Etzel

The Northmen's house in Petraea

6840593559_6c45d174e7.jpg

The Kaliphlin capital of Petraea is the centre of trade and administration in the south. People from all over the world gather here and even some adventurers from the cold northern regions of Mitgardia ends up here. Therefore, the northern guild has put up an embassy in Petraea to assist their countrymen in need.

6840593945_74c2de7cb4.jpg

The embassy is located not far from one of the many city gates in a neighbourhood that hosts both wealthy and poor.

6840591371_0a0c364040.jpg

The Petraean City Guards are dressed in the Kaliphlin Guild's colours, red and dark blue, colours that also can be seen on several houses in the city.

6840591113_b77bb40dd3.jpg

Even though the Kaliphlins are usually hard working people, some lazy bums can be found in every society.

6840590911_dca95d7983.jpg

Southern decadence in one of the more wealthy houses.

6840589413_3a8dee2fce.jpg

The Northmen's house got a nice view, situated on top of a small hill. The strong sunshine quickly fades away the colours so repainting is always needed.

6840588107_6a1e0e9549.jpg

From the left we can see some stairs leading up towards the higher level of the city.

6840587001_69f09fa0be.jpg

Back side, and a better view of the embassy.

6840586385_7f7d743b71.jpg

And here we have the ambassador himself, drenched in sweat. Not only because of the heat but also because he's having a hard argument with a local resident of high status.

6840584601_9ba6dabaed.jpg

View from the right.

6840585633_798449dd2b.jpg

An aerial shot of the neighbourhood from the highest tower.

Many more photos can be found in my Flickr here: LINK

Thank you for checking out this MOC of mine. I've never built anything with so many angles, and it was very challenging to make it all fit together. But I'm quite pleased with the result and especially with how the brown house with the red roof on the wall turned out. I find it very fun to look at it IRL with all its different houses and small areas, I hope I've been able to catch at least some of that with my photos.

Wow, just wow :oh: . There's so much to take in, so many details to look at. This is a great MOC! It really gives that big, busy city in some hot country vibe. It's superb! My favorite detail has got to be the microfig sitting between the windows of the embassy, nice :thumbup: .

Wow! At first I thought that this was forced-perspective, but theen when it was minifigure scale I liked it even more. You have represented well. Awesome work. default_thumbup.gif

Holy crap dude, there is so much to see here! So many colours, so many angles. It takes at least 20 pictures to show everything that's going on. I can imagine the pain to get it all fixed.

Do people get lost in your embassy?

Amazing! You didn't just build an embassy, you built a section of a busy city! So many details to notice, that is great!

Two questions, why does the embassy have a chimeny in the desert? Is there anything under the embassy (inside the hill)?

Well done!

Amazing! You didn't just build an embassy, you built a section of a busy city! So many details to notice, that is great!

Two questions, why does the embassy have a chimeny in the desert? Is there anything under the embassy (inside the hill)?

Well done!

Thanks, I'm happy you liked it. :sweet:

The embassy has a chimney because that's an essential part of a house in Mitgardia. I wanted the embassy to have a typical Mitgardian style even though it was placed in a completely different environment then usual. Therefore the chimney, the steep roof and wooden planks.

Unfortunately there is nothing underneath the embassy. :sad: I built up a structure to get the elevation right and not after I had built a lot on top of that I realized that I could have made something of that space. And then I didn't want to break down what I had done and start over. A good idea, but I thought of it too late.

you really are succesfull in capturing a whole part of a city in 48x48!!! Really great job!

Also nice play with perspectives and heightdifferences!

I certainly can tell this is our glorious capital of Petraea. Very nice job!

As I said on swebrick, this moc is just sweet! :classic:

So many details and angels! Great work! All the minifigs are spot on and their posing and heads are excellent!

Great embassy, good to have you on the Mitgardian side! I like because there's a lot of minifig action. Also a lot of details, like the staircase on the right!

I really like this! The use of colour, the composition and variety of buildings, and the minifig scenes are all superb. There are many lovely details, the domes and stairs, the use of water and greenery that typify our beautiful capital stand out. Definitely this is more than the sum of its parts. I also thought it was forced perspective, the scale is highly unusual in that all of the buildings and rooms are tiny really if they are to minifig scale, but it is very effective. Great build!

:classic:

Thanks, I'm happy you liked it. :sweet:

The embassy has a chimney because that's an essential part of a house in Mitgardia. I wanted the embassy to have a typical Mitgardian style even though it was placed in a completely different environment then usual. Therefore the chimney, the steep roof and wooden planks.

Makes sense.

Unfortunately there is nothing underneath the embassy. :sad: I built up a structure to get the elevation right and not after I had built a lot on top of that I realized that I could have made something of that space. And then I didn't want to break down what I had done and start over. A good idea, but I thought of it too late.

Too bad, I was hoping for catacombs or a sewer system. Still, an amazing job!

WOW!!!!!!

My first impression was that this was much like the Morocco Pavilion at Epcot in Disney World. It twists and winds, and there are many small structures that look small from far away, but really magnify themselves when you get up close. I love that you made a whole section of the city, and this is exactly how I imagine our capital looking like as an ancient city that continues to grow. A street thug in a sewer in that hill area would have been awesome... but still, I really love this build. I think this should win your guild many points - and you guys already have some really fabulous entries already.

Blah, I am kind of ashamed of what I am going present after seeing stuff like this. However, you did convert me to a believer in flat panels... I will have to invest in a lot more I think.

I can join in the praise above. Really cool how you capture so many things and on a relatively small plate without making it look bad. It even adds to my idea of the city and its vibe. Everything looks splendid. Well done!

The first thing that caught my attention was the many different styles you used with the different builds, giving this a totally cosmopolitan feel. I really like the originality of this MOC, and it captures the whole city feel. Great job with this, There is just so much going on here! :thumbup:

Wow Etzel! :wub: I give you 10/10 for creativity, the numerous angles, designs and beautiful buildings throughout really make this a marvel to behold. Not only have you created an amazing embassy, you've added a lot of richness to the world of the South! :thumbup: :thumbup:

From your vibrant color choice, to your intricate mosaics to those brilliant stair cases and perfectly-outfitted mini-figures this build is eye candy throughout! Very well done sir!

Wow, this is stunning Etzel! I love your approach of creating a whole neighbourhood to set your embassy in. All the different angles and levels and colours and details are almost overwhelming, yet the whole has a pleasing sense of unity. I'm particularly fond of the left side view with the curving stairs. :thumbup:

So, I have to say first that I love this build! The entire embassy is so well detailed that it just draws you in. But, the two comments I really want to make are: 1. I am very jealous of the brown grass pieces...I hope Lego makes more of those! 2. The face on the dude in the bathouse is priceless!

Wow.

The build is fantastic. Great details everywhere. The thing that I really love is the sense of SCALE. I don't recall the last time I saw a Minifig scale MOC of this size that feels so BIG.

Very nicely done.

And what a fantastic city to build it in :laugh::wink:

I hope I don't get in any trouble for the little bump here but I just had to comment on this work. There is so much going on in this MOC that I wouldn't know where to begin. I love the elevation changes and the different structures that seem to fit perfectly in spite of their differences. One of my favoite MOC's to date.

So much greatness with this one. If I had to pick a favorite part, it would be the design of the embassy building itself or that little building on the top left (from the front view). I am so much impressed by the amount of nice stuff you managed to fit in the 48x48, astounding.

Loving the little scenese you set up, they are full of life. :thumbup:

Whilst scoring all the great entries, I just had to comment on this absolute beauty Etzel, amazing angles and perfect colours to reflect the desert landscape, well done!