No there isn't, indeed the paint wont last long :tongue:. I came up with this design because the side panels were a bit annoying, always in the way. So I used them as stabilizers themselves.

Fantastic rotator tow truck Blakbird! I really enjoyed the video showcasing all it's functions. I can't wait to see what is next! Very well done :classic:

Fantastic rotator tow truck Blakbird! I really enjoyed the video showcasing all it's functions. I can't wait to see what is next! Very well done :classic:

Well, keep in mind that dikkie klijn made the actual model, and that blakbird is creating a digital copy of it :wink:

I'm resurrecting this old thread with some new news. I've been working on a CAD file of this model for about 6 months and I am finally finished. Here are a couple of renders, and there are more at my Brickshelf (once moderated).

truck3.jpg

deploy2.jpg

It should come as no surprise that I've also been working on instructions, and this has turned into an enormous project. There are about 900 steps spread over 300 pages, with a total of about 4200 parts. I've got the instructions in good enough shape to build this model myself, at which time I'll also be correcting any errors and trying to make them easier to understand.

The presence of the CAD file also allows me to do some cool cutaway views like you see below. This shows all the internal mechanical components. At some point, I'll do a similar view for pneumatics and electrics, but I can't do that until I have all the wires and tubes synthesized which is another huge project by itself.

mechanical.jpg

Blackbird, do you have last picture in a much higher resolution? I'd love to study the functions.

WOW! It will be great to someday get Building Instructions for Dikkie Klijn's masterpiece! You make a great team! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Wow, once complete, this will be an awesome guide! Thanks for all of your work Blakbird!

tim

Blackbird, do you have last picture in a much higher resolution? I'd love to study the functions.

Yes, check my Brickshelf.

WOW! I'd definitley love to build this model but 4200 parts are gonna be hard to get :sceptic: . Anyway, how much are the instructions gonna cost?With a model of this size, Im guessing theyre going to be 25 dollars? Also, could you tell us how much it will cost to build this model? And thanks for making instructions blakbird! :classic:

I was waiting for the video and it was worth it. Together with M1longer's and Sariel's tow trucks, this one is next to them in my top 3.

Hmm, this thread forgot another absolute astonishing marvel of a tow truck: Andrea Grazi's Tow Truck:

http://www.eurobrick...0

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=74562

sequentially-05.jpg

So we have 4 "Champions league" Tow Trucks....

Edited by Kumbbl

This is an absolutely fantastic MOC dikkie klijn :thumbup: and well done Blackbird for spending all that time making a CAD file :classic:

*snip*

Is this really the appropriate topic to ask this...? :sceptic:

Is this really the appropriate topic to ask this...? :sceptic:

hmm, maybe you are right.....changed, s.a.

Edited by Kumbbl

I have no words to describe the work you did there ! It's just reminded me how organized, patient, and hard worker you are !

Great job !

But, regarding the price of the model, I'm wondering how many people will be able to afford it ?

And i like how massive it looks. Most trucks made today in studless look so hollow. This really looks heavy. Fitting for this kind of vehicle.

I want to thank you blakbird for your amazing renders :).

@Rishab N: I have yet to decide what the price for the instructions will be so I can't say anything regarding that now.

@GuiliuG: According to Blakbird the total price for the model would be about $1000. But I would be more concerned about the parts availabillity on bricklink ;).

Last night, after much work, I finally finished my version of the tow truck. What a project! I thought I would share a few photos of the construction. These first pictures show the parts. Note that this is only the first 2/3 of the parts. The parts for the crane and cabin I had procured separately.

img_0350.jpgimg_0351.jpg

img_0352.jpg

These next couple of pictures show some of the massive maze of wiring inside this monster. Amazingly, it is all totally hidden once the model is complete.

img_0353.jpgimg_0354.jpg

At this point I completed the "first stage" which used about 3000 parts.

img_0355.jpg

Then I used the remaining 1500 parts to build the crane and cabin. These pictures show the final result.

img_0356.jpgimg_0357.jpg

img_0358.jpgimg_0359.jpg

My instructions worked reasonably well, but there are quite a few things I need to make better before I publish them. Most importantly, the instructions do not have the wiring or the pneumatics. I'm not sure I'm ever going to be able to document these correctly in CAD, so I may end up just including photos of what to do.

Maybe tomorrow I will take a picture of this next to Grazi's tow truck for comparison.