Sign in to follow this  
paanjang16

MOC: Chap Goh Meh Festival

indexed.gif B-V-15B

My vignette for this year's Chap Goh Meh. Every year on the 15th day of Chinese New Year single ladies will toss mandarin oranges into river, lakes and seasides in hopes of meeting a future partner. Single men on boats will usually pick up the oranges thrown by the ladies as there are phone numbers on the oranges written by the ladies.

capgohmeh-0001.jpg

Side view of the vignette. All the pieces are from the Fire Temple set except for most of the minifigs and the orange 1x1 rounded plate. I had to take some of the orange plates from my Robo-attack set to have enough for this vignette.

capgohmeh-0002.jpg

The gentleman on the red boat. Our photographer is there to capture the moment.

capgohmeh-0003.jpg

A view of the ladies throwing the oranges into the water. You might recognize some of the ladies there. This is Olivia's first time out after being assembled recently.

capgohmeh-0004.jpg

Great vig 'paanjang16', but does it work better than picking up a girl in a nightclub.....that's where I met my wife....er, I'm quite happily married....(help ! *huh* )

Brick On and get lucky eh ? 'paanjang16' ! :grin:

Edited by lightningtiger

Wow...does this actually happen? *huh* Very nice MOC, but what's that clown doing back there? :look:

Yes it does happen here in Malaysia, like this .

As for the clown with the banana, nowadays it is a twist to the tradition where a single bachelor will toss a banana with a message in hopes of finding the right girl :laugh:

Too funny! Great representation of the actual festival(?)...occasion. The things you learn on the Internet. :sweet:

I've certainly never heard of this event before, but you've captured the story very well in this MOC. I also wondered about the clown; I thought, "hey" he ain't female!"