stacker9000

MOC: Train Bridge

So, my first version was only the 4 girder pieces, and the more I looked at it the smaller I thought it was, it just didn't look right to me. Now, after a couple bricklink orders, I think I am happy with the end result.

I should say, I don't have an area for a permenant layout yet, so my track gets set up temporarily on the floor and the supports are not used. Therefore, as much as I like it, I'm dreading building the run and incline for it when I do start my permenant layout.

Comments and suggestions welcome!

6792830015_f925b19f34.jpg

Untitled by stacker9000, on Flickr

6792830897_5b24242309.jpg

Untitled by stacker9000, on Flickr

Awesome bridge 'Stacker9000'! It's a great design and application with those trusses. You sure have a lot! Neat looking loco too, care to show that as well? Looking forward to hopefully seeing this in a layout default_classic.gif

:wub:

Reminds me a lot of the bridges around southern NZ. Especially with the types of locos running over them.

...oh yeah... i would like to build something similar... i have 12 of those bridgepieces from the 7900 set! (bought 3 sets)

Really realistic construction, beautifull!!!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Great looking truss bridge...

After some of the criticism I've heard these parts getting it's nice to see them also getting some love.

The incline leading up (and down the other side) is going to take a length of 10 and a half baseplates (336 Studs/105 Inches) on either side so it will take a LAARGE layout to support it unless you don't plan to run track under the bridge then you can make it much lower.

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Leg Godt Gud:.. The loco is the design from the book "Getting started with LEGO trains", just built in all black and I'm afraid my cheap camera wouldn't photograph close-ups on it very well because of its color.

roaming studio:.. I'm in Ohio, and there's a few bridges still around here that have the similar look, but also the truss pieces pretty much limit the creative design anyway(was going to try to build a whole bridge from technic bricks, but the pieces needed and the geometry involved made me resort to the molded pieces).

Lego Sjaak:.. 12 pieces:.. I'm envious, your sitting on a small gold mine!

Kyle Johnson11:..If you click on one of the pictures, it should take you to my FLICKR account, there is one photo there that has a liittle closer view. But, if you need more let me know and I'll get more shots.

Kyphur:..I agree with you about the critisms, I say, if these pieces exist..why not use them. I think they work great, and I hadn't seen to much use of them until you and I posted some creations for the 7777 Redux contest, great minds think alike, eh!

And Thank You for the measurements, I had no idea and was just going to figure it out as I went, now, layout design will be much easier to plan. As for the length, I had planned to make the rise across one length of my intended room and turn at the corner and bring the slope down along the next wall.

Again Thank You all!

I still like your bridge and i started building a new bridge with your idea of putting those bridgeparts upside down. I can use 6 bridge-pieces for each side...so it will be a long bridge... But i'm facing the problem that i do not have much tech parts. I already constructed the bridge-parts together and in combination with straight track mounted on it, it turns out to be extreme rigid..... It hardly need support, except from the two outer ends.....so maybe one pillar in the middle will be suficient....

I post pictures here, when i have a decent creation that looks like a bridge....although it will be not as nice as yours!

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Great LegoSjaak, looking forward to seeing yours done!

One piece of advice I can give you..when you flip the truss piece upside down..it throws the mounting holes(that I use to connect to the technic beam)off by a half a stud. But I solved my problem by using a combination of 1x2 technic bricks with one pin hole and with two pin holes, on top of the technic beams that run the length of the bridge.

Best of luck!!

Stacker, thanks for your advice....i just read it, and 80% of my bridge is completed. I need some parts in different colors and some extra parts... This is not the final design, but im pretty satisfied already.... About your advice.... there now is some space between the bridge-parts, but it doesn't affect how rigid the bridge is... In combination with the track, it is actually (surprisingly) immense ridgid and stiff...it doesn't bend at all... I just put one pillar under it.. i think it is not the worst pillar....

The length of the bridge is 160 studs (10 straight track-pieces), about 125 centimeters....

Hope to hear comment from any of you!

I actually do hardly ever MOC; only build original Lego-sets..but i think this bridge isn't that bad...

6819054837_5485858289.jpg

6819061225_c0b899f4d3.jpg

6819058851_2311f7c1eb.jpg

Greetz, LegoSjaak

Edited by LegoSjaak

Looks awesome LegoSjaak!

I really like your use of the yellow grill tiles and the orange lights above the lower track section, I'll definitely be adding those to my bridge also.

About its strength, that is one of the reasons mine looks the way it does, I tried to build it so there was no flexing or wobbling as a train ran through it, and also to withstand regular handling as I have pick everything back up after setting up a track, to keep the wife happy.

Your pillar design looks fantastic, I think it fits the size of the bridge perfectly and gives it a very urban look.

I am eager to see how and where you put in to your wonderful layout!

Great job..and thanks for a couple new ideas for mine!

Looks awesome LegoSjaak!

I really like your use of the yellow grill tiles and the orange lights above the lower track section, I'll definitely be adding those to my bridge also.

About its strength, that is one of the reasons mine looks the way it does, I tried to build it so there was no flexing or wobbling as a train ran through it, and also to withstand regular handling as I have pick everything back up after setting up a track, to keep the wife happy.

Your pillar design looks fantastic, I think it fits the size of the bridge perfectly and gives it a very urban look.

I am eager to see how and where you put in to your wonderful layout!

Great job..and thanks for a couple new ideas for mine!

Stacker, thank you for your great reply....you mentioned an "Urban-look" of the pillar, and that is exactly the picture i had in mind when i was building the bridge...i saw a bridge in my mind, somewhere downtown in New York..and by adding those fence-like 8x8 parts on the side, it gives the pillar that look.

I have to think where i should put the bridge.....i now know that there is no room for two inclining tracks leading to both bridge-ends...so it needs to be put somewhere in a corner, so it looks like the bridge-ends vanish in the walls along the layout... I could also make a few extra pillars and lead the track on the same height as the bridge all over the city....but the the bridge covers some nice details of my city....

Anyone suggestions?? I think this is the time to add the bridge to my layout... i tried that several times before, but at that stage the bridge was almost 2 meters long.... obviously a non-practical length...but now...well..i have a go!!

I have to order parts, to finish it....so first i have to investigate what parts i need, before ordering...haha.

Greetz and show any changes to the bridge to us!!

For the time being, i put the bridge at the side of a WIP-3677/Maersk Cargocentre.... With this picture you can see the full length of the bridge in comparison with the 7897 ICE train...

6837603865_3ecd8bb7d8.jpg

6837602575_ab8e9288b6.jpg

6837600561_498c659ee0.jpg

Hope you like it.. it will moved to another place in the layout later...

Greetz, LegoSjaa

Edited by LegoSjaak

LegoSjaak,

I just realized how narrow your bridge is. You might want to widen it by a stud or two on each side...

LegoSjaak,

I just realized how narrow your bridge is. You might want to widen it by a stud or two on each side...

Kyphur, as long as i don't use the bridge to run trains on, i will keep it as it is now, but if i want to run the Maersk-train or the EN on it, i indeed need to widen it one or two studs on each side. It can be done easy...

Greetz, LegoSjaak