Captain Green Hair

Viking Drakar, the ''Bølgerammer''

It was that time of year to build a different kind of ship, this time I choose to make a Viking Drakar, also known as the longboat. To make the model, I've done a bit of studying into Viking history and I will tell you a bit about it.

I'll start with a shot of how this ship would be if it were docked. A much as I like the Viking hulls, they are a bit too low. It was a bit of a puzzle to find a nice way to make them slightly higher, I hope you like my solution.

6835698507_0da052d783_b.jpg

You can see the yard and sail on the rest and the oars in their holders. They would not have anything on deck. To make space for cargo, they would simply remove some deck planks, so they had an open hold in the middle of the boat. I've left some cargo in the open hold and the sailor chests are also still in the boat. The boat would not have tents on it, though the sail could be used to cover it. It was most common that the Vikings would bring A frames to make tents on land.

6835698749_483d8d285d_b.jpg

The boat would not have benches, instead all sailors were allowed to bring a small chest with personal belongings. They'd then use these to sit on while they were rowing. Next to that they would bring their shield and weapon. Common weapons were axes, swords, pikes, bows and even clubs. The helmets in the picture are most correct, the vikings did not have horned helmets. The chrome is a custom Brickforge helmet, the other one was made by removing the neck protection from a castle helmet. I do think the horned helmets look cool, so I decided to use some as well.

6835699245_d869687277_b.jpg

The rigging is period correct and is fully functional. The sail can be hoisted, when it is in top, the rope that holds it up is attached to the fence behind the mast using the hook you can see in the first picture. The yard can turn both horizontally and vertically, as it has to be able to go under the stag lines. Vikings would almost always sail under the coast, in good weather.

6835699041_d5d4372e8f_b.jpg

And here we go, full speed ahead, off to plunder and loot! The figurehead is almost the same as set 6018, with some personal touches. I made the scaling in the neck with some 1x1 round plates.

6835699453_3d28d0c025_b.jpg

A shot from the rear gives you a good look at the rudder.

6835697971_79d05be97b_b.jpg

And finally, this is what it would look like if a bunch of Vikings would raid your village.

6835698275_ebcd8b9eb4_b.jpg

I could have posted this earlier, since I finished it late last year. But in November we were at the Brickmania show in Antwerp, and some smart Belgian that goes by the name of Errorist, pointed out to me that the rowers were facing the wrong direction. They should be backward instead of forwards. :laugh:

Dumb mistake that I have changed now.

Well that's all, I hope you like it!

It does look really nice! I specially like the sail and the tiled floor, alongside with all those viking minifigs!default_satisfied.gif There are, however, one thing I dont like: it looks too organized for a viking ship, everything is in perfect order, the floor is completely flat and clean, without many boxes, weapons, etc, scattered around; at least thats how I imagine a viking ship default_tong.gif Anyways great job default_thumbup.gif

Captain, that is fantastic! :wub:

The fact it is all historic accurate ánd functional makes it even better! :sweet:

Can't wait to see this beauty in real life sometime again soon, along with your other projects!

Keep it up matey! :thumbup:

Since I was a little child, Vikings were my most favorite soldiers/era ever. I have to say, you did a splendid job by building this drakar!

Very nice boat! I really love Norse/Viking history and culture, so I liked the extra information you put into the presentation of your MOC.

Your solution for raising the standard hull pieces is elegant. It doesn't look too bulky and does the job neatly. 'Neat' is the word that can be used to describe the entire MOC. Just like all the others boats you've build so far, this is another GREAT model :thumbup: . Looks just like the real thing :sweet: .

There are, however, one thing I dont like: it looks too organized for a viking ship, everything is in perfect order, the floor is completely flat and clean, without many boxes, weapons, etc, scattered around; at least thats how I imagine a viking ship

The Vikings didn't need any extra boxes or chests, they had everything (or most of what) they needed in the small chests they used as seats. Plus, Vikings were, unlike popular misconceptions, known for their cleanliness and tidyness. No self-respecting Viking would man a messy boat :tongue: !

Fantastic. This is a fascinating build. Very nice, clean and with an eye on historical accuracy. Vikings are my favourite when it comes to history and I already own 3 of 7018 Viking ship and I think 4 of 7016 Viking boat. I plan to modify them in the future to make them more historically accurate, just like you did. Even if it doesn't seem like a very complex build (but on the other hand very elegant) some WIP pictures or instructions would be much appreciated for sure.

A ship this good deserves some Old Norse...

Þat er iarcnaskip! Storrtr þan einhverr vissa ec. *oh2*

All the historic details are awesome. There are two things I'd like to see though to make it a little more perfect. :wink:

1: Make the dragon head on the prow removable. (They were only used when going "yviking" to scare away the foreign vættir, so when landing at local/friendly shores they were taken off so as not to frighten the friendly vættir.)

2: When going a-viking and carrying shields on the side of the ship like that there would have normally been something like 2-3 for every warrior on board. (You'd be surprised how easily they get chopped apart in the skjaldborg.)

Edited by Foremast Jack

Thanks for all the kind words people! :thumbup:

The Vikings didn't need any extra boxes or chests, they had everything (or most of what) they needed in the small chests they used as seats. Plus, Vikings were, unlike popular misconceptions, known for their cleanliness and tidyness. No self-respecting Viking would a messy boat :tongue: !

Indeed, though most people don't know they were that way.

It is also a fact that they integrated very easy and well into other cultures and communities. Vikings were all over Europe once.

1: Make the dragon head on the prow removable. (They were only used when going "yviking" to scare away the foreign vættir, so when landing at local/friendly shores they were taken off so as not to frighten the friendly vættir.)

2: When going a-viking and carrying shields on the side of the ship like that there would have normally been something like 2-3 for every warrior on board. (You'd be surprised how easily they get chopped apart in the skjaldborg.)

1: It is Lego, everything is detachable. :grin:

2: There are some extra shields in the weapon crates, I stuffed them literally. There is no room on the side any more, so

if you have a good suggestion of how to bring them... I'd also like to know where you got this info from, as I have read

nothing about it during my study before the build?

Simply gorgeous, CGH. Over the summer I got especially interested in Viking history and attempted to build my own longship. Unfortunately my Bricklink budget ran dry and I had to call it quits, but it fills me with pleasure to see such an experienced ship builder such as yourself produce something so accurate AND beautiful :sweet:

-A.S.

2: There are some extra shields in the weapon crates, I stuffed them literally. There is no room on the side any more, so

if you have a good suggestion of how to bring them... I'd also like to know where you got this info from, as I have read

nothing about it during my study before the build?

I say it from memory accumulated from a life-long love of all things Norse, but I'll see if I can't find some references for you.

As far as attaching more, if you could just put more clips along the gunwales you could snap them in. (they would have been overlapping, not side-by-side) It was a symbolic gesture of the shield-wall as well as something of a ruse de guerre. Innocent farmers would think a shield per man and so over-estimate the ship's compliment, subsequently making the raid go more smoothly. But let me find something of a reference for you.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I don't have the time right now to dive into the sagas :sad:, but I found some pictures of modern replicas that show what I'm talking about. They aren't the best pictures but they should work well enough.

270px-Viking_landing.jpg

islendingur_shields.jpg

i05.jpg

Edited by Foremast Jack

A shot from the rear gives you a good look at the rudder.

6835697971_79d05be97b_b.jpg

Just realized and I feel like I'm pointing out things that aren't quite right more than praising just how great this ship is, but your rudder is on the wrong side. :blush:

As a point of reference I will point out that the right side of a ship (in English) is the starboard side. The word starboard comes from the Old Norse styriborð which quite literally means "steering board."

Again though she's a beauty. Does she have a name?

Beautiful model and great looking viking longship you have created Captain Green Hair.

Here is a link to a danish site with a lot of images (text in English also) about danish viking ships both old found and also newly reconstructed ships.

Viking ships

Edited by Dane

Thanks guys!

I say it from memory accumulated from a life-long love of all things Norse, but I'll see if I can't find some references for you.

As far as attaching more, if you could just put more clips along the gunwales you could snap them in. (they would have been overlapping, not side-by-side) It was a symbolic gesture of the shield-wall as well as something of a ruse de guerre. Innocent farmers would think a shield per man and so over-estimate the ship's compliment, subsequently making the raid go more smoothly. But let me find something of a reference for you.

i05.jpg

Ah yes, I've seen images like that, and also with the shields like I made them. I simply do not see a way of making this look nice on the ship, I also lack more shields. (It costed quite a fortune to build the ship from scratch, I had no Vikings before I started)

But thanks for pointing it out, perhaps somebody will do it on the next model.

Just realized and I feel like I'm pointing out things that aren't quite right more than praising just how great this ship is, but your rudder is on the wrong side. :blush:

As a point of reference I will point out that the right side of a ship (in English) is the starboard side. The word starboard comes from the Old Norse styriborð which quite literally means "steering board."

Again though she's a beauty. Does she have a name?

Dang, I should have known that, but just didn't think of it. Luckily it is an easy change, thanks again for helping me!

Beautiful model and great looking viking longship you have created Captain Green Hair.

Here is a link to a danish site with a lot of images (text in English also) about danish viking ships both old found and also newly reconstructed ships.

Viking ships

Thanks for the link, I've placed it in my bookmarks.

To keep this one company, I'll make a Knarr as well some time.

I already look forward to your knörr CGH, but does this drakkar have a name? Every great ship has to have a name! :pir-classic:

I will name it Bølgerammer, which freely translate into wave rammer or breaker.

I think it sounds cool and I thank Quarryman for his help finding the name! :thumbup:

I will name it Bølgerammer, which freely translate into wave rammer or breaker.

I think it sounds cool and I thank Quarryman for his help finding the name! :thumbup:

Good name. I was going to suggest Unnstyjar (Wave-Tamer), but so proud a name would surely be frowned upon by the Norns. Wave-breaker is surely better. :thumbup:

Now if only LEGO made proper sets like this, that actually looks real. Nice job. :thumbup:

The fantastic thing about this ship is that unlike most MOCs this could indeed be made into an official Lego set (with less minifigs of course). Piece count seems quite modest and yet this is so much better than the official Lego Viking longboat.