Sign in to follow this  
LEGO Guy Bri

MOC Hummer H2

indexed.gif V-LV-57B

It's been a little while since I've made a "modern" styled MOC. While trolling eBay, I saw this Hummer H1, I decided I wanted a Hummer. I used a little Matchbox (I minor in Matchbox/Hot Wheels), in my "Lego Room", to MOC my own. On a side note, the Matchbox is actually a concept model, prior to the actual production model. The tail lights on the MOC version are similar to that of the MB version, located on the D pillars instead their actual location. A photo of the rear of the MB version would give you the idea of what I was working with, but I hope my word will do. I did my best to capture the basic look and details of the SUV, but feel as if a more skilled builder could do better. So, here is my take on a Hummer H2, bear in mind it is an ugly SOB. That does not reflect my opinion on actual H2's default_classic.gif

First the MB version:

hummer-h2-yellow-matchbox.JPG

On to the MOC:

moc_hummer_h2_01.jpg

Ideally the doors should be bigger and the windows low and wide and could use some mirrors. It is designed as a four seater, but being 6W, that is impossible. It'll comfortably hold two default_classic.gif

The rear:

moc_hummer_h2_02.jpg

I plan to replace the clear glass with trans-black... eventually.

The engine bay:

moc_hummer_h2_03_engine.jpg

I wanted to give it a little detail, giving it a working hood/bonnet, engine, and my take on nitrogen gas shocks.

Profile, with a questionable "upgrade":

moc_hummer_h2_04.jpg

The pipes kill ground clearance, but doesn't look too bad IMHO. I would like opinions on whether to keep them or not default_satisfied.gif

Finally a comparison in size to a modified 7635 4x4 (among it's mods, it is lifted a stud). Both are lined against the baseplate studs.

moc_hummer_h5_comparison.jpg

Comments and suggestions welcomed. Thanks for viewing! default_classic.gif

Good MOC...but I'm wondering if you could bring it to the next level by changing it to an 8-wide vehicle, with the same height to capture the proportions better.

Very nice build, I like it a lot! There are some Hummers H2 at this scale, but you added all those functions, which is very fine. That opening hood is awesome, and I like the visible shock absorbers which provide for the right look here, besides the pipes.

My only point is the height of the cab - but I know that this is difficult to solve. Spencer R uses 2x2 trans slopes with his H2, Constantine Hannaher 2x1 trans bricks. This rather "cuts off" the cab, but if you look at the MB version IMHO that's just what it looks like.

Anyway, a great MOC, hope some day I will be able to build something like it. Thanks for sharing!

Not bad Hummer 'LGG', quite a classic town styled vehicle. :wink:

RPG proof is it ? :wink:

Anyway, good job designing it and Brick On 'LGG' ! :classic:

I'm guessing you don't want to lower the roof so figures can still fit? I think it's just about as good as it's gonna get in 6 wide.

The hood is perfect and it has good attention to detail overall :thumbup:

The chrome pipes don't look out of place, I would attach 2 more to the roof, but that's just me :tongue:

I think the main problem with it is that it isn't 8-wide and it doesn't have spiked armor and missiles attached all over :laugh:

Edited by DrNightmare

I like it, and as DrNightmare said, it's probably just about as good as it will get in six-wide - ideally, the cabin should be lower, but we're missing that 4x3x4 windscreen in six-wide... you've captured the essence of the H2 nicely.

I think I'd go for dark bluish grey for the front and rear bumpers, at least if you're aiming for likeness to that Matchbox model, but maybe black is more realistic. Mirrors could be easily achieved by adding a couple of "hinge plate 1x2 locking with one finger on end" beneath the windscreen (you'd have to replace the 1x6 brick, if that's what it is).

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions! default_satisfied.gif

Moc good but H1 is much better, army version is the best.

I do prefer the H1 over the H2 default_classic.gif

Good MOC...but I'm wondering if you could bring it to the next level by changing it to an 8-wide vehicle, with the same height to capture the proportions better.

I've thought about making an 8W, but it might be a little to big compared to my other city vehicles. Definitely would need bigger tires default_classic.gif

RPG proof is it ?

Unfortunately this is just a civi-model. A hand gun would tear through it default_laugh2.gif

My only point is the height of the cab - but I know that this is difficult to solve.

I'm guessing you don't want to lower the roof so figures can still fit?

I like it, and as DrNightmare said, it's probably just about as good as it will get in six-wide - ideally, the cabin should be lower, but we're missing that 4x3x4 windscreen in six-wide.

I think I'd go for dark bluish grey for the front and rear bumpers, at least if you're aiming for likeness to that Matchbox model, but maybe black is more realistic.

I do plan to change the bumpers to dark or light bluish grey when I get some of those plates in the right lengths. Same goes for the mirrors, I don't have a good variety of hinge parts and none in yellow, but it's also in the works. I'm not thrilled with the windows or roof either, but 'DrNightmare' is correct. This is the only way to fit a minifig in default_classic.gif

I do plan to change the bumpers to dark or light bluish grey when I get some of those plates in the right lengths. Same goes for the mirrors, I don't have a good variety of hinge parts and none in yellow, but it's also in the works. I'm not thrilled with the windows or roof either, but 'DrNightmare' is correct. This is the only way to fit a minifig in default_classic.gif

Since squeezing figs into cars is something I'm struggling with all the time I think I might add something. Since this is an SUV I think there is enough room even with a lowered roof. If not, there's still some ground clearance you can use by lowering the ground plate or putting the figs into 4x4 frames or something.

I shot some photos of a quick build concerning this problem. I know, other problems will result from this, but in this way you'd get a flat-roofed, very mean looking H2 - this is what it's like IMHO. My thought upon this is that when you try to design an existing vehicle you've got to decide what the most important characteristic parts are and to drop the less characteristic since you can't cover them all in such a small scale. If you don't do so people won't recognize the vehicle. In my view the flat cab is one of the most important characteristics of an H2. So I would prefer lowering the roof than keeping an angled windscreen (which in fact isn't that angled). But, as already said, this is only my point of view. Anyway I like your H2 very much, with or without a lowered roof :wink:

6821582107_f206565bba_z.jpg

6821582037_8a1e48d98b_z.jpg

6821582159_81cb8e6ffb_z.jpg

Thanks 'HighFlyer' and'ER0L' for your comments.

"ER0L', I thought about that while building the truck. I probably would have ended up with an H1 instead, because of having to use a vertical flat windshield. I may try and build a H1 8W next default_classic.gif