Sign in to follow this  
Sebeus I

Ships of war in progress

I'm working on two ships at the same time (three actually, including the Dutchman)

A frigate and a brig-of-war,

I'm transferring the upper sections of Din's Fire (my previous frigate) to a brown hull, that way the colors come out better (the previos one was build on the red-gray Red beard runners hulls).

However the main reason to start this delicate hull-switch can be seen in following two pictures;

1327762300m_DISPLAY.jpg

Lower Balcony of the Flying Dutchman

1327831348m_DISPLAY.jpg

Upper bow section of Din's Fire

As you may have already seen I use a hinge plate on the FD's Balcony, a black one :pir-oh3: two infact for the whole balcony, I want to replace them by light grey ones, the only ones I have are...on my frigate :hmpf_bad:

Furthermore there's also a lot of light gray on Din's Fire which would also be very useful on the Flying Dutchman.

Anyway,

Din's Fire's previous condition :

1304084911m_DISPLAY.jpg

Din's Fire today :

1327831320m_DISPLAY.jpg

And the new hull (BUT old hull type ! )

1327761655m_DISPLAY.jpg

Besides hull swap I made more changes, there will be working lights in the cabin, a capstan that can be used to haul up both port and starboard anchors (using a switch to choose which one) and hopefully a working rudder.

1327762051m_DISPLAY.jpg

No pneumatic chaser cannons though :pir_laugh2:

That's for later (on a different ship, probably next month or so).

This picture looks pretty chaotic I suppose so I will attempt to explain the workings (text under the pictures):

1327761849m_DISPLAY.jpg

This is the axle on which I will attach the capstan (maybe two even, on gun deck and upper deck).

Using conical gears I get a horizontal driven axle.

1327761920m_DISPLAY.jpg

This axle passes through some technic bricks, goes all the way through the hold via a universal joint

Now you might wonder why I use such joint when the axle doesn't change angle :pir-devil:

The answer is simple, While building big ships on prefab hulls I noticed that there appears to be a slight curve when the ship is finished, probably caused by the multiple use of plates and bricks which connect the hull pieces. The universal joint compensates for that.

1327761946m_DISPLAY.jpg

Coming up to the prow of the ship there are also universal joints which are here used to raise the axle, that way I can place the winches for the anchors even more to the front.

(the black pannels which cover the joints are there as a support for the foremast.)

1327761973m_DISPLAY.jpg

This complex structure holds the switch that will allow you to choose which anchor to haul up, for now there's only one anchor attached though.

here's a top view:

1327762006m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327761677m_DISPLAY.jpg

I also made catheads for the anchors.

Now onto the stern laddies :pir-classic:

1327762074m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327761692m_DISPLAY.jpg

I want a working rudder but I also want it to be historically accurate, this combination makes it pretty difficult.

1327761708m_DISPLAY.jpg

Rudder goes right into the cabin.

1327761740m_DISPLAY.jpg

The rudder chain does not have a function here, the steering will be realized by a tiller connected to a steering wheel.

1327761761m_DISPLAY.jpg

Now onto the coolest part; the table inside the cabin has two small lanterns on top of it

1327761777m_DISPLAY.jpg

When I remove the table...

1327761795m_DISPLAY.jpg

Light function ! :pir-sweet:

The electric wire goes all the way to the hold where there's enough room to fit a 9V batterybox.

Pretty cool huh ?

Oh right, I would almost forget, while I was at it I made a Brig-of-war as well, I'm short on parts to finish it though.

1327762096m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327762122m_DISPLAY.jpg

1327762238m_DISPLAY.jpg

I was also planning a capstan in this ship but it might be too small :pir-sceptic:

Anyway, I'll be posting an update on the frigate somewhere next week.

Btw, as for the PPP contest I'm in, the poll for week 3 has opened so if you're a member at forbidden cove you can cast a vote

My last entry has been build as well, wish me luck :pir-sweet:

1328433099m_DISPLAY.jpg

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Seems like your fleet is wel under sail way sir! :thumbup:

Might I ask of what part the lantern in your entry for the contest is made of? Is it a Spongebob jellyfish net?

Seems like your fleet is wel under sail way sir! :thumbup:

Might I ask of what part the lantern in your entry for the contest is made of? Is it a Spongebob jellyfish net?

Well, I got it from this set.

here's a better pic;

1328433465m_DISPLAY.jpg

Btw, I forgot to add but my previous Frigate, Din's Fire was build relying on your great tutoral :pir_laugh2:

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

This is epic! So I saw your entry at MocPages at I must say it is really cool, the yellow cone at the base of the building is really clever pirate_classic.gif And this ship craziness? Building how many ships at the same time? I lost the count pir_laugh2.gif Your technic ship does look amazing, I'm sure it will be even better than the previous one. I would like to suggest new features but I'm not sure if any of them is applicable or is just to insane: guns firing after you pull something, rotating the masts instead of the sails to catch the wind trough some sort of mechanism, open the door of the cabin by rotating something (in the interior, perhaps), but I guess all are just too crazy pirate_tong.gif

Perhaps one day you should make a rudder commanded by remote control, it would be fun!

This is epic! So I saw your entry at MocPages at I must say it is really cool, the yellow cone at the base of the building is really clever pirate_classic.gif And this ship craziness? Building how many ships at the same time? I lost the count pir_laugh2.gif Your technic ship does look amazing, I'm sure it will be even better than the previous one. I would like to suggest new features but I'm not sure if any of them is applicable or is just to insane: guns firing after you pull something, rotating the masts instead of the sails to catch the wind trough some sort of mechanism, open the door of the cabin by rotating something (in the interior, perhaps), but I guess all are just too crazy pirate_tong.gif

Perhaps one day you should make a rudder commanded by remote control, it would be fun!

I can tell you that I'm working on a 4th ship with a crazy feature, really crazy, I dare not say more for it is so crazy it might not even work :pir_wacko:

It does involve RC :pir-wink:

1327761677m_DISPLAY.jpg

I also made catheads for the anchors.

I really like the use of the middle-eastern arch brick here. Looks very authentic.

I'm sure these ships will be just a good as everything you do, but you really should finish one before you start another... *cough* Flying Dutchman *cough*.

A dilemma, I have this really bad ship I would post but I barely dare to post it because of its bad quality so I will add another ship to make the complete post look better :pir-sweet:

dsc04474.jpg

The arch bricks on the prow, first time I did that was on my spanish sloop-of-war.

dsc04482.jpg

The stern, it's a very old basic technique, but it can be very effective.

dsc04477.jpg

Some nice details aren't they but ofcourse you probably want to see the whole ship...

Well, I warned you.

dsc04473.jpg

I can't figure it out, is it the disastrous color scheme that makes it look so bad or are there other aspects involved ?

:pirate_sad2:

Anyway, time for some better stuff :pir-devil:

dsc05105.jpg

Surely this must compensate for the failure above :pir-tongue:

My spanish sloop-of-war and new mechanic ship engaging in battle.

dsc05100.jpg

dsc05094.jpg

dsc05119.jpg

I could ask which of these two ships you prefer but somehow I get this feeling that the spanish sloop would be the one so I'm just not gonna ask,

you need to be able to touch and experience the Mechanic ship to fully appreciate it and you simply can't (unless you would go to Brickmania in Belgium, in April, if it hasn't been demolished yet).

I'm building a lot of ships at the same time, at one point, a few months ago I was building 13 ships, only a few of them got finished and some of them are still being worked on.

I'll post the mechanic ship later this week.

Edited by Sebeus Iniwum

Hmm, on that 'disasterous ship' :pir-tongue: what I reckon the problem is, is the main mast. It just looks so out of place compared to the rest of the ship; which I actually like :pir-classic:

I think if you could replace the sand yellow pieces, it would look a lot better :pir-sweet:

When I'm stuck on one ship I start another one until I'm stuck there as well, usually I found a sollution for the first one in the meantime, that's how I work :pir-classic:

Update on the Frigate:

1329654900m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329654932m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329654961m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329655068m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329655119m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329655147m_DISPLAY.jpg

This capstan will be connected with another capstan on the main deck through a technic axle.

1329655174m_DISPLAY.jpg

Ah, just look at the reflection of those bricks :pir-cry_happy:

Those dark and light blue bricks have never seen the bottom of a big curver box, where's the time, when all bricks went in the same box :pir_laugh2:

1329656042m_DISPLAY.jpg

Comparison with my brig-of-war (which has masts now).

1329656072m_DISPLAY.jpg

And as a bonus a comparison with my WIP Flying Dutchman :pir-wink:

1329656103m_DISPLAY.jpg

1329656149m_DISPLAY.jpg

This isn't really a relevant comparison though, the Flying Dutchman is a waterline model while my Frigate is not.

As a result the FD might not look so much bigger that the Frigate.

Those are some really fantastic MOC's Sebeus. I really can't wait to see the finished versions. At the moment I particularly like the Frigate, the little details really make it stand out. The building techniques have given me inspiration for my own models. That being said the WIP Flying Dutchmen looks like it could be something really special, the scale of it is very impressive indeed.

I envy the incredible amount of parts you have that allows you to work on several projects at once. I'm currently trying to get the parts together for a work in progress Brig-of-war and have been surprised by the cost in assembling the parts for what is a fairly small scale project. Anyway, keep up the good work!

1328433099m_DISPLAY.jpg

Great idea using a butterfly net for a lamp. The flag hides the fact it is actually a net.

I like how low your sloop of war is. When I was designing my MOC frigate, I had several designs that wound up being as tall as a ship of the line would have been in minifig scale. Even my Frobisher is actually a little bit taller than I would have liked. Very good job on that one, sir!