spzero

Identifying a Santa Fe Car in a Brick Lot

I picked up a job lot of train stuff all 9volt from early thru to more modern (as far as 9v goes') now there was a few moc's but mainly sets, there was also lots and lot of grey bricks slopes doors etc and i think i might have a santa fee coach in there. My question is

How can I tell it's the real deal or are they just a bunch of bricks as they seam to be worth more than there some of parts maybe I should sell it and get something more fitting to my layout, (it has no stickers on and was in bits) maybe with some stickers even repo's or as is i can sell it and buy a nice engine maybe part of a EN, :D

Well, there's no way of telling if it's the actual if theres no instructions or anything. However, it may be worth looking at the intsructions on the internet, checking if all the bricks are there, and if they are, you could sell it. Also, it's a good idea to check if the minifigure(s) that are in the set are there :classic:

Edited by Lance

How can I tell it's the real deal or are they just a bunch of bricks as they seam to be worth more than there some of parts maybe I should sell it and get something more fitting to my layout, (it has no stickers on and was in bits) maybe with some stickers even repo's or as is i can sell it and buy a nice

If you have pearl light grey 1x2 bricks with moulded grill pattern (horizontal one side, vertical the other) then

Most likely it is remains of a SF carriage. Same If there are 6x28 train base in dark grey. Other likely pointers will be some long bricks in light grey and lots of curved roof pieces. Check the bricklink.com inventory for 10022 and 10025. Depending upon how much may be missing you can either rebuild, or sell another "partial" lot.

If it is the 'real deal', how much would you be selling it for? I actually like the sound of a Santa Fe Carridge :blush:

And yes if it's the real one, the grey peices would differ to the ones of today.

If there's a bunch of:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=6215&in=S

in light gray there, you probably have something Santa Fe, as those were the only sets that had them in quantity.

Yeah I have loads enough for a complete coach / carriage what ever you wanna call it and a load of these in pearl light grey , think i may make up a coach and see if i like it,

looking at the inventery I think I may struggle to complete a full coach but most should be there, all the lego train stuff is in one of the 2 big boxes full of trains, no idea on value as it is, I will hunt around tomorrow and see what I can find, how complete it is, the lego is in the kids room and they are asleep at the mo.

Edited by spzero

The problem with the bricks being mixed in with a lot a random bricks is that they probably have scratches. People are very picky about their Santa Fe coaches, and with scratches and without stickers it might not be worth that much

Then it sounds right; there are some other tricks. macaroni (2x2 corner) bricks would indicate the 10022 version; similarly lots of brown rail pieces it could mean the baggage car 10025. Just see how far you get and document the fun process... fun because I know I did the same in the past!

Brown rail pieces? what do you mean?! I have looked at the inventory of 10025 and I don't see it.

thanks to all so far, ok!! I have not had much time to sort today as family is up and I've been at my mum's most of the day. but the obvious pieces I did find are the following im still not sure i have a weird number of doors, it should be 1 of each or 4 of each depending on which set I had, but there is 3 of one and 5 of another, also got the macoronis and the brown rails, maybe they are just leftovers from someone making 7/8 wide, extra long or moc's based on the santa fe cars, there is more but here's what I found so far.

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

The only people I heard of doing brown rails are the

. They have an enlighten Heavy Duty Locomotive known as Frisco Fe (Kyphur has some links) with slightly different portholes.

If the studs of the bricks are not labelled 'Lego' in small, then it is a clone brand.

The only people I heard of doing brown rails are the

. They have an enlighten Heavy Duty Locomotive known as Frisco Fe (Kyphur has some links) with slightly different portholes.

If the studs of the bricks are not labelled 'Lego' in small, then it is a clone brand.

its all lego, I can normally tell fake lego a mile off, it just dosent look right, it dosent feel right and its not got lego stamped on it, we have a few bits of mega blocks and the like mixed our collection, it has no real 2nd hand value and so i'd rather keep it then throw it away but I may one day pull it all out and throw it, its terrible stuff has no clamping power,

tho i think the first mention of brown rail ment "Brown Fence Spindled 1 x 4 x 2"

Edited by spzero

Looking at the photos which popped up whilst writing - it looks like the remains of a baggage car (10025); or perhaps someone was collecting bricklink orders to make a complete one. My statement on checking the 'lego stud' remains.

But to be honest, you will be hard pushed to get a complete set; what with most of the light grey bricks missing. You are almost better off (in my view) either selling as a lot, or selling individual elements on bricklink. However should you wish to build the bits together, then it is probably worth the satisfaction, although cost might be high. :wacko:

there is deffo parts missing, however I have no desire to keep this i'd rather something more English, esp a Emereald Night as I live quite near an old steam line and its the kind of thing people round here see, I have a maersk nib and a few diesel's and some really nice coaches that need a steamer, I dont have a santa fe engine so think its pointless keeping her.

So I think I will try and find all the bits and offer her for sale incomplete, I'm happy to keep the bricks for mocing if i cant get a fair price esp the train parts, but i think someone else could make use of these ones to build a nice custome santa fe car,

there is deffo parts missing, however I have no desire to keep this i'd rather something more English, esp a Emereald Night as I live quite near an old steam line and its the kind of thing people round here see, I have a maersk nib and a few diesel's and some really nice coaches that need a steamer, I dont have a santa fe engine so think its pointless keeping her.

So I think I will try and find all the bits and offer her for sale incomplete, I'm happy to keep the bricks for mocing if i cant get a fair price esp the train parts, but i think someone else could make use of these ones to build a nice custome santa fe car,

Will you be selling it here on EB? If so, I may be interested.

If the user above me doesn't buy them i definitely will, im looking to expand my santa fe train cars.

Right I will search for the rest of the pieces that I can find and see what we can come up with, I'll post a add and new pics in the BST threads and PM the above posters to have first dibs, but I've no idea what it's worth, or what to ask,

There is deffo more light and dark grey etc in the train box's. so will see how it goes.

Thanks

I'll never say no (unless the price is too high) but am happy to let the others have first dibs...

I'll never say no (unless the price is too high) but am happy to let the others have first dibs...

ok here's what i found so far

DSC_0022.JPG

and some close ups

DSC_0023.JPG

DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

DSC_0026.JPG

DSC_0027.JPG

DSC_0028.JPG

looks like I cant yet start a new B/S/T topic so I'm open to offers once I can or I may put it on ebay, if that's gunna be a while.

The windscreen piece is from the Santa Fe locomotive; the windows clearly from a carriage. Either someone really ripped out a couple of 'Santa Fe' items; or they were stockpiling from Bricklink. Either way a good lot.

Ok due to not being able to use the B/S/T section I have listed this on a well known online auction site, i dont wanna break any rules of self-promotion so have not included a link,

thanks for all your help and happy bricking!