Sign in to follow this  
Radar

MOC: PF Thomas the Tank Engine

So after years of having no easy and good way to make a real steam engine with the traditional 9v system, PF came out! Mold that with some of Big Ben's Bricks and a new MOC is born. My Thomas was created upon repeated requests over the years at model train shows I've participated in. I finally had the time and proper parts to build one.

My Thomas has working front and rear lights and uses a rechargeable battery box and medium motor. The PF components are crammed into the 10 wide ( 8 wide on the actual engine ) interior with no room to spare. The only modded part is the face from the duplo Thomas. I refused to use a non lego part so cutting off just the Thomas face was my only option. I'm personally happy with the result.

Thomas is turned on by simply pressing the boiler dome. Same manner as the 7939 train.

Stickers will come eventually, when I figure out the dimensions and how to make the darn things.

For those interested, I've included a video on the operation.

Enjoy! And remarks/ potential improvements are appreciated.

100_1928-1.jpg

100_1926-1.jpg

100_1927-1.jpg

100_1929-1.jpg

100_1931-1.jpg

100_1932-1.jpg

100_1934-1.jpg

It's big but I like it.

Always fun cramming in all that PF equipment. Nice use of the dome as a power switch.

(Looking at it again, if you build the dome assembly on a 2x4 plate instead of a 2x3, and attach a 1x2 plate underneath at the PF connector end, you might fix the slight slant I can see in the pics and still find there is sufficient give to activate the power button)

I'm sure it will be appreciated by the younger ones at the train shows. Now you'll have to build Annie and Clarabel at the same scale so he has some work to do.

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Well done! I'm sure this will help with getting the kids interest. :thumbup:

When you say you cut off the Duplo face, how did you cut it, do you mean you literally cut it off or does the face come as a distinct piece?

I literally cut the face off. The duplo piece includes part of the boiler and side cowels over the wheels. I took a knife and carefully cut everything that wasn't black and attatched to the face.

It's true he does look a bit big, but I tried to make him smaller without certain functions and the proportions didn't match up as well as I liked with the face. So I stuck with the 8 wide locomotive and 2 wide grey deck. Annie and Clarabel will come soon along with James, Gordon, Percy and Toby.

Id say make him two studs narrower ( 8 stud wide) and one stud shorter(in height!) and you ll gain the realism that is missing due to scale bloating

Edited by Konrad

I love it!

The full-sized Thomas comes to my town for two weekends every summer, so I'd love to have this one!