Bonaparte

10224 Town Hall

...I know the Pet Shop came out before this and I should get that before Town Hall but this looks almost too good for me to wait until I have the Pet Shop first.

The Modular buildings stay on the shelves for approximately two years.

The Modular buildings stay on the shelves for approximately two years.

Two and a half to three, actually.

Two and a half to three, actually.

10197 Fire brigade was released in 9/2009 and is still available, though rumors are that it is soon to be sold out, so that gives us a shelf life of close to 2 1/2 years like you said. Previous sets varied with Market street being available for the least amount of time at about 1 1/2 years. Brickset.com has the availability dates. I assume production runs may go up as popularity increases. We'll have to wait and see when Fire Brigade runs out.

Edited by cerebus76

Actually, That four Modular Buildings available to purchase all at one time has never happened before!

I think it's because FB didn't sell as well as the others, or maybe they extended the retirement because it was released

in September 2009?

modular_available.jpg

Edited by GRogall

Actually, That four Modular Buildings available to purchase all at one time has never happened before!

I think it's because FB didn't sell as well as the others, or maybe they extended the retirement because it was released

in September 2009?

Yes, this is strange and I did not expect to see 4 available at once. Although, I suspect that the FB sold better so an extra production run was added. We may also be seeing a new marketing strategy by LEGO and there will always be 3-4 buildings available at any given time. Interesting to speculate. Anyhow back to talk about the TH, which I just picked up today :classic:

I think it is because the last batch of the FB was missing pieces so they had to fix that first before they could sell it. Before the TH came out the FB was out of stock because of this. I think Lego was planning to sell the last batch before the TH was out but because they couldn't do that they're selling it right now.

Edited by mcbbvb

I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with the floors sitting flush in the Town Hall. The most obvious one is the roof where the left back corner seem to be raised and does not sit flush when connected to the third floor (i made sure to build on a flat surface and the plates used for the floor was not warped or bent). In addition to this the second floor appear to be slight off set when its connected to the first floor. Is this due to the new tile two stud piece (only two being used) used on the top of each floor, and the open space by the elevator section?

What suggestions or solutions do you have for this?

6826318402_81a2154269.jpg

Untitled-Captured-01 by legokermie, on Flickr

Edited by kermit

I have the same problem also, but in much smaller degree. Mine is only slightly elevated... I would suggest replacing the flat plates on the other two corners with the in your post described 1x4 tile with two studs. I really don't see any other way around it. This solution can also be applied to the other floor, so it might not be off anymore.

I am wondering if anyone has had any problems with the floors sitting flush in the Town Hall.

I just finished building the Town Hall and noticed the same problem, although also not to this extent. I think it needs four connection points per floor to avoid these problems.

I merged this with the general Town Hall discussion thread. :classic:

I don't have this problem with the TH mine sits flush with the floor below it.

There is a slight problem though where the floor on the left side slightly get 1mm smaller towards the top on each floor.

If you run your hand down or up on the left side of the building you will feel what I mean! but its not a very big problem!

Thank you for merging my post Rick its much easier to follow, now I replaced the corner tiles with a 'L' shaped stud piece and now it fits flush, and not only that it is also mush stable. From taking a closer look I realized the problem was also attributed to much of the weight being towards the front on the roof. I also noticed that each floor was not given much stability in this model. For example in the first floor there were only fout pieces used to stabilize the floor plates. However when one presses sightly on them they do tend to sink from the lack of support. I do think though that should put stud tiles on all four ends like they did with the other modular buildings instead of only two on opposite ends. Other than that it is a fabulous middle and addition to any city. Lets just hope Lego continues this with either a museum/library (the museum being on the bottom and library on top).

p.s. thanks for the advice too.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's a shame they've stopped having the floors interlock like they did until the Pet Shop. With this new type of connection this kind of uneven floors are bound to happen, while it was never a problem with the earlier modulars. I wonder if this has been done to save pieces, as the old method required a bunch of plates, while now they can use bricks with only a single layer of tiles on top.

I don't have this problem with the TH mine sits flush with the floor below it.

There is a slight problem though where the floor on the left side slightly get 1mm smaller towards the top on each floor.

If you run your hand down or up on the left side of the building you will feel what I mean! but its not a very big problem!

At the opposite, mine is 1mm wider on the left side junction between the two first floors (the second floor I mean)... and face the same problem with the second floor on the first one, it is not "flush"... I had never noticed such issues with the previous modulars...and believe the two issues are linked. Maybe the new connection type is the root cause...

As we are a few highlighting these little glitches, I wonder if the TLG QA dpt. noticed it prior to production.. I personally don't mind since I can fix it as mentioned earlier (at least the flush thing) but for a set that is that price, I think it's a bit odd...

Anyhow, I really like the building but don't know yet how to insert it in my town layout.. I don't want to make a single street, and don't know if it would suit as a standalone building without anything around (place with fountain, little park...)default_sceptic.gif

Has anyone a good layout idea, or any images of their layouts including the TH???

Thanks and regards,

SB

At the opposite, mine is 1mm wider on the left side junction between the two first floors (the second floor I mean)... and face the same problem with the second floor on the first one, it is not "flush"... I had never noticed such issues with the previous modulars...and believe the two issues are linked. Maybe the new connection type is the root cause...

As we are a few highlighting these little glitches, I wonder if the TLG QA dpt. noticed it prior to production.. I personally don't mind since I can fix it as mentioned earlier (at least the flush thing) but for a set that is that price, I think it's a bit odd...

Anyhow, I really like the building but don't know yet how to insert it in my town layout.. I don't want to make a single street, and don't know if it would suit as a standalone building without anything around (place with fountain, little park...)default_sceptic.gif

Has anyone a good layout idea, or any images of their layouts including the TH???

Thanks and regards,

SB

It doesn't look bad at all with the other Modulars. Take a look at the CC interior thread. Also, as a stand alone set, you could couple it with the fountain from 10184 Town Plan, and add a little bit around it. That's what I'll end up doing once I'm able to redo my city. I, too, can't wait to see TH integrated into layouts.

It doesn't look bad at all with the other Modulars. Take a look at the CC interior thread. Also, as a stand alone set, you could couple it with the fountain from 10184 Town Plan, and add a little bit around it. That's what I'll end up doing once I'm able to redo my city. I, too, can't wait to see TH integrated into layouts.

Thanks Legocrazy81,

I saw the CC interior thread and all Modulars look good next to another, but I don't think it has a "town" spirit when all in a line.

You're right a fountain from 10184 Town Plan would look good, might try to copy it (don't have the set) and have a park around.

Cheers,

SB

Can't you just twist the floor a little to solve the problem? I've done that with a MacBook Pro whose lid wouldn't sit completely flush so Lego it should be easy.

Edited by gotoAndLego

Why is it so hard to keep money in your pocket???

Received money today, ordered Town Hall... Double VIP points :grin: Byebye money!

Thanks and regards,

SB

I am have the same problem...the front left and back right have 1mm sticking out.

Is this because of the new 1x4 connection method?

How do you fix it?

Edited by clcwong

I am have the same problem...the front left and back right have 1mm sticking out.

Is this because of the new 1x4 connection method?

How do you fix it?

I believe the problem stems from the use of the 6x24 plates, which have some pretty hefty 'bowing' or warping. Maybe using multiple smaller plates in the design could have avoided this. I don't think it has to do with 1x4 plates with two studs.

I have added 1x1 or 1x2 plates to each corner where there were only tiles, making all corners sit flush with each other. This does seem to exert quite it a bit of pressure on the overall structure and even creates a slight hairline fissure between the different levels, so I'm not completely satisfied with this solution.

I hope swapping the 6x24 plates with multiple smaller ones will correct this 'design flaw' - but I don't feel like taking everything apart right now just after finishing building the set.

Otherwise, it really is a beauty of a set :wub:

I believe the problem stems from the use of the 6x24 plates, which have some pretty hefty 'bowing' or warping. Maybe using multiple smaller plates in the design could have avoided this. I don't think it has to do with 1x4 plates with two studs.

I agree. Problem are the big plates. :sceptic:

I noticed the issue already in the early beginning while building 1st / 2nd floor. I tried to counter the problem by bending / twisting the whole floor in the early beginning, which worked quite well and left only a minor, nearly not noticable gap in the end. :tongue:

I just opened the enormous TH box today and built the first floor.

I am amazed at how huge the box is! The contents filled about two thirds of the box.

Could Lego shake these a bit at the factory and use a much smaller box? It was difficult carrying this box out of the mall to my car; no way would I have wanted to lug this behemoth home on public transportation.

Otherwise I love the set so far!

I agree. Problem are the big plates. :sceptic:

I noticed the issue already in the early beginning while building 1st / 2nd floor. I tried to counter the problem by bending / twisting the whole floor in the early beginning, which worked quite well and left only a minor, nearly not noticable gap in the end. :tongue:

How do you twist them? :sceptic: I still can't figure out how to fix it...just sent an email to Lego

How do you twist them? :sceptic: I still can't figure out how to fix it...just sent an email to Lego

Hold opposite sides or corners and twist gently in opposite directions.

Hold opposite sides or corners and twist gently in opposite directions.

Exactly what I did :wink:

Good luck. :classic: