Sign in to follow this  
Dakar A

MOC: Overdale Townhouse

indexed.gif B-RM-4E

Hello!

I've had this MOC around for a little while, and recently made additions to it to improve the overall look (Dark red, anyone? :tongue: ) It's a 16x32 modular building, with a twist: It's a corner building!. While that makes it unique, it does little for interior space. So, without further ado, the Overdale Townhouse! :thumbup: I think you'll like what you'll see!

00edited.jpg

The family that lives here is Jason and Sarah Kent. They've lived here since 2007, and love it. They are adding some renovations right now. Oh, and their friend Jimmy is rooming with them (At first he was their landlord, but I thought it would be weird to live with one's landlord! :tongue: )Sarah is on the bench, using her smartphone, while a framiliar face is washing windows! :laugh:

01.jpg

Front veiw. /\

02.jpg

Rear 3/4 veiw.

03.jpg

Rear veiw.

04.jpg

Side 3/4 veiw.

05.jpg

Sarah and her smartphone!

06.jpg

Jimmy, saying hello to the morning, before catching the bus to the bank.

07.jpg

Sarah, watering her urban flower garden. She really loves it!

08.jpg

Jason leaving for work at the town hall. He says hello to his friend Duncan on the way out the door, along with the delivery man!

09.jpg

First floor. I mostly used peices from the fire station.

10.jpg

Top down veiw of the first floor. The interior is very sparsely decorated, but in my defense, the stairs take up about 1/4 of the room. :cry_sad:

11.jpg

The second floor. The room on the left will bcome a restroom, as soon as I figure out how to keep peeping eyes from seing into it! :devil:

12.jpg

The top floor. The patio out front is a great way to look over the Studwell skyline at night, enjying the sun setting behind the buildings. :blush:

13.jpg

The 3rd floor. What's that you say? how do they get down from this foor ? Well...

14.jpg

They use the trapdoor staircase! :laugh:

15.jpg

The roof. Since there's no t.v.'s in the house, I ask myself: Why the antenna? :wink:

16.jpg

Sarah and Jason enjoy sharing a bunk bed. It saves space, and keeps from extra (little) people coming into the family, when not expected. :devil:

17.jpg

A shelf,from IKEA, with a lamp and CD/clock radio!

18.jpg

Jimmy really has a thing for white desks. And white buildings, and white in general. But he's in an inter-racial relationship. What? You though he would have a WHITE girlfriend? Now that's just RACIST! :laugh::devil:

19.jpg

Jason also loves his smart phone. He says

really helps him in his life!

20.jpg

Jason and Sarah. They love each other so much. And romantic stuff, yada, yada, yada...

21.jpg

You can't have a city without FIREMEN :wink: . Duncan, Frank the firefighter,and the deiveryman. They all like to go to the pub and knock back a few on the weekends.. :drunk:

22.jpg

Bye from all of us in Studwell's residential district. Have a nice day! Drive safe. Build lego! :sarcasm_smug:

23.jpg

And finaly, a shot with the GE for a size comparison. A free internet cookie to he/her who spots the differences, between this picture and the earlier one.

Thank you all for chosing my little MOC to look at. I truly hope you enjoyed it. More picture (To come) on my Flickr

Kudos,

Dakar

Nice townhouse. The exterior is nicely color blocked and it's a good attempt for such a small footprint. A real challenge.

Some critiques for you think about:

- You might try a few little exterior details, like ridged bricks, or a cornice, or protruding areas, etc to break up the flatness of the exterior. The grey band detail that you have works for this.

- I think your stair placement is not good. You might stick it in the back corners and offset them each floor so you have interior space to have some fun with. Or you might be able to try a 3 wide or L shaped stair.

- Speaking of the grey band, I might swap the trans pieces for solid. It looks odd to be able to see through the space, but it's not part of the living area. Maybe if it was at the top of the building, and a little taller, it would be a half height attic/storage/mechanical floor.

- If you do end up with a little room, you could try some pulled back brick built curtains. One of the modulars has some of these.

Good luck with your next build.

Nice build there 'Dakar', if you want to leave it as it is or change it....it's up to you, the tiger gives a :thumbup: to it either way ! :classic:

Interesting concept to go with, but it works....works well dude....excellent designing 'Dakar' and Brick On in the modular world ! :wink:

Neat town house 'Dakar A'. I like the design and color choice for this build. The giant windows also add a nice feature. As a suggestion, I would have take the lights over the front door and placed them on the side over the garden. Anyway, great build, keep it up default_classic.gif

To me, the most interesting are two ideas: 1. making a corner building on 16x32 plate and 2. the use of darkbluish gray containers for detailing the facade. I was playing around with the first idea for a while, but then left it, as I didn't like the way it would be attached to other buildings. So I have a question, how did you manage the attachment to other modulars. I see no problem with the 32 wide side, but what about the 16 wide side of the building? Can it be attached, and how does that fit in the back with GE? As for the second, the use of containers is a great idea to add some more detailing. I first saw it here by Yvonne Doyle, and I liked it so much I incorporated it my current modular (under construction).

As far as your townhouse goes, I would try to reposition the stairs or even make them steeper or L-shaped or spiral, to get extra space, and then just play around with small pieces to create some furniture. Because of the large windows, one can see inside very nicely and it would be lovely to see more interiors. I guess I have one of those peeping eyes. :blush:

I love the use of the dark grey containers. It took me a minute to realize they allowed light into the floor below. Really interesting effect.

Nice townhouse. The exterior is nicely color blocked and it's a good attempt for such a small footprint. A real challenge.

Some critiques for you think about:

- You might try a few little exterior details, like ridged bricks, or a cornice, or protruding areas, etc to break up the flatness of the exterior. The grey band detail that you have works for this.

- I think your stair placement is not good. You might stick it in the back corners and offset them each floor so you have interior space to have some fun with. Or you might be able to try a 3 wide or L shaped stair.

- Speaking of the grey band, I might swap the trans pieces for solid. It looks odd to be able to see through the space, but it's not part of the living area. Maybe if it was at the top of the building, and a little taller, it would be a half height attic/storage/mechanical floor.

- If you do end up with a little room, you could try some pulled back brick built curtains. One of the modulars has some of these.

Good luck with your next build.

Thanks for the advice!

I know the stairs are poorly placed. I'm just too lazy to take the time and adjust them. Sorting, and all... :laugh::blush: I might try sticking some black bricks behind the windows, and I will update this when I do. I thought I'd try that with the curians.

Nice build there 'Dakar', if you want to leave it as it is or change it....it's up to you, the tiger gives a :thumbup: to it either way ! :classic:

Interesting concept to go with, but it works....works well dude....excellent designing 'Dakar' and Brick On in the modular world ! :wink:

Thanks LT! The townhouse fits in alot better with the other modulars, now that I've added 2 and 1/3 bricks of extra height to it :tongue: !

Neat town house 'Dakar A'. I like the design and color choice for this build. The giant windows also add a nice feature. As a suggestion, I would have take the lights over the front door and placed them on the side over the garden. Anyway, great build, keep it up default_classic.gif

Hmm... I might have to do that. They actually aren't attached to the building except for 1 stud. It comes off as a seperate peice. Kinda a way to make the mdular buildings even more modular: Modular Accessories!

To me, the most interesting are two ideas: 1. making a corner building on 16x32 plate and 2. the use of darkbluish gray containers for detailing the facade. I was playing around with the first idea for a while, but then left it, as I didn't like the way it would be attached to other buildings. So I have a question, how did you manage the attachment to other modulars. I see no problem with the 32 wide side, but what about the 16 wide side of the building? Can it be attached, and how does that fit in the back with GE? As for the second, the use of containers is a great idea to add some more detailing. I first saw it here by Yvonne Doyle, and I liked it so much I incorporated it my current modular (under construction).

As far as your townhouse goes, I would try to reposition the stairs or even make them steeper or L-shaped or spiral, to get extra space, and then just play around with small pieces to create some furniture. Because of the large windows, one can see inside very nicely and it would be lovely to see more interiors. I guess I have one of those peeping eyes. :blush:

1. The connection works fine, as long as you have an open space behind the other building you attach it to, or that building goes all the way to the back of the baseplate. You just have to add a 1x2 technic brick w/hole.

2. I got the containers on a PAB wall, and had no other use for them. They're pertty tough to get to attach to plates. You have to use 2xn's.

I'll soon get to work on the inerior! :sweet:

I love the use of the dark grey containers. It took me a minute to realize they allowed light into the floor below. Really interesting effect.

Yeah, they're great space-fillers. You can add 2 bricks of height to a builing like *that*! :laugh:

Thanks for all the C&C! Dakar out! :classic:

Edited by Dakar A

I've seen this building type before(the 16x32 layout longways). I'm REALLY hopping LEGO does this, because I really love the look. Plus, it adds a little variation to the corners of a city. I'm no MOCer, so that's kind of out of the question. I'd have to buy a set/and or pieces to make one, and I really wouldn't know where to begin.