Duck

"The Dark Ages" - How long were you away from Lego?

Got out in 2008. Did not stay "in" very long though. Started in 2005, when CITY started. 3 years, but I still managed to acquire most of the CITY sets from 2005-2008.

Am not really back in, but currently eying the train sets...

I'll probably be back in when I get around to buying the Constitution Train (which should be soon). My wallet cries.

Got out of Lego to buy Transformers, which I still am...

I think I was probably pretty typical. I stopped colelcting and playing with Lego some time in my teens, don't remember exactly when. I gave all of them to my cousins' kids as a Christmas gift. Now I kinda wish I hadn't. Oh well, at least I got to help make some kids happy. :classic: I'm just barely starting to get into lego again now. I had reminisced about it with my wife a year or two ago, and she got me a couple sets as gifts that I really enjoyed putting together. Bought a couple more sets in the past few weeks. So I'm hooked again. Just wish I had more disposable income. So I guess I'd say my "dark ages" lasted probably 13-15 years.

My story: born in 1985, started getting Lego in 1989, lasted until 1997, started again at regular intervals from 2006 until 2011 and from 2015 onwards. I did not like Lego from around 2000 - 2001 but the last couple of years Lego sets have become very beautiful, yet expensive. Internet also helped quite a lot in evolving my hunger for Lego.

It's difficult to determine when the dark age started. I grew up loving to play with my brother's sets and building mocs (mainly houses I think and a few space related vehicles). I don't think I built much during my teen years. I know I built some kind of box for my gameboy cartridges at around 17 years old, and then I didn't touch Lego until last year (age 26). So I guess the Dark Age lasted around 10-15 years.

It was those Monster Fighter sets that piqued my interest when I was helping search for a gift for the son of a friend.

I came back to Lego after 20 years. I had kept my old bricks for that long, thinking that one day I'll get back to it, and I did - and realized that my old bricks were so chewed up and dirty, that they were worthless :)

I think it works that way: when you're a kid you wanna be an adult, at some point you stop with classic lego, maybe moving to Technics. As a programmer, I thought I'd go for using Lego for robotic stuff - but it was boring, felt like work, never made anything out of my Mindstorms set.

Now I'm back to Lego and it's not at all for technic stuff, only design & the fun of it.

Only (big) difference, instead of playing with a limited pile of bricks, I'm not doing it all in the LDD and then building it.

I've checked what I missed during those 20 years, and IMHO - not much! I quite like the sets that came out after 2008, but frankly, what came out between 1990 and 2008 isn't very thrilling.

I'm also glad I wasn't there for the "light grey change".

Edited by anothergol

My dark ages where 2002-2014, basically The last sets I bought in highschool where Star Wars sets. I then went off to the Air Force and when I got out and moved My mom sent me all my old stuff from home. And as I was going through my old Lego sets, i started building and forgot how fun it was haha.