On this TechnicBRICKS topic, Fernando Correia wrote a nice article about the 9398 4x4 Crawler, and added these two pictures:

lego-4x4-crawler.jpgrock-crawler-lego.jpg

I think that the "wild" colors are in keeping with the real rock crawlers I've seen (some of which roll on the hillside I can see from my house). At least it's not the usual (boring) RED or YELLOW Technic color scheme!

How finalized is the box art? The box art makes it look like all 3 motors are the same.

6808554651_cf370c56b6.jpg

Also, there appears to be some added gear reduction between the differential and hub assemblies. Notice the 20t gear in the above picture.

I just noticed in the video, the back of the bed has no botem. This annoys me cause theres enough room for a plate or for some beams to fit, so why not just fill in the empty space in the truck bed? Especially for me, I have basically no white beams except for a few that i would have to find. I hope this changes by the finished model.

I just noticed in the video, the back of the bed has no botem. This annoys me cause theres enough room for a plate or for some beams to fit, so why not just fill in the empty space in the truck bed? Especially for me, I have basically no white beams except for a few that i would have to find. I hope this changes by the finished model.

I doubt they would fill the space. The extra unneccisary parts would drive up the cost.

I kind of like the color scheme to :blush: . The crazy colors are definitely better than the usual red or yellow.

Tim

How finalized is the box art? The box art makes it look like all 3 motors are the same.

6808554651_cf370c56b6.jpg

Also, there appears to be some added gear reduction between the differential and hub assemblies. Notice the 20t gear in the above picture.

Yah, also the portal axle assemblies have 12t/20t gear reduction in them.

One thing I just found out. It is likely that there are two l-motors and a servo motor because looking at the video, there is a part when the front wheels turn but the rear wheels stay put. It looks like there is an independent motor for each axle, or the differentials are acting up (I think separate motors).

Look at the video, and focus @ 0:37.

I have been watching the video, and noticed this panel. Is it maybe new Technic Panel Plate 1 x 3 x 11?

6808554385_fc3d1edb9e_b.jpg

I think it's a normal panel.

Greets Edwin

Call me crazy but I like the colors a lot. Plus you can see which side is the front and which side is the back! :laugh:

on another note, if the chassis and cab do come apart easily one could combine the chassis with the Unimog cab, just like they sometimes do in real life:

58414.jpg

I don't really have a problem with the colour scheme of the body, but I don't know why they had to make the chassis red. It clashes horribly. If they made it grey it would be much better; especially if you can build your own body for it, as grey being neutral you could have almost any colour scheme without such a clash.

Also, I'm kind of worried about the B-model for this one. I think it's probably just gonna be an alternative body given what looks like a pretty limited part set...

I think vsracingteam is rite it's a normal panel on the rear with joiners on the bottom,does anyone think the wheels look a bit small on the crawler?

Also if there is motor on each axle this means no drive shafts which is a bit none real life but I know it has to be done this way!

Edited by davidmull

I think there are separate L-motors because the front-motor is 7 studs long(if I counted right). :blush:

Edit:There are really new motors they look like a combination of a xl and of a m

Edited by Rico Geller

Wow! This model is really Great! Don't care for the crazy colors, but from a functional performance standpoint it is Fantastic.

This is probably a set which is going to sell a lot. Everybody knows that the most awesome thing for a twelve year old boy is a radio controlled off-roader.

Personally though, I'm going to skip this set. Compared to the last years flagships, it's completely uninteresting technically.

I very much like the color sheme of this crawler/truck.

Also, I like how they nicely made a colors change from front to back of the body. Stickers made a great effect there, but it looks very good to me.

On the other hand, axles should not have so many colors. Only LBG would suit the truck's axles perfect.

As we see now, there are only drive and steer functions on this truck, so it is pretty simple, and as others said, pretty weaker than AFOLs are making.

But this crawler will have its audience and its simpliness would be its advantage.

Main point of interest for many of us, esspecially mocers, are of course, new motors. Servo or not, I am really looking forward to see them.

About the changable body of the truck, I would like to see 4404 body on it, maybe with a Unimog tires or PP tires.

First thing's first I hope the tyres are better than the old plastic ones that slipped inside the rims. The suspension is an almost identiacla copy of mogs (why cant you make a 4 link live axle Lego) with hard springs rather far apart meaning it will be hard and not very flexible. Seems to use 2 inependent drive motors, which means the rear motor will be doing tha hard work. About the servo... If they used unimog's ball bearings to also carry steering power, that means there is lots of gears and jerk (due to u joints) inside the steering syystem, which may result in model crabing... Color scheme is... unique, but the chassis should be gray or black IMO. Might get this one for the motors...

First thing's first I hope the tyres are better than the old plastic ones that slipped inside the rims. The suspension is an almost identiacla copy of mogs (why cant you make a 4 link live axle Lego) with hard springs rather far apart meaning it will be hard and not very flexible. Seems to use 2 inependent drive motors, which means the rear motor will be doing tha hard work. About the servo... If they used unimog's ball bearings to also carry steering power, that means there is lots of gears and jerk (due to u joints) inside the steering syystem, which may result in model crabing... Color scheme is... unique, but the chassis should be gray or black IMO. Might get this one for the motors...

hi Zblj i think tere is one drive motor in the middel of the crawler (behind the wheel of the first pic) and there are two steering motors

I look the pictures and I think there are one motor in the middle with the following gears. 20th to 12th inside the wheel in the unimog piece, 20th before the direction universal joint to a 12th alongside, inside the liftarm 5 x 7 Open Center Thick a diferential 28th to a 20th with a 12th overhead and we arrive at the universal joint inside the other unimog pieces, at this time I don´t know if we arrive to the motor or we may have another gear reduction... please help...

hi Zblj i think tere is one drive motor in the middel of the crawler (behind the wheel of the first pic) and there are two steering motors

If 2 separate motors are used for both the front and rear steering, I think it will be far too easy for it to fall out of synchronization if one motor lags behind the other one where as 2 separate drive motors wouldn't really matter.

Now i am not a big fan of off roaders,i have never built one,but could you not use a diff and a drive shaft to help stop any crabbing?

2 diferents motors conect to the same RC channel with a return to center steering always will be syncronized.

Edited by jorgeopesi

2 diferents motors conect to the same RC channel with a return to center steering always will be syncronized.

Well you have a point there,bearing this in mind i don't think we need to worry about crabbing?

Well you have a point there,bearing this in mind i don't think we need to worry about crabbing?

I suppose that is why the servo motors and the return to center system are for...