On Stranger Tides

Brickars

This might be the wrong place, but what is the best shipfighting game? I have been playing brickwars a lot recently, so what is a good ship battle game? Has there been any more since evil Steve's?

I did an attempt to fully understand that evil steve's game but I find it to complicated to actually play it, maybe it should be simplified to some kind of chess board (but a lot bigger, every type of ship with its own movements).

I did an attempt to fully understand that evil steve's game but I find it to complicated to actually play it, maybe it should be simplified to some kind of chess board (but a lot bigger, every type of ship with its own movements).

Yea I think Me,Vdubsguy and Admiral B are going to make up one that makes sense... Maybe measure it instead of by brickbuilt or hulls. I didn't like the names of the classes or ship types. So I'm gonna try with mast numbers and length and rigging type...

It's not so easy to simplify such game either because there is so much variation in the ships, their different lenghts makes it difficult to such chess board like I said.

Buf if we were to bestow each ship, no mater the size, with the same square surface it could work.

Depending on the type of ship they have different movevents depending on the wind (which can take 4 different position (N,E,S and W)

on top of that those movements are multiplied with a factor that takes the amount of sails in account.

Maybe that sounds complicated already :pir-sceptic:

Evil Stevies is decently realistic... Although a bit complicated. But, I think it is the best of all the lego wargames.

I have been working on a wargame for years, but we have not really moved to specialized water rules yet (where we account for fleet movement, different types of soldiers, etc...) or else I would just release the Alpha rules for people to tinker with. Although, some day it will be glorious... haha. We are building a game you can play with three figs or three thousand figs, with ease of play being slightly harder than brickwars. (for the more advanced gamer, where brickwars is pretty basic)

I would like to see what others have come up with over the years.

Evil Stevies is decently realistic... Although a bit complicated. But, I think it is the best of all the lego wargames.

I have been working on a wargame for years, but we have not really moved to specialized water rules yet (where we account for fleet movement, different types of soldiers, etc...) or else I would just release the Alpha rules for people to tinker with. Although, some day it will be glorious... haha. We are building a game you can play with three figs or three thousand figs, with ease of play being slightly harder than brickwars. (for the more advanced gamer, where brickwars is pretty basic)

I would like to see what others have come up with over the years.

Im making one up tomorrow, if we come up with rules ill post them in a new topic.

We did have a game like that in the past. But it was quite difficult and time consuming.

Therefore it didn't work, but it looked quite awesome :pir-classic:

Here is the game thread, and here the discussion.

Perhaps it's a useful source for inspiration. But you'll have to do it better otherwise it won't work :pir-grin:

I have been wanting to try Evil Stevie's, but first I need to find people to play with me!

I went through the rules a couple of times and decided it was pretty complicated too, but that it would be easy to leave out a few things to simplify it. Overall, I don't think the movement would be that bad, but just some of the other variables. I don't know though as I haven't really experienced it.

If I don't find some people to play with, I'll just start pushing boats around on my floor by myself. :pir_bawling:

I have been wanting to try Evil Stevie's, but first I need to find people to play with me!

I went through the rules a couple of times and decided it was pretty complicated too, but that it would be easy to leave out a few things to simplify it. Overall, I don't think the movement would be that bad, but just some of the other variables. I don't know though as I haven't really experienced it.

If I don't find some people to play with, I'll just start pushing boats around on my floor by myself. :pir_bawling:

I played a coouple of days ago. It's fun, but the movement is by far the worst part...

I think that the only way of making a game such as Evil Stevie's is either through a computer program (like Sid Meier's Pirates) or using maneuver cards.

I'm not sure if anyone knows a game called Wings of War, which I believe is the kind of game we are aiming at, though it is with planes. As you can see in the image below it basically consists of a card game, in which every plane has a card and a series of maneuver cards, determining its next position. It also has an angle range, determined by the clearer ares in the plane card, and a distance range. The game is played in rounds of three cards each, being the maneuver cards chosen at the begging of the round without the knowledge of our opponents moves. I'm not sure if I was clear enough but this is the basis of the game, plus each plane (or ship in our case) has specific strength, movements and range.

WingsAtWar.9.6.06.jpg

(...) plus each plane (or ship in our case) has specific strength, movements and range.

(...)

And there lies the big problem how do you compare ships and especially moc's, there is a discussion about that in the rocks and shoals topic, link above.

Bart