Sign in to follow this  
devinebc

Privateer Hornet

I know Google Sketch, is a good free digital designing tool, but for lego? Any reason for preferring it to LDD, it hardly can be an easier built! The ship does look very nice, though Google Sketchup has a huge problem: its hard to distinguish components with the same colour pirate_sceptic.gif I cannot understand very well the stern of the ship, for instance, though it appears to be nice.

This looks very promising. I never saw a Google Sketchup LEGO ship before, how did you make it?

The overall shape looks good. Perhaps the figurehead part is protruding a bit too much.

Same thing for the back, perhaps you could easily fix that by adding another cannon in the large yellow space between the last gunport and the side gallery, or just by making the stern part less protruding.

I don't mean the sloped stern here. That looks okay to me.

And finally, it could be personal taste, but I'm not very fond of the all striped masts.

It could look good on the first mast parts, but from the first masthead on I think it would look better all brown or black.

But overall it's a very nice ship and the dimensions look good as well.

Any reason for preferring it to LDD, it hardly can be an easier built!

I don't know about ease of use, but what caught my eye and caused my inquiry is the fact that it obviously has the old ship bow and stern pieces. Something that I've needed in LDD desperately. (At least I don't believe they are available in LDD.)

Nice. I've never quite been able to figure out Sketchup so I'm quite impressed, it's nice in that it allows you to add sails, something I can't do in LDD. The ship itself looks good, I've wanted to try building an unrated for a while now. I like the stern design, and I might adopt it onto my ships - it's less mysterious than others (I still can't figure out, say, the Vesta's).

I started using Google Sketchup for architectural models in college. It's pretty much best 3D modeling software available when you consider the "ease of use to ability to create ratio" which I just invented. It's hard to get good renderings without plugins. I also like it because you can add sails and rigging. Plus if you can't find exactly the piece you want you can model it. Or have someone model it for you.

Please resize your pictures to a maximum of 800x600 pixels as stated before.

Irfanview is a free software program which may be helpful. There are links to relevant tutorials in my signature as well.

That is quite a nice model, are you planning to make it in bricks?

If I may do a suggestion; I'd make the yellow line follow the line of the ship at the rear. This part is now straight and doesn't fit in with the curvature of the middle.

This is a very nice corvette, does it have any internals?

edit: was it right that color scheme? :)

Edited by Matteo1130

Cool, but I find that the rear Cabin expands outwards too much, making the ship look funny. Other than that, she's nice.

Looking at some google images I think the shape in the stern is perfect "as is". The straight part near the stern may be adjusted by adding another gunport and changing the color of the gunline. The bow protrudes a bit with the hornet figurhead, but in the picture with the minifig is OK, 7-8 studs out of the hull. In this particular ship may look fine an headrailing "the perfectionist style".

The only thing I don't like is the red color of the deck.. was it realistic?

I don't know about ease of use, but what caught my eye and caused my inquiry is the fact that it obviously has the old ship bow and stern pieces. Something that I've needed in LDD desperately. (At least I don't believe they are available in LDD.)

I failed to read this before.. for old hull pieces I use an old "leo cad" version, they're available there and it's simple to use. I also made a cannon design time ago using that software, but it seems have been deleted from this forum.. so I can't show how a moc looks like, but it's very similar to this ship :)