Sign in to follow this  
Nom Carver

Scale issues

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Recently TLC has opted to create the same vehicles with more detail, which means making them biger, the result is that now your millenium fallcon can't stand aside of the new x wing and new tie fighter without being dwarfed by them, and making them biger also decreases their "swosh factor", in my opinion there should be a standard measure for the "sistem scale" or minifig scale without being the actual scale to the fig, also the cration of new molds or what i would call "problem solvers" wich takes away the charm of the original building blocks, in my opinion there will never be an official x wing model better than the original (7140).

At least we still can mod our models to fit any scale we want, thats what is lego made for, i just want to know your thoughts, i would share my creations but i have no acces to brickshelf, does anybody have this problem two?

And sorry for my spelling, I'm new to the community

Ships like the X-wing and TIE fighter are built to minifig scale. They are as detailed as the price point allows. These ships will never be the same scale with larger ships as the Falcon because kids can't afford 600 dollar ships. Smaller ships should not suffer on detail to try to put them to scale with the inaccurate System Falcon.

Edited by StoutFiles

The UCS Lambada Shuttle, and Falcon are to minifig scale (more or less), that's why System sets are not scaled to minifigs, huge price tags and impossibly complex builds, sure the X-Wing's etc look out of scale next to a System Falcon, but it's Lego, if you want a fully scaled fleet, MOC your own or buy plastic models.

what i mean is that TLC should build their own scale for minifigs and the actual minifig scale for the UCS and others, i am not complaining, just day dreaming, i know that with lego, if you don't like it as what it is, just do it by your self.

i mod all my sets to fit a more with each other, i hate how looks an ARC 170 or a V 19 a side of a vulture droid or a trifighter, is like the bad guys were all midgets (no harm to midgets)

The problem is that the difference in size between SW ships is too big. So it's pretty obvious they don't have make all their ships in minifigure scale. Just imagine what size the capital ships should be.

If they made the ships to be all of the same scale, they would be mainly the same size. Check this picture out:

ship%20scales_sml.jpg

i mod all my sets to fit a more with each other, i hate how looks an ARC 170 or a V 19 a side of a vulture droid or a trifighter, is like the bad guys were all midgets (no harm to midgets)

only problem is that vulture droid and tri-fighter ARE wayyyyyy smaller ships. Acctualy lego models of this 2 are 2big ;)

Tri fighter

Length

5.4 meters

Width

3.45 meters

vs.

ARC170

Length

14.5 meters

Width

22.6 meters (wingspan)

And lego arc170 is almost perfectly sized (like falcon and imperial shuttle are).

;)

Edited by Davor

only problem is that vulture droid and tri-fighter ARE wayyyyyy smaller ships. Acctualy lego models of this 2 are 2big ;)

Well, I think that building small vehicles both accurate and in the correct scale is not possible since Lego parts are not small enough. AFAIK that's true e.g. for the AT-RT and most, if not all, speeders.

Well, I think that building small vehicles both accurate and in the correct scale is not possible since Lego parts are not small enough. AFAIK that's true e.g. for the AT-RT and most, if not all, speeders.

exactly.

At this point, I don't think the designers take scale into account as much as trying to get the model to match its inspiration, maintain price-point, and still have some play-features. Something on the scale of Star wars is definitely a conundrum for toy companies, b/c there's no way to really maintain proper scale, except perhaps in a microscale, in which figures would be so small as to be nearly pointless for lack of detail. I think TLG have made some good compromises, esp with the larger ships. They're not perfect, but I'm pretty forgiving, and I think the majority of the sets are pretty well done. As for favoring the original 7140 over the newest, and far more detailed and accurate X-Wing sets, I must respectfully disagree. The 7140, as well as most of the sets from 1999-2005 were lacking. They have their charm, more nostalgic than anything, but I much prefer the direction TLG have taken in creating better, more accurate and detailed representations of the various ships, especially the medium to smaller ships, where they can afford to create a more detailed model within price-point.

I would love to see somebody build a mini-fig scaled Star Destroyer...you'd need a hangar or an empty warehouse to fit the thing, not to mention ladders and power lifts. It'd be a heck of an accomplishment. Surprised George Lucas hasn't commissioned something like that for Skywalker Ranch. If you're reading this, Mr Lucas.... :classic:

Edited by M'Kyuun

If you made an X-wing that was to scale with the system falcon, it'd be too small for Luke Skywalker to actually sit in the cockpit. From a child's perspective, it's far more important that an individual ship can fit the figures in than it is that they are necessarily in-scale with each other. This is why ridiculously out-of-proportion ships like the 6211 Imperial Star Destroyer are still popular, they're recognisable whilst still being playable.

If they made the ships to be all of the same scale, they would be mainly the same size. Check this picture out:

ship%20scales_sml.jpg

I though that destroyer was way to small until I read Pocket Destroyer, the covet is like half its length.

vehicles are not supposed to be scale accurate to each other, just enough to stand together and still include a minifig

for example:

6797724247_690f475816.jpg

P310112_13.22 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

or

6797720779_ffebf530e4.jpg

P310112_13.39 por Nom Carver, en Flickr

they are not scale accurate to each other but they look fine enough, before modifing the X wing it was about the size of the fallcon and the AT-AT, of course they are suposed to be enormous in comparison, just wanted to share my opinion

Yeah system scale is almost a necessity. There would be a lot of things that TLG couldn't make without being incredibly expensive.