JopieK

New 2012 Train: 9467 Ghost Train

I like this set, depending on price, might pick one up as a parts pack.

The cow-catcher in particular is a nice part (its hard to find in black) and its always nice to have more large train wheels.

Some of the other parts (like the glow-in-the-dark spike pieces and the ghosts) also seem nice.

I do think the train would have looked better if it had these

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=55423

instead of the technic pulleys (which probably could have been done without affecting the playability of the set when rolled across the table/floor/etc by kids)

I like this set, depending on price, might pick one up as a parts pack.

The cow-catcher in particular is a nice part (its hard to find in black) and its always nice to have more large train wheels.

Some of the other parts (like the glow-in-the-dark spike pieces and the ghosts) also seem nice.

http://www.bricklink...tem.asp?P=55423

instead of the technic pulleys (which probably could have been done without affecting the playability of the set when rolled across the table/floor/etc by kids)

I totally agree, also strange that the loc (fortunately) has normal train wheels.

For those not into the fantasy element, it may be a good set for black parts.

I have been planning a custom Steam Engine and this set may be a great starting point.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=55423

The little passenger cars are mechanized; they have wings that flap up-and-down when they are rolled. I think they needed a high-friction wheel (technic pulley with o-rings) in order to drive the mechanism. Regular train wheels wouldn't have done that I bet.

The little passenger cars are mechanized; they have wings that flap up-and-down when they are rolled. I think they needed a high-friction wheel (technic pulley with o-rings) in order to drive the mechanism. Regular train wheels wouldn't have done that I bet.

Im pretty much in agreement; there would be too much wheel slippage especially on non-carpeted floors.

thanks for the youtube video; the ghost train is great. :thumbup:

I can't wait to get one and stick the loco on a 9v motor and put train wheels on the cars.

I'm sure all those 'glow in the dark' pieces will look great when the train runs around the tracks at night.

Do you think that the wheels of the locomotive of this new set are like those of the Emerald Night? Or at least similar?

And could the Ghost train be motorized with PF? Probablly you'll have to make it a bit longer to fit the battery box and IR receiver?

Do you think that the wheels of the locomotive of this new set are like those of the Emerald Night? Or at least similar?

And could the Ghost train be motorized with PF? Probablly you'll have to make it a bit longer to fit the battery box and IR receiver?

yes, they are from the exactly same mould. i dont see it feasable to fit PF to it, without copious amounts of modification.

yes, they are from the exactly same mould.

That's great then! One more reason to buy the Ghost train, don't you think?

i dont see it feasable to fit PF to it, without copious amounts of modification.

Hard, but far from impossible. I guess you'll have to make the locomotive a bit longer and probably change the first small waggon. If it's wide enough making it long enough shouldn't be impossible (I guess).

...and FTBT brings us the first big set of photos of the Ghost Train:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/72157629295913237/with/6867345631/

It will be, no surprise, $79.99 (USD). Obviously this is the magic price point for theme trains. This time, Lego doesn't have to pay any licensing fees.

They also have photos of the 4204 ($99.99), but there isn't much we didn't know:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fbtbnet/sets/72157629296835667/with/6867778383/

Looks like eight rails. Nice helmets.

Edited by MojoLego

Great, so I can now officially say that I'm saving my money for next year's exclusive train set :tongue:

In all seriousness, I think this one has little to no compatibility with 'regular' LEGO trains, especially due to the inclusion of Technic pulleys as a substitute for actual train wheels... Nice as a playset I guess (the caboose looks interesting), but I can't help but be reminded of the Time Cruisers line - and why they were so unsuccessful. A shabby-looking build with perhaps too much going on there for its own good. Not to mention that I much prefer the old smiling ghosts anyway :laugh:

Yep, the Ghost Train is definitely possessed by the spirit of the Twisted Time Train. :wink:

I have a EB review of the Twisted Time Train for comparison of parts and overall build, plus a video about the functions.

I'm glad the spirits of the Ghost Train have spookier faces, instead of the old cheerful ones. The cheerful ones made it seem like the ghosts would rather party than haunt.

I wonder if the transparent blue thing past the bell is one of the five crystals mentioned in the Monster Fighters story?

Edited by Bricknave

Yep, the Ghost Train is definitely possessed by the spirit of the Twisted Time Train. :wink:

I wonder if the transparent blue thing past the bell is one of the five crystals mentioned in the Monster Fighters story?

It will be as the videos of the castle show them all together and a neon greeny one can be seen in the swamp monster set.

Just for the record, as you keep bringing up that black cowcatcher, and it seems some of you aren't aware of this: It first appeared in this set two years ago. There are quite a few of them available on BL, from just around $2 a piece :)

What a hoot! I have to admit, it feels like TLG group stumbled onto something with the NINJA go theme - this is, there's a real market for toys that don't look and feel like something you'd ever see in real life. Wacky is OK and maybe even... TONS OF FUN! :thumbup:

It looks really cool. I can see myself getting it with the intent of turning it into an actual running train with flapping wings and everything. Now tht would be a fun project.

I don't usually get worked up about fantasy themes but... must... resist...

Ok first of this monster fantasy theme dosen`t intrest me so much any more, but if this was 20 years ago whoa I would be on fire to get one. These sets have so cool functions and useful parts and stuff, for a castle entusiast. Nad this train has some parts for that are useful if wanna do some castle dwarf steampunk creations.

The new ghosts they look pretty much like the old, only diffrence they have legs no instead of the brick and a strange doodie looking thing behind their head :classic:

The monster hunter chick is pretty cool but what is she going to do with that crossbow against ghosts :sceptic: and the arrow through her hair, using it as a hairpin or something is ridiculous. But ofcourse These are made for kids that would find this funny so its ok :classic:. And as I said if a was still eight I would want this :tongue:

As a theme Monster Fighters is really growing on me. The figs a cool, there are a lot of great parts, and the sets look like they will be a lot of fun to play with. The train however doesn't thrill me so much. As others have said it reminds me very much of the old Time Twisters train. I'm sure it will be a fun set for the kids but it's not the kind of train that makes the RR geek in me all happy and giddy. There is one bright spot for it though. It uses the Emerald Night drivers and now that the EN is gone this will be the only place to get them. And unless LEGO has changed the mold we'll still be getting a pair of blind drivers too (even though the model doesn't use them) just like we did with the toy story train. We'll also be getting the cowcatcher in black again. Though I don't have much use for that piece it's still great that LEGO is keeping it and the EN drivers available. Now if we can just get a proper steam train set again.

Cale

Re: Space Police 5985 - The irony of the black cowcatcher first appearing in a space set still makes me giggle every time.

Those poor ghosties are just trying to enjoy a scenic trip through the haunted countryside and here come those obnoxious Monster Hunters to ruin the experience! Someone needs to stop those jerks! Where's our Hero Hunters theme! :tongue: