cossack225

The Gowings Building - My version of a Grand Department Store

indexed.gif B-OV-26D

The Grand Emporium was a good set, but lacked the grandeur of a true department store. In 1868, John Gowing opened a business in Sydney. It quickly grew and in the 1920's the family purchased a block of land on the corner of Market Street and George Street in Sydney. There, they invested in a department store and built the one of the tallest buildings in Sydney at the time.

In 2006, The Gowings Retail flagship store in Sydney city shut its doors to the public after an unsuccessful bid to launch stores in Suburban Sydney. The actual Gowings building is currently being refurbished into another retailer on the first three floors and a boutique restaurant on the levels above.

My Creations is a representation of the beautiful building, attempting to capture the overall look of the building, though does not accurately capture the scale, lift shafts, or the style of architecture. However, I am happy with the outcome and content with the model that has taken two years to get off the ground.

I have chosen the "time" of my creation as to how I remember the building in 2004 with the first 3 floors housing the Gowings Department Store (Ground, Level 1 and Level 2). From there, my creative expression has taken over with;

Level 3: a Sumo match with spectators,

Level 4: Piano Bar

Level 5: ABS Medical Clinic - "Absolute Health"

Level 6: ABS Bank - "We keep your money safe"

Level 7: Minifig Expressions - Where minifigs update their faces

Level 8: A weapon emporium

Level 9: A jewellery store

Level 10: Penthouse (lower) under construction

Level 11: Penthouse (upper) under construction

Other than the penthouse, all floors have staircases linking them together. The crane stands above it, providing workmen assistance to install the new lift and complete the penthouse residence. The lift will stop at Ground, Lv 3, 5, 7 and 10.

The lift (motorised and with automatic doors) will be complete for the Sydney Brick Show to be held on 2nd & 3rd June in Sydney.

The attached picture is of the Cityscape by J.P. Manalo and myself. We won Best Town MOC at Brickvention 2012 in Melbourne.

More pictures will be posted soon!

See for in my Flickr Account

6829627281_1c390c96bd_z.jpg

Edited by Phred

Can't wait to see the pictures, please =]

I love it...is sooooo tall!

Hope you will show out how the lift is built too!

AWESOME structure 'cossack225', thanks for posting it....showing what us Aussie's can build, but please more photos if possible. :excited:

The tiger might try an old retail store down the track but it will not be a tall as that......just yours is a MEGA-MOC ! :excited:

Excellent work ' cossack225 ' and Brick On ! :classic:

Can't wait to see the pictures, please =]

I love it...is sooooo tall!

Hope you will show out how the lift is built too!

I am not sure why the photo is not appearing as I can see them, when logged in or out of Eurobricks. You can see the main pic in my Flickr account.

I will try to upload more tonight. Unfortunately, "Clcwong", I am yet to finish the lift, but will post some photos of my progress thus far.

Regards,

Tim

Need a helipad ;)

Great building Tim, looking forward to seeing it completed at the SBS!!

Dr Rod

Beautiful moc, saw this at the brickvention, the detailing to the building is impeccable and the inclusion of the monorail gives it the charm of part of a town, well done on the prize fully deserved

I'm glad to see the image get posted. This MOC looks great! :thumbup:

I would have to agree with LT in the need for more pictures. :wub:

Level 3: a Sumo match with spectators,

Level 4: Piano Bar

Level 5: ABS Medical Clinic - "Absolute Health"

Level 6: ABS Bank - "We keep your money safe"

Level 7: Minifig Expressions - Where minifigs update their faces

Level 8: A weapon emporium

Level 9: A jewellery store

Level 10: Penthouse (lower) under construction

Level 11: Penthouse (upper) under construction

Other than the penthouse, all floors have staircases linking them together. The crane stands above it, providing workmen assistance to install the new lift and complete the penthouse residence. The lift will stop at Ground, Lv 3, 5, 7 and 10.

Does this MOC have an interior? It would be awesome to see all of these floors. :cry_happy:

Nice moc of this building. Its very true to the way it looks and I like you included the bit of Sydney's monorail around it too. What did you use for the interior lighting? More pics please too :wub:

I to would like to see how you done the street lamps lighting. I *gasP* tried drilling a few lamp posts up the inside middle but melted them so stopped that pretty fast.