SwissBrick

Worth keeping a spare Modular for resale?

Hi all,

if someone has experience with this, you might help me, thanks in advance!

I bought Fire Brigade when it cam out through LEGO shop at home and was very happy with it as it is.

Then I saw one on sale in a shop where usually there's no Modular or exclusive sets. So I couldn't resist to take it. I made my first MOC with it and am glad to be able to take it apart again and try new designs.

Now I see Fire Brigade in almost any toy store in my region... for sale again...! And of course took another one... as it really is worth it (compared to the price I paid when it first came out)!!

But now I don't know what to do... Should I open it and use the bricks for own creations, build another floor for my usual FB or keep it unopened and wait a few years to sell it?

I think it will never reach the value of Cafe Corner, but who knows, it might pay back for the two others I bought...?

What do you think???

Thanks and cheers from cold switzerland!

Sell it in a few years - you'll be able to buy the next 3 generations of modulars with the money. :thumbup:

Like any investment it is a risk, but if you had the opportunity to get these sets cheap then it's worth storing them away, you won't know the extra value until the set is retired

This topic has been discussed more than once already:

Buy a set simply to sell it for profit?

Are LEGO 2011 sets' values increasing?

You will certainly be able to sell the set for more than the retail price once it is discontinued. However, it is up to you to decide whether the chance of earning 100-200€ a few years from now is worth the hassle of keeping the sealed box in perfect condition all this time.

Since you already bought the set, I'd say keep it and resell it in a few years, given that you can resist to open it that long. I'd also say if you're at it, stock up on the maersk train and other modulars as well. If you're going to do it, do it right :devil:

If you are buying for pure re-sale, then you might have a chance of regretting few years down the road if the prices didn't rise as high as you might think.

If you are buying because you really like the set and don't mind a few more and be willing to let go at a reasonable price next time then by all means buy as much as you like (but I have to warn you that few years later you might not want to let go of your sets since they have gotten rare or you have fallen in love with your sets).

Anyway, if you have the money and space to store, BUY IT NOW AND REGRET LATER!

If you have the storage space (Guaranteed to keep it MISB) and the money, it is a good long term investment. BUt keep in mind that you are not going to be the only person doing it. Scalpers probably buy dozens of modulars just in case, so it will be a while before there is enough scarcity to double the original price...

Edited by vexorian

the most important is buy a set that you like. in the event u are unable to sell, u can, at least, open it and build it.

This topic has been discussed more than once already:

Buy a set simply to sell it for profit?

Are LEGO 2011 sets' values increasing?

You will certainly be able to sell the set for more than the retail price once it is discontinued. However, it is up to you to decide whether the chance of earning 100-200€ a few years from now is worth the hassle of keeping the sealed box in perfect condition all this time.

Since you already bought the set, I'd say keep it and resell it in a few years, given that you can resist to open it that long. I'd also say if you're at it, stock up on the maersk train and other modulars as well. If you're going to do it, do it right :devil:

Thank you ALL for your constructive answers and especially BrickBox for the links..!

Well, I think I'll just keep it, since I bought another one again yesterday...default_devg1.gif

As mentioned, I don't know if the price is going to increase a lot when discontinued but anyhow, for the price I paid it is an incredible good brick/price ratio! And I love the colors of the set.

In case I can't resist to open one more/if the price doesn't increase much, I will still have a spare one. And if the price increases a lot, I'll just wait a bit more with the two spare ones.

Anyway, I don't think I am going to buy more than two modulars/other rare items unless they are really cheap/on sale since I don't really do it for investment but to reimburse the ones I bought.

I saw a guy on french tv a few months ago who had stored for over 200'000 euros worth of Legos for resale purposes... I think that at this scale it can only be a good deal, even if the price increase is only 10% in 3 years..default_blink.gif

Has anyone else noticed that FB was to sell all over the place and always on sale??? Does TLG have a huge amount left and needs to make place for the upcoming Town Hall?

Thanks again and cheers from very cold switzerland!