale'

Edited by mrklaw

Looks to be a one off set and not part of the Modular line, there are no partition walls for it to fit with another modular, good looking building nonetheless

Looks to be a one off set and not part of the Modular line, there are no partition walls for it to fit with another modular, good looking building nonetheless

+1. I also don't expect it to be a part of the Town Modular line; more likely it's going to be something like the Medieval Market Village - an absolutely brilliant one-off D2C set that hasn't got too much to do with the rest of the theme it's a part of (in this case, Monster Fighters, presumably) - but is still utterly awesome. Besides, who cares what theme it belongs to; I'm definitely buying it regardless!

Yeah seriously, why does it matter if it is a part of Monster Fighters? I mean will it make the sales drop just because it is a new theme?

Chances are high that it'd be an exclusive from Monster Fighters.

Compared with the Monster Castle it is off scale quite a bit.

I also don't think it's a modular build. It looks to me like it doesn't have a wall on the back. It might be lighting or the poor quality of the stills but it hink the walls at the back are at some strange not 90 degree angle.

Whatever it is I'm also looking forward to this set.

This is the most exciting news I have seen in a long time - gosh, that house is stunning *oh2*

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm betting on the new exclusive seasonal line around halloween - in the same spirit as the winter village line, 1 set/year. It's more flexible than the modulars and it allows for a greater variety of builds as the sets are done around a theme and not a specific format.

One element in favor of the idea is that LEGO already gives a special consideration to Halloween with the small seasonal sets - just like Christmas.

This is the most exciting news I have seen in a long time - gosh, that house is stunning *oh2*

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'm betting on the new exclusive seasonal line around halloween - in the same spirit as the winter village line, 1 set/year. It's more flexible than the modulars and it allows for a greater variety of builds as the sets are done around a theme and not a specific format.

One element in favor of the idea is that LEGO already gives a special consideration to Halloween with the small seasonal sets - just like Christmas.

The only problem with the idea of yearly Halloween sets is that they've already covered a lot of that ground with the 'Monster Fighters' sets. What other Halloween ideas are there? Mad scientist with laboratory? Done. Vampire with castle? Done. Ghost train? Done.

On the other hand, a yearly Halloween theme will last a lot longer than Monster Fighters, so after a few years that will have been discontinued... also a lot of the new pieces and prints from MF can be used for the Halloween theme.

Personally, I think the way the ghosts are displayed in front of the house points to it being something you put on display, rather than something you play with... which would fit in with a yearly Halloween theme, but not MF.

I also think it's extraordinarily large for a D2C set for a 1-2 year theme. Especially a theme that doesn't exactly look like it's for older builders...

Edited by David Thomsen

In my perfect world, it'd be released under the CREATOR line, allowing for some flexibility. The way I see it, in Creator they could knock out special interest-type stuff independent of or perhaps only parallel to specific themes, allowing TLG greater flexibility with regards to timeframes of themes or product lines.

In a REALLY perfect world, we also get that thing for $99.99 USD-- but that's probably being unrealistic at best.