Sign in to follow this  
Blondie-Wan

Star Wars: Battle of Hoth not to get US release?!

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

From BoardGameGeek:

• A usually reliable source has informed me that Star Wars: Battle of Hoth, a new title in the LEGO games series due out in 2012 that hotted up a number of BGG News readers, will not be available in the U.S. due to licensing issues. I'll be at NY Toy Fair next week to check up on this info.

I know Star Wars licensees have gotten hot and bothered over the any perception of a fellow licensee spilling over into their turf in the past, but... still. Can it be? Does anyone here know whether there's any truth to this?

Sounds plausible to me. The game was nowhere to be seen in the NY TF pics and vids, so I guess it must be true. :sad:

Curse you, Hasbro! :sing:

(I'm sure they've got something to do with this. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they stole the idea and made their own buildable SW boardgame. :hmpf_bad: )

Perhaps we should see if we could afford some of those for prizes and run a contest?

It would require that you guys start using our amazon links for shopping though :classic:

Sounds plausible to me. The game was nowhere to be seen in the NY TF pics and vids, so I guess it must be true. :sad:

Curse you, Hasbro! :sing:

(I'm sure they've got something to do with this. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they stole the idea and made their own buildable SW boardgame. :hmpf_bad: )

Hasbro stole the concept for LEGO Games with their U-Build brand. Before the LEGO Games theme, Hasbro never had any serious competition in the board games aisle. It allowed them to leverage brands (like Monopoly) to get away with making games using extremely cheap and flimsy materials.

Hasbro may have found some legal ground through its use of the Star Wars license to make the Monopoly Star Wars Clone Wars Edition and the R2D2 in Trouble Star Wars Game.

:sceptic: MegaBloks.

Well, I must say that I agree, there's a good chance Hasbro is behind this. :hmpf_bad: Interesting that TLG didn't seem to have any problem with the HP board game, though. Some quick Googling found at lease one game made by Hasbro.

Actually I doubt this may have to do with Hasbro, but rather Fantasy Flight Games, the company with the RPG/TCG/Miniature game license. Personally, in this case I think Lego might be villain and crazy uncle George's lawyer team looking out for the little guy for a change.

I'll echo Doc here: "Megablocks."

I was thinking of making this my first board game but it seems it's not too be. Maybe, I'll get someone in the in Europe to send me one or something.....