Sign in to follow this  
SavaTheAggie

MOC: T1 Triumphant

3964812327_a8eedefa8b.jpg

When I first tried to build a Pennsylvania T1 duplex steam engine I gave up on it. In fact I gave up on it many times. But after a lot if help from a lot of folks over at flickr I was able to finally build one in LEGO form.

But her performance was... troubled. She ran fine in straights but bogged down in curves. I wasn't using a wheelbase design I hadn't before, so I was supremely disappointed. The mighty T1 got relegated to being yard candy at train shows.

Click the link below to see her past performance :

PRR T1 #5544 In Action

Then a few months ago I decided to change something on another train MOC that was giving me trouble, and being successful there, I gave the T1 another chance.

This weekend at the SAMRA train show was my first time to test the T1 under non laboratory conditions after the last bit of work. It took a bit more tweaking, but I am proud to say she ran like the thoroughbred she is. Fast and true she barely even flinches at curves.

She now stands tall, T1 triumphant.

Click below to see the video of her triumphant return to mainline service on TexLUG layouts:

T1 Triumphant

--Tony

Fracking Awesome!

I'm not into the old steam engines but your stuff sometimes makes me both wish I was (so I could have engines like yours) and glad I'm not (because I'd have to learn how to build some of those beautiful monsters)...

As my little would say (in his best train Whistle voice), "Wooo, Wooo"!

At some point I'm going to have to get to a convention to see some of the fantastic trains, built by the true masters of the art, in action It's such a joy to see something like that running. Fabulous!

Thank you all, I appreciate it. She's an old MOC, I've posted her here before. But I am truly thrilled and relieved to see her run so well. I tend to pride myself in building only MOCs of trains that are fully track compatible. If I build something that can't run, no matter how good it looks, I tend to view it as a failure. I saw the T1 as such a failure.

Now if I could just improve the performance of my Angus...

--Tony

Instructions for this MOC are now available in my Bricklink Shop.

Yeah I got the email about this and some other unhappy avians... They look good. Real good.

I might just have to get me one of those to go with the amazing Berkshire that's currently sitting on my shelf :)