C3POwen

[Guide] Rendering LDraw models using POV-Ray

I think it is better to use LDview to export ldraw files to pov-ray files, because LDview has the option to make "smooth curves". :classic:

I think it is better to use LDview to export ldraw files to pov-ray files, because LDview has the option to make "smooth curves". :classic:

Thanks a lot, the reason I used L3P was because I could not get LDview to use LGEO. Turns out I didn't notice the slider in the export options. Silly me!

Edited by lego2lego

It depends on your render settings and the amount of transparant parts in the model. So, a bit more information would be useful :classic:

river_predators_small.jpg

I don't particularly like the sky behind, but what do you think?

I still don't understand how to render a jpg image as the background in POV-Ray though.

Looks really, really good :thumbup:

You also could just render with a transparant background, and add a background in photoshop. I think...

That's what I did. Although others have said that the results may be better to try rendering it the model directly onto the background (if you will) in POV-Ray.

I think I should make the background a bit darker. :sceptic:

Oh, and thanks! :laugh:

I have problems with transparent background:

1. I turned off floor

2. I type +UA

But background still white.

Here is my file

So what i do wrong?

I have problems with transparent background:

1. I turned off floor

2. I type +UA

But background still white.

Here is my file

So what i do wrong?

You appear to have a white "sky sphere" in the file, which is the cause of the issue. If you remove that from your file, it should do the trick.

In your file, you need to remove all of the following:

sky_sphere {
 pigment {
 gradient -y
 color_map {
 [ 1 rgb 1 ]
 }
 }
}

Like Angmarec, I am having problems with making my final image transparent. I've turned off the floor (I think), typed the +UA, and checked for a sky_sphere, which doesn't appear to be in my file. Any suggestions where else to look?

For reference, I am using the latest beta version of POV-Ray 3.7 for the rendering and paint.net to try and lay one image over the other.

I've done some tests, and I can use the eraser tool in paint.net to remove the background and see the image below, so the problem is definitely somewhere in LDView or POV-Ray. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Here is a link to the .POV file. Hope it helps.

Like Angmarec, I am having problems with making my final image transparent.

[...]

Here is a link to the .POV file. Hope it helps.

The cause of the issue in this case is that fog is set. I came across this one too when trying to do a transparent render once, and it took a little while to figure out the problem.

If you remove the fog lines (just below your camera settings) this should do the trick.

For reference, if you always insert fog into your file (and in my case I use an LDView include to automatically add it), you can set it to not display if the floor is turned off by using the following code:

// Fog
#if (LDXFloor != 0)
fog {
   distance LDXRadius*100
   color rgb 1
}
#end

The #if switch will turn off the fog if the floor is switched off, which is often the case when rendering with transparency.

Thanks a bunch C3P. It worked like a charm (after a short learning curve in paint.net on how to make the final image into a png file again). Here is the first test result:

darth_maul2.png

GUIDE UPDATE: I have updated the LGEO-Update.zip file in the Downloads section with 9 new parts, 1 updated part and 3 fixed parts.

LGEO-Update-2013-04-05.png

The FIXED, UPDATED and NEW LGEO parts from the 2013-04-05 update

It's been a while since I've posted any new LGEO parts, so thought I'd put out the parts that I've done since the last update in January.

Edited by C3POwen

Hi Guys,

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed and especially to C3POwen for putting together this excellent tutorial, and all the hard work with LEGO and the config files. I know one can spend a lot of time with this, and thanks for sharing all the knowledge with the community!

Yup, same here. C3POwen has taught me all that I know about POV-Ray, or let me say, I knew next to nothing about it before he posted this guide here.

We are greatly indebted to you. :wub:

just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed and especially to C3POwen for putting together this excellent tutorial, and all the hard work with LEGO and the config files. I know one can spend a lot of time with this, and thanks for sharing all the knowledge with the community!

Yup, same here. C3POwen has taught me all that I know about POV-Ray, or let me say, I knew next to nothing about it before he posted this guide here.

We are greatly indebted to you. :wub:

Thanks guys! :grin: I have to say that I'm still learning too, as POV-Ray is capable of so much, but it takes some figuring out if you've not done it before.

There are also a few tricks I've learned recently that I'll update this thread with soon.

Thanks guys! :grin: I have to say that I'm still learning too, as POV-Ray is capable of so much, but it takes some figuring out if you've not done it before.

There are also a few tricks I've learned recently that I'll update this thread with soon.

I am looking forward to that post, I'm researching and trying, but i've got the feeling that you have a deeper understanding of pov-ray than me. Your recent render of the AAT with HDR lighting shows no signs of the HDR probe on the floor, and background even with the low camera angle. I am unable to solve that part, the washed out colours are a side effect of HDR. Maybe photoshop or something similar can solve that part.

But I must agree with Dornbi and Palathadric, your guide made me start this "hobby" if you can call it that.

C3POwen, I really like the floor reflections on some of your latest models in the official sets topic, are there any updates to the guide that cover what settings you use for those great reflections, mine don't seem to come off that great. :blush:

C3POwen, I really like the floor reflections on some of your latest models in the official sets topic, are there any updates to the guide that cover what settings you use for those great reflections, mine don't seem to come off that great. :blush:

Thank you! If you let me know which ones you're referring to (as I've been playing around with a few different techniques) then I'll post some instructions, as I'm more than happy to share.

How about this one:

7291%20Street%20Rebel%20%28Model%20A%29.png

I have to go offline now, so I can't wait for the other pages to load, but this one is really good.

Also, do I need to install Mega POV in order to render with radiosity? Somehow I got that impression. :look:

I have just started to render my MOCs in POV-Ray from LDraw...and I don't know a whole lot (or any) special tricks. But the issue I am having as I render my Ice Planet MOCs is that Trans_Neon_Oragne is showing up like a bad pee yellow. Is there an easy adjustment to make the trans neon oragne show up more true?

Edited by SpaceMan Nathan