Bonaparte

10224 Town Hall

Greetings! :classic:

Looks like a wonderful additional, although I am not sure I am going to be able to take on the $200 Price tag :cry_sad: Great details though!

Ouch, I hope its only briefly...

A very clear warning was posted.

I've been looking through the TH official pictures a few times ever since they were posted, but I only noticed this now ... The room to the left on the ground level, is this like a museum or a waiting room? It looks like there is something like a marble bust there.

I do find this building a feeling of "mixed bag".

I like it a lot, but there are things that for some reason don't appeal all that much to me. It has a lot of detail, but in some ways it seems plain to me.

Two years ago I was selling Lego sets in my city at Christmas time, and I was selling a lot of Family Home 6754 sets. I asked the people who they were for, and every time it was for a little girl for Christmas, because most Lego isn't appealing to girls, but that one was.

I think because the TH set was designed by Astrid, a female, we will find many girls/women interested in this set. I think Lego is trying to bridge the gender gap with this set. I know it kind of started with the Pet Shop, but I think this is a trend we will start to see with this line. The Pet Shop was presented by Jamie, but I'm not sure if he designed it fully. This one is clearly designed by a women, so it will definitely appeal to girls/women as well (especially with the bride/groom part).

If more females become "addicted" to this line (modulars), they have done a good job, because if more people buy these modulars, there will be more created!

Locutis

This one is clearly designed by a women, so it will definitely appeal to girls/women as well (especially with the bride/groom part).

I agree to some level. But I dont think that more girls would go buy TH just because it has a female touch. Modulars are mostly bought by AFOL's because of the relatively high prices. Quiet a few of the AFOL's are very talentet women. But I doubt that loads of women will turn into AFOLs because of TH. It will be the most expensive modular to this date, and if you don't understand, that in fact it's worth every penny and are willing to pay the dough, I think many people would find it too expensive. At least for starters...

But who knows :sweet:

Edited by MadManMingo

I've been looking through the TH official pictures a few times ever since they were posted, but I only noticed this now ... The room to the left on the ground level, is this like a museum or a waiting room? It looks like there is something like a marble bust there.

I think its just a hallway to the elevator.

I think its just a hallway to the elevator.

Yeah, it's a hallway with a marble bust and what looks like a bench.

I'm intrigued on how to position this set within my city. I am leaning towards changing my layout to a "town square" with this building in the middle and everything else around it. Surround the Town Hall with grass, flowers, and maybe a fountain in front. I don't think I like the thought of sticking TH in between two other MODs. Just wouldn't look right.

I'm intrigued on how to position this set within my city. I am leaning towards changing my layout to a "town square" with this building in the middle and everything else around it. Surround the Town Hall with grass, flowers, and maybe a fountain in front. I don't think I like the thought of sticking TH in between two other MODs. Just wouldn't look right.

That, I think, is the big question in everyones mind who plans to buy this and has a City layout. It will be interesting to see all the updates to Cities with the TH in it. In mine, it will most likely be standalone, but at the moment, I have just my Modulars on display, so it'll go in line for now. Once I get my town back up, it'll replace 10194 Town Plan hall as a standalone with the fountain and some plants.

I'm thinking something along the lines of "Back to the Future" ... :tongue:

I'm thinking something along the lines of "Back to the Future" ... :tongue:

Exactly!

I'm Googling different fountains right now to get ideas. I can't wait until next Thursday!

I can't help feeling medium dark flesh would have been a better colour choice instead of dark orange. the dark orange seems to overwhelm the entire building. Almost making it seem threatening rather than welcoming. I also don't think this will look right unless you combine two sets. Giving it the depth and number of rooms you'd expect in a town hall. Maybe that's just my perfectionist side coming out. I'd want to have two elevators and a much larger auditorium. a wedding registry office with room for guests. And a staircase. the front portico I'd bring forward with a bigger balcony atop. I'd also have a births and deaths registry office. and a security guard at a reception desk. then with a bigger footprint I'd lower the ground floor ceiling.

It's an interesting building though. Some very nice touches. I don't think it's a girly building though. The other members of the design team would have had input and therefore it's really gender neutral.

The problem is, I would say, that the sides and back don't look very representative for a stand-alone building.

I can't help feeling medium dark flesh would have been a better colour choice instead of dark orange. the dark orange seems to overwhelm the entire building. Almost making it seem threatening rather than welcoming. I also don't think this will look right unless you combine two sets. Giving it the depth and number of rooms you'd expect in a town hall. Maybe that's just my perfectionist side coming out. I'd want to have two elevators and a much larger auditorium. a wedding registry office with room for guests. And a staircase. the front portico I'd bring forward with a bigger balcony atop. I'd also have a births and deaths registry office. and a security guard at a reception desk. then with a bigger footprint I'd lower the ground floor ceiling.

It's an interesting building though. Some very nice touches. I don't think it's a girly building though. The other members of the design team would have had input and therefore it's really gender neutral.

I think the whole, "they should've had this" complaint is tired. Everyone could find things they want different or would add "if" they made the set. I just think we should talk about what's there, rather than what isn't. If it had everything you mentioned added to it, the price would probably be double what it is. This isn't an attack at you either, so please don't take it as such. You just reminded me of the point. While I do like the current dark orange color, your suggestion of medium dark flesh would be awesome.

I think the whole, "they should've had this" complaint is tired. Everyone could find things they want different or would add "if" they made the set. I just think we should talk about what's there, rather than what isn't. If it had everything you mentioned added to it, the price would probably be double what it is. This isn't an attack at you either, so please don't take it as such. You just reminded me of the point. While I do like the current dark orange color, your suggestion of medium dark flesh would be awesome.

Cant't agree more!, Like I said before TLG is not going to please everybody all of the time with these sets, and the complaints are always the same colour is wrong, the back is to plain, it doesn't look good next to the other ones.

I even read on the GG thread that it's not "green enough" or that the first floor of GE is exactly the same as the second (Look around this is how 90% of all buildings are designed). For myself I still think these are the best buildings TLG has ever made

and my only complain is that they are not coming out fast enough. :tongue:

Edited by GRogall

I don't like the development of the way the floors are connected.

To save parts the top of the walls now have this element: 92593.jpg

The olders Modulars had a better system in which the floors fitted nicely together...

I am sure it is done to save large plates

The problem is, I would say, that the sides and back don't look very representative for a stand-alone building.

That is a valid concern, for sure. However, I don't think the back of the building is too bad. Maybe a small parking lot in back would make sense. The sides of the building are definitely not ideal for a stand alone building, though. I might try to put vines running up the sides so that there isn't just a huge blank wall.

I think dark orange suits it better than Medium Nougat (please don't say Medium Dark Flesh; it's one of the worst out of all the terrible names Bricklink gives colors). The bold color is well-balanced by the white detailing, in my opinion.

Also, for those who do desire to add to the Town Hall, remember that you can mod it. I have no doubt that by buying two of the set, BTD could add all the extra rooms he wanted and then some.

Merman, I have to say that having assembled the Pet Shop I love how that new piece helps floors fit together. It provides a very secure connection without requiring the mass of plates needed in the old modulars. The money that would go to adding those plates to the set can instead go to providing more detail.

I don't like the development of the way the floors are connected.

To save parts the top of the walls now have this element: 92593.jpg

The olders Modulars had a better system in which the floors fitted nicely together...

I am sure it is done to save large plates

I think this is my least favorite piece TLG has put out in recent years. I was fine when they were using them for the Creator sets, but I much prefer the system the original 5 modulars had over the Pet Shop.

As for the color I am thrilled that it is dark orange over medium dark flesh. For one, this means a color that was extremely rare will now be abundantly available. On a more selfish reason, I already made two modulars that are predominantly medium dark flesh (again, because that color is already common and easy to get in bulk), so this will add a nice contrast to the mix.

Cant't agree more!, Like I said before TLG is not going to please everybody all of the time with these sets, and the complaints are always the same colour is wrong, the back is to plain, it doesn't look good next to the other ones.

I even read on the GG thread that it's not "green enough" or that the first floor of GE is exactly the same as the second (Look around this is how 90% of all buildings are designed). For myself I still think these are the best buildings TLG has ever made

and my only complain is that they are not coming out fast enough. :tongue:

That's funny, that's my only complaint too. :laugh: I'd be delighted with 2 releases a year. I'm always excited and impressed by each new Modular. My biggest complaint about the TH is I have to wait til the 11th to get it. Maybe I'm not such a stickler for detail and accuracy as some, but I always find these impressive builds. I never understood all the flak Pet Shop got. Maybe that's partly due to me not being a MOCer and just being content with what LEGO does. Not to say that there isn't things I'd like to see differently, and just buy whatever LEGO sticks on the shelf. But, with Modulars, specifically, I don't see them doing wrong anywhere in the near future.

(please don't say Medium Dark Flesh; it's one of the worst out of all the terrible names Bricklink gives colors).

Thank you. I do think Medium Nougat would have been a nice color for the building, but that shouldn't be a difficult modification to make. The Dark Orange certainly suits it well, too - it's a much more subtle color in real life than the box art makes it seem.

A 360º movie of the set!

Thanks for that! This appears to be a better representation of the final colours. It's always the case with TLG - they alter the colours of their products for the packaging that go beyond their natural appearance. If this 360 imagery is how the final product looks in natural lighting, I'll certainly purchase it :grin:

The auction ends on March 1st, the date it will be released. I think the seller is trying make a few bucks off of someone thinking they can get it early.