DaddyDeuce

Is there an official name for the "Stackable" city sets?

Hi all,

Over the past few years LEGO has been releasing a series of building where the building levels are somewhat modular, and the levels can be interchanged between sets by stacking them on top of each other. At the least, these buildings have been part of this series:

7641 City Corner

7633 Construction Site

8403 Family House

3661 Bank & Money Transfer

Is there an official name for this series of buildings? Am I missing any others in this series that aren't in my list above?

Thanks!

Hi all,

Over the past few years LEGO has been releasing a series of building where the building levels are somewhat modular, and the levels can be interchanged between sets by stacking them on top of each other. At the least, these buildings have been part of this series:

7641 City Corner

7633 Construction Site

8403 Family House

3661 Bank & Money Transfer

Is there an official name for this series of buildings? Am I missing any others in this series that aren't in my list above?

Thanks!

No official name. They are just City.

No other sets, to the best of my knowledge.

So there is no name for these buildings....well, then call them 'Stackables' like the Modulars..

In this shot are also two 'Stackables'

5492531122_8afa1e634c.jpg

reetz, LegoSjaak

I tend to call them mini-modulars.

I'd called them that too, but wondered if there was an "official" name.

Some say that 7848 is also part of this series:

830px-7848_Spielzeug_Regal.jpg

The Toys R Us is not stack able. But hey, the bicycle store next to the pizza place isn't either. Therefore I prefer mini-modulars, even though stackables Sounds more quinky. Maybe its a bit too much to call them a seperat line. But I like them very much and I see them as a nice modular-inspired way to create a cool little town in a hurry, especially for kids. My 5 year old son don't care that the Toyz R Us, are as small as a little bikeshop. It's a toystore! It looks good! Then who cares about scale and proportions :laugh:

The Toys R Us is not stack able. But hey, the bicycle store next to the pizza place isn't either. Therefore I prefer mini-modulars, even though stackables Sounds more quinky. Maybe its a bit too much to call them a seperat line. But I like them very much and I see them as a nice modular-inspired way to create a cool little town in a hurry, especially for kids. My 5 year old son don't care that the Toyz R Us, are as small as a little bikeshop. It's a toystore! It looks good! Then who cares about scale and proportions :laugh:

I think the TRU is meant to be just the store front, and there's a whole imaginary store extending back from it.

It makes sense that it wouldn't be stackable (without modification, that is - all LEGO is stackable, obviously :wink: ). Are there any multilevel Toys 'R' Us stores (especially ones with the entrance on the second floor)? :tongue:

Are there any multilevel Toys 'R' Us stores (especially ones with the entrance on the second floor)? :tongue:

Well, there's one in Munich that has an additional basement level – not completely covered, there's a big opening between basement and main floor –, and its main entrance is a few stairs above street level. Does that qualify? :classic: I haven't seen it being restacked the other way around, though (but I wasn't there when TRU moved in). :tongue:

Well, there's one in Munich that has an additional basement level – not completely covered, there's a big opening between basement and main floor –, and its main entrance is a few stairs above street level. Does that qualify? :classic: I haven't seen it being restacked the other way around, though (but I wasn't there when TRU moved in). :tongue:

Ooooh image please?

I remember that on the back of 8404 house set there was an image showing how you could mix and match this set with the pizza bar from city corner and the shop from construction site...I guess that was Lego's idea with this concept. :classic:

I think the TRU is meant to be just the store front, and there's a whole imaginary store extending back from it.

It makes sense that it wouldn't be stackable (without modification, that is - all LEGO is stackable, obviously :wink: ). Are there any multilevel Toys 'R' Us stores (especially ones with the entrance on the second floor)? :tongue:

Wait, did you mean a real life store instead of aanother set? Awwwww...

I remember that on the back of 8404 house set there was an image showing how you could mix and match this set with the pizza bar from city corner and the shop from construction site...I guess that was Lego's idea with this concept. :classic:

Yeah I'm using that in my own LEGO town where I use official images to make it. I got the City Corner because it was associated with Collectable Minifigures. The Toys R Us Shop was a Toys R Us Licensed set so I got it for Christmas. City Corner was selling in 2011 and luckily I saw a City House in an Smyths Toy Store that was more far away so I didn't see it before.

I would personally call them prefab buildings (short for prefabricated). In the construction industry, the term refers to buildings where each room is constructed fully or partially in a factory. The rooms are then transported to the building site where they are attached to each other and to the foundation. The options for customizing the final building are limited but construction projects have the potential to be cheaper, faster, and more environmentally friendly compared to traditional methods.

The most recent set to use this building style is 3315 Olivia's House. The alternate images show various different configurations you can get by rearranging the rooms. It was used here because it gave girls the option of taking a break during the building process to play with what they had built so far.

I know of one Toys R Us store in Adelaide (that is aparently closing down) that had multiple levels.

And I know of a few Toys R Us stores in shopping centers that were located on an upper floor (but which were single level)

I agree with Legoman and just2good. These are just City sets on a 16 wide plate. All of them have open backs like doll houses for play-ability, which Lego has done decades. I'm not sure about calling them stackables though. It just doesn't sound right. :sceptic:

I agree with Legoman and just2good. These are just City sets on a 16 wide plate. All of them have open backs like doll houses for play-ability, which Lego has done decades. I'm not sure about calling them stackables though. It just doesn't sound right. :sceptic:

Well, there was the twist that the box photos (on at least one) showed them being "mixed and matched" together.

t3xRv.jpg

Well, there was the twist that the box photos (on at least one) showed them being "mixed and matched" together.

t3xRv.jpg

Ahh, I see. Well, it makes sense now, thanks!

Stack on :laugh:

I guess there isn't an official name. They're a main if not the main current type of buildings in LEGO City Though.

"The buildings of this set(City Corner) can be rearranged with the 8403 Family House, 7633 Construction Site, 7848 Toys R Us Truck, and 3661 Bank and Money Transfer buildings to create a street scene similar in design and concept like the Modular Houses line." (from Brickipedia, not sure if TLG official says Bank and TRU Truck can be rearranged.

Edited by TomRoid