Siegfried

CONTEST: To sail the Technic sea...

This is an interesting comp I like it. maybe I will have a go but i won't have much time before april. Can't wait to see what other people make.

But, I'll see if we can have more LDD contests in the future... and I'll try in future to be more accepting of LDD. I have no problem with adding a LDD category to this contest though, but it'd be with a virtual prize; we've blown our budget on this one already! :laugh:

If you ever want to make a contest with accepting digital files, don't use ldd. It is horrible with Technic, so you can better use sr3d builder. It works the same like ldd (with auto-allign and the "ldd view mode"...), but it works much better with Technic. It is even made almost for Technic, because you can test your gears and pneumatic and suspension (almost I think) and more :thumbup:

I'm a big LDD fan, but to be brutally honest it's pretty awful when it comes to Technic building. Aside from lacking a lot of key parts it's often deeply frustrating trying to persuade it to mesh various gear combinations without enormous amounts of tweaking all over the place. I don't think it's quite "Technic Competition" ready just yet.

If you ever want to make a contest with accepting digital files, don't use ldd. It is horrible with Technic, so you can better use sr3d builder. It works the same like ldd (with auto-allign and the "ldd view mode"...), but it works much better with Technic. It is even made almost for Technic, because you can test your gears and pneumatic and suspension (almost I think) and more :thumbup:

Thanks guys. :sweet: To be honest, I know very little about LDD. I work on a computer all day, and I do a lot of work here, so using a computer for LEGO building isn't too appealing... :laugh:

I really don't think virtual computer models are at all useful when it comes to technic competitions. Technic is about functionality more so than it is about looks. A computer models shows you what something looks like, but whilst it might work theoreticly, it does not give any indication that it will work in the real world. Therefore a computer model will not give the judges enough of the information they need to accurately judge a model. Of course if you can get someone to build your model for you then you could submit it as a joint effort I suppose.

But please note that any wheeled MOCs stand a good chance of being penalised.

So no amphibious vehicles of some sort?

I wasn't really planning on one, but just to be sure.

OH man that rules out my creation that i already started after seeing this competition, I was gonna do a 4 wheel drive amphib boat,

terraquad.jpg

i spent ages starting to build it already, trying to sort out how the wheels would fold up out of the water! Gahhhhhh! & my other idea for this was a water logging vehicle that also has massive floatation wheels , oh well back to the drawing board. :angry:

heres the logging swamp buggy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-ofjAmTrcc

Edited by Rodeown

What about small and well hidden wheels just to demonstrate the moving of my creation (like if i have a boat with a motor and when the propeller turns, the "invisible" wheels make the creation move -because we all know that a propeller wouldn't move a boat lying on the table- and it's much cooler if a creation moves (swims)around..)

OH man that rules out my creation that i already started after seeing this competition, I was gonna do a 4 wheel drive amphib boat,

What about small and well hidden wheels just to demonstrate the moving of my creation (like if i have a boat with a motor and when the propeller turns, the "invisible" wheels make the creation move -because we all know that a propeller wouldn't move a boat lying on the table- and it's much cooler if a creation moves (swims)around..)

No one said wheels were against the rules, only that they might count against you in that the intent of the contest is to produce a water vehicle. If you design a car, it is not going to do well in this contest. However, an amphib boat like suggested seems like quite an imaginative use of wheels. I don't think anyone would be penalized for hiding some wheels for practical purposes either. In fact, every one of the official LEGO Technic water vehicles does exactly this.

I'd love to enter but I have one question. Are we allowed to make our models watertight by covering certain areas with clingfilm or other watertight materials?

Edited by TheKingOfBuilding

No one said wheels were against the rules, only that they might count against you in that the intent of the contest is to produce a water vehicle. If you design a car, it is not going to do well in this contest. However, an amphib boat like suggested seems like quite an imaginative use of wheels. I don't think anyone would be penalized for hiding some wheels for practical purposes either. In fact, every one of the official LEGO Technic water vehicles does exactly this.

Yes, 100% correct. I'd love to see that amphibious craft...

I'd love to enter but I have one question. Are we allowed to make our models watertight by covering certain areas with clingfilm or other watertight materials?

No, that would break the "LEGO and only LEGO" rule.

No, that would break the "LEGO and only LEGO" rule.

And if it is LEGO-bag from parts?

Or original individual bag from PF element? :blush:

And if it is LEGO-bag from parts?

Or original individual bag from PF element? :blush:

Good idea! But how would you attach the bags together?

Oh I know, use the sellotape that seals a Lego set's box and lid together - surely that would be allowed? After all it is sort of to do with official Lego pieces, and it is included in official sets :laugh:

Does that include tracked vehicles (so, it's amphibious, but with tracks instead of wheels, (it's like the real thing))?

But how would you attach the bags together?

Oh I know, use the sellotape that seals a Lego set's box and lid together

Exactly. You read my mind. :laugh:

Or can use a stickers. LEGO-stickers from sets. :classic:

But I also thought about a simple clamp of the two technic beams. :blush:

great idea for a competition. :classic: I'm going to have to enter this and i think i may have a idea already...

One question: Can we have photos and a video?

Edited by apemax

One question: Can we have photos and a video?

yup you can that question was answered earlier in the post.

tim

yup you can that question was answered earlier in the post.

tim

ok thanks. :classic:

One more question: I imagine hovercraft are allowed? :grin:

Edited by apemax

terraquad.jpg

if you could make those wheels drive and retract and all fit in a model you sir would have my vote so I say go for it

One more question: I imagine hovercraft are allowed? :grin:

Yes. Hidden wheels for that kind of MOC are allowed too.

if you could make those wheels drive and retract and all fit in a model you sir would have my vote so I say go for it

Yeah. I'd like to see that! :sweet:

getting them to drive and retract is sorted, I already did that, but allowing the front ones to drive,retract and turn is the problem I am working on at the moment, I will get there though, I hate to be beaten by things.

before i think about my entry i will see something clear:

the original from the model must could swim.

it is not enough that the mod is using a medium (snow/Ice/steam) of water.

is this correct?