Sign in to follow this  
Xyver

MOD Cafe Corner

indexed.gif B-OM-12E

Coming out of my dark ages after most of the modulars have been and gone, I didn't feel like scouring BrickLink for all the parts to make Cafe Corner so I thought I'd give it a go with the pieces I do have.

I had to change most of the colours and the decorative pieces, but I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. I also don't have many spare tiles, so the footpath will have to wait.

Front

Cafe_Corner_front.jpg

right side

Cafe_Corner_right.jpg

left side

Cafe_Corner_left.jpg

Some close ups

ground floor

Cafe_Corner_ground.jpg

1st floor

Cafe_Corner_lvl1.jpg

top floor

Cafe_Corner_lvl2.jpg

sign - I don't have many 1x1 plates, but plenty of 1x1 round plates so I used them instead

Cafe_Corner_sign.jpg

back - I ran out of dark bley bricks, so had to use the castle panels instead

Cafe_corner_back.jpg

Now to make some of the others to increase the size of my town.

Very nice creation, it's clever to use different pieces to recreate a set, good thinking! :thumbup:

If you replace the blue bricks with white on the front of the ground floor, this could look quite spectacular!

Welcome out of the your "dark ages", its a whole new world on the other side :wink:

It certainly looks different from the original...

Personally I would have made something sligthly different with the amount of bricks, instead of something that "wants" to look like CC.

The above is not meant in a negative sence. Just a friendly comment :sweet:

Very nice! I like the Cafe Corner, and I like your version. The architectural changes are quite good. It just shows what can be done with a little creativity. The dark colors are not my favorite, but I applaud you for being able to use what you had and come up with such a nice creation.

To me with the Cafe Corner (because it is out of production) it is not about an exact copy, but something that pleases you.

I look forward to more of your MODs and MOCs.

Andy D

Welcome out of the your "dark ages", its a whole new world on the other side :wink:

It certainly looks different from the original...

Personally I would have made something sligthly different with the amount of bricks, instead of something that "wants" to look like CC.

The above is not meant in a negative sence. Just a friendly comment :sweet:

The point was to make the Cafe Corner set...

That is a great job. The castle walls on the back even look fitting there. I like the dark grey color, but I would've continued the red facade to the floor below.(although I get it if you didn't have the pieces) I LOVE your hotel sign.

I realy like your effort. It gives me the feeling of CC. I love the way you made use of your own bricks and be creative with them. Love the way it came out.

By the way. Welcom in the world of modular building. Love to see what you show us next.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm glad people like what I've done.

MadManMingo, I quite like the design of the CC which is why I wanted to recreate it as best I could. Also, most of my other city builds are fairly plain as I'm not that artistically creative, so this was also a build to see how some things are done so I can incorporate something similar into future builds.

As for the colours, well they weren't my preferred choice, but the best I could do with what I have, though I do think it turned out rather nicely. I've got the ground floor of a larger firestation built, just thinking of how to do the next level, so all my red is already spoken for. All the houses are white, so wanted to do something with more colour and I didn't think yellow would look that good for this one. I've done a few Historica builds so had ordered quite a lot of dark bley for them, but only used it in my last build which I didn't like the look of, so I pulled that apart and made this instead.

Legocrazy81, once I'd finished it I thought it would look better with facade the whole way down, but I only had two round 1x1 bricks left in red so left it how it was.

HighFlyer, I will give the front a go in white, I think you might be right in that looking better.

I'll make these couple of changes and upload the results.

Edit:

I've made the changes, the white front didn't work in my opinion, but I've kept the red facade on the first level, not sure if it makes it look any better or not:

Cafe_Corner_front1.jpg

Edited by Xyver

It that case, it's a good job. CC has a lot of educational building-technics in it, and I'm looking forward to see what you build in the future with this knowledge.

I think people might have misunderstood what I meant. Personally i didn't like the colour combination very much. I think the bright red is a bit too dominating. But hey... thats my problem :wink: The use of golden 1x1 in the Hotel-sign is quiet good. It's a great build, when you want to explore with what you've got. I just thought that there were room for constructive comments.

But no bad feelings :sweet:

It that case, it's a good job. CC has a lot of educational building-technics in it, and I'm looking forward to see what you build in the future with this knowledge.

I think people might have misunderstood what I meant. Personally i didn't like the colour combination very much. I think the bright red is a bit too dominating. But hey... thats my problem :wink: The use of golden 1x1 in the Hotel-sign is quiet good. It's a great build, when you want to explore with what you've got. I just thought that there were room for constructive comments.

But no bad feelings :sweet:

No bad feelings, I understand what you meant, I'm always open to constructive criticism, its the only way to learn what works and what doesn't.

I'd like to build MOCs to the standard of what other people post on here, some of them are just amazing, but you can only learn so much from a few photos and I figured the best place to start to learn the required techniques was from the modulars as the instructions are freely available.

As for colour choice, well, that's always personal opinion. Red isn't the best choice of colours I agree, but I do like the way it turned out.

No bad feelings, I understand what you meant, I'm always open to constructive criticism, its the only way to learn what works and what doesn't.

I'd like to build MOCs to the standard of what other people post on here, some of them are just amazing, but you can only learn so much from a few photos and I figured the best place to start to learn the required techniques was from the modulars as the instructions are freely available.

As for colour choice, well, that's always personal opinion. Red isn't the best choice of colours I agree, but I do like the way it turned out.

That's a good mindset to have.

Something I have done is look at an equivilent MOC you like, compare it to yours and write a list of the things you feel yours is lacking. Then you can plan out the details and techniques you want to achieve with yours.

Initilly, your colorscheme is a bit lacking, that blue on the bottom floor stands out the most; as someone said you should change it to white. Next I'd change the red awning to alternating colors. While I don't thinkg the gold 1x1 rounds in the sign are bad, they are overwhelmed by the red. Something else that gives the original more detailing, is alternating the roof slants by one plate height. usually its small but meaningful details like that.

In the end, the more you build the more you will figure out. Just keep at it.

Edited by gotoAndLego

I like how it turned out considering the limited part availability. In particular I like the sign with gold plates :thumbup:.

As soon as you will tile the footpath the global look will improve.

I'm glad you understand :sweet:. And you'r absolutely right. The best way to really get to know the bio of modulars, is to get your hands dirty. Good luck on your way!!!