Sign in to follow this  
Cirkit

MOC: Xplode

A little while back, in my Meltdown topic, I mentioned building the villain Xplode with the new 2.0+ system. I also mentioned updating the pics in my two previous topics, but one thing at a time.

So, without further wait, here he is!

Front:

100_4145.jpg

Side:

100_4146.jpg

Back:

100_4147.jpg

Pose:

100_4195.jpg

With Meltdown:

100_4152.jpg

Victorious!:

100_4151.jpg

My original idea was to have him get upgraded after his breakout from the HF facility.. why he had his spikes in the Breakout videos, I can't imagine.

I do hope you enjoy, and as usual, feedback is well appreciated. :)

Cirkit

PS: Sorry about the size of the images. I am aware that they are a bit large. If anyone could help me, or direct me to a page where I could learn about resizing images, that would be great. Thanks.

Edited by Cirkit

The pics are a bit blurry, but he looks good! I'd try beefing up the arms a bit though.

Woah, that was a quick reply!

Thank for the comment. I did try my best with the camera, looks like I'll have to find my tripod. :/

The arm were meant to mock the original Xplode's, they were lanky and unarmored.. but I think you're right, they could do with a little bit of armor.

Nice review! I especially like his torso design. It's nice and thin, which I think goes well with his relatively thin arms and bulky armor plates.

The lower leg armor is very impressive. I wouldn't have expected that ankle guard piece to work well with the 2.0 building system, but looking at the geometry of the pieces I guess it works just fine! I wonder if we'll ever see that part again in actual sets, because aesthetically it fits Hero Factory just about as well as it fit BIONICLE.

I'd say maybe put some Black/Printed armor pieces on the Forearms like you have on the legs. :classic:

What a fantastic revamp! I agree with Aanchir, the lower legs look very great, but the rest does as well. You did a great job transporting XPlode's design to the 2.0 building system.

I'd suggest to remove the 2.0 feet from his back and attach the spike plate via the ball joint were usually the head goes though.

Thanks all for the feedback, I really appreciate it. :classic:

@ Aanchir, Thanks :classic: The leg armor took some work. It turns out that only a 3 or 4 size shell can be used to do this, unless you were to get a longer bone piece like on the Fire Lord legs. The shin armor still wobbles a little, but the engine piece keeps it steady. I'm glad you like it/them.

@ K-nut, that sounds like a very good idea, and I would.. if I had two more printed pieces. I've got one, but I don't want Xplode to be asymmetrical. Perhaps maybe some size 3 black shells instead? Hmm.

And @ ZORK64, Thanks very much. I really did try to make him look like he fits in with the rest of the new system characters, and I'm glad you're glad with my work. As for the foot, I suppose that could work, but I didn't want the back to be bare.. But, at the same time, the lack of the Skrall armor piece made me sad. So I'll give your suggestion a go, and try to post pics of it in the next week.. hopefully with less blur.

Thanks again!

Cirkit

This is a nice update. I too like the torso, and the bulkiness around the ankle area is really nice. Those printed shells really suit him too, though I'd like to see what he looks like with some some the Transparent Fluorescent Orange shells, if you have some.

Thanks, Rocketbilly. I do have some, but only one non-torso shell in the right size. Might be getting another soon.. we'll see.

@ K-nut, that sounds like a very good idea, and I would.. if I had two more printed pieces. I've got one, but I don't want Xplode to be asymmetrical. Perhaps maybe some size 3 black shells instead? Hmm.

I think tha would work fine, too. The printing is really just for detail and that extra *oooh*, but it never needs to be there. :wink:

Hey!

Sorry it's been so long, but I've finally gotten around to updating Xplode. Not much done, just removed the foot from his back, made his arms longer to better match the original, and mounted the head in the same way as his original set version. I also added some trans red/orange parts, as per request.

Front w/ trans parts:

100_4387.jpg

Back w/ trans parts:

100_4386.jpg

Another front shot:

100_4385.jpg

What do you think?

I've also got something else in the works, just after purchasing Black Phantom..

100_4383.jpg

Man, I love me those shoulder pads..

For now, I'm off to build stuff. Later.

Cirkit

Hey!

Sorry it's been so long, but I've finally gotten around to updating Xplode. Not much done, just removed the foot from his back, made his arms longer to better match the original, and mounted the head in the same way as his original set version. I also added some trans red/orange parts, as per request.

Front w/ trans parts:

100_4387.jpg

Back w/ trans parts:

100_4386.jpg

Another front shot:

100_4385.jpg

What do you think?

I've also got something else in the works, just after purchasing Black Phantom..

100_4383.jpg

Man, I love me those shoulder pads..

For now, I'm off to build stuff. Later.

Cirkit

That updated xplode is awesome.Looks great,but could use a few tweaks.You could put the foot back on and bring the trans orange chest piece to the front,but other than that it's great.I also have a suspicion about who that black character is...

Judging by the positioning of the armor used on Black Phantom's shoulders on your MOC, I'm assuming Von Nebula revamped? Been working on something of the sort for a while, but gave up after I made a few other MOCs and used most of my black parts. If I get Black Phantom, I might try again. Anyway, that Xplode is cool, but I think you might want to look into a multiple purchase of Furno 2/3.0. There's a lot of red shells in those sets, and the Fire villains (Nitroblast in particular) have some red torso bones and beams that could be used to balance the colorscheme a bit more on this, by eliminating the black bones. Another suggestion I have is to replace the trans-orange and printed parts with Gunmetal/Silver, it will give the revamp a more symmetrical outlook, as well as eliminate one of the colors in the colorscheme. I generally try to keep my MOCs in three colors: A main color, which is generally bright, like orange, green, or blue, then a base color, which is usually black, grey, silver, white, or Gunmetal, and then a secondary color, which is another bright color, generally the compliment of the main color. The main color in this MOC should be red, and then (If you want) the base color should probably be black or gunmetal, to remain within Xplode's original scheme and "feel". The secondary color should be the yellow-green of his face, but use only the main and base colors on the rest of the model. I hope I helped you consider things for your next version. :classic:

This is actually a really cool concept. Perhaps LEGO could do something like this for the villains, especially Von Nebula. :drool:

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe

Thanks for the kind feedback. However, please don't quote the whole post if it's on the same page. That's all I'm asking.

nrgzane1, I agree that my Xplode still needs some tweaking. I was reluctant to remove the foot before, but I feel that would probably be the better option. Seeing the figure right in front of me I feel that the trans orange needs to stay, but I'll need to source another set (most likely Jawblade) for a second 5-long shell. I'm not quite sure about the orange torso on the front, but it's worth a try if I can find that gunmetal piece used for Bulk's wristblades (3.0 set), and use that again for the torso.. Hmm.

Poison Ivy, no, I wasn't shooting for a Von Nebula revamp, but you have sparked an idea in my mind, one that I'll experiment with later. I do agree that I should look into purchasing more sets for shells( I was interested in picking up Furno 3.0, and he's still available at my local Target store.. why I didn't get him last time I haven't the slightest), and red seems to be the best color right now. After all, there is plentiful amounts of it available.

Thanks for the color-scheme advice. Please do keep in mind that I am working with a very limited amount of pieces.. but any advice is good advice for me. I will experiment with the color schemes, and see how it goes. :)

And MakutaDreadscythe, thanks. I think that would be an interesting concept, although I'm not sure how other fans would feel about villain characters being reused (there's already been a fair amount of discussion about Von Nebula's appearance in the Breakout episode, some good, some not so good).. but it is nice to think about.

Thanks all for your feedback, I will take what you've said into account as I continue my building. I wish you all luck as well with your own building experiences, and a good evening. :)

Cirkit

Now time for the most epic update in this topic everr...

Front:

100_4576.jpg

Back:

100_4577.jpg

Front again:

100_4578.jpg

I was going to do a vehicle for my Xplode, much the way LegoJang of Youtube made a series of mini vehicles for his MOCs, and I did get partway through making one, but this little guy just had to blow it up. :/

I'm about done messing around with Xplode for now. But, stay tuned, as I have more MOCs coming on the way!

Cirkit.

Now time for the most epic update in this topic everr...

Front:

100_4576.jpg

Back:

100_4577.jpg

Front again:

100_4578.jpg

I was going to do a vehicle for my Xplode, much the way LegoJang of Youtube made a series of mini vehicles for his MOCs, and I did get partway through making one, but this little guy just had to blow it up. :/

I'm about done messing around with Xplode for now. But, stay tuned, as I have more MOCs coming on the way!

Cirkit.

CHIBI XPLODE! That's awesome. About the vehicle, make another one!

CHIBI XPLODE! That's awesome. About the vehicle, make another one!

Again, I would like it if people wouldn't quote the whole dang post on the same page, but thank you for the kind words.

I think I will make my mini-Xplode a vehicle, but for now that's enough of Xplode. Time to move on to bigger and hopefully better things.

Cirkit