Piranha

The next space theme....

How about a space cowboy theme?

I personally, would like to see a space salvage crew or something. Sort of like the old rescue sets from way back when, sure it's a rehash, but more with a space theme. Space Police 3 captured the awesome that was space police 1 and 2, at least in my book, and I spent my hard earned money for a majority of the sets, but maybe a space emergency response team to go along with 'em. Maybe throw in "Space pirates" as the villians, so you'd have the salvage/rescue team and then the space pirates trying to get a piece of the action.

Both of these seem to have aspects of a Firefly-type theme. Too bad LEGO probably won't (and likely can't, since Fox doesn't seem to be doing anything with it) do a licensed Firefly theme. Something similar to that (Space western, "bad guys" as protagonists, etc) I would like to see in a new theme, LEGO hasn't done anything like that before.

They could make a space exploration theme as well.

This would include the explorers and some buildings/locations/wrecks of an ancient space travelling race that is basically unknown. They could introduce a villain as well as some kind of antagonist, and a plot that is about the race of decrypting the mystery surrounding the ancient race first.

I'd love to see a revival of blacktron.

Backstory could be: Just when the universe has forgotten about them, Blacktron returns, stealing technology and spying on peaceful human fractions (based on classic space) and aliens. Combining the most advanced technology of both worlds in their new ships, blacktron becomes a real thread to peaceful space exploration. For Wave 2 of the sets the humans could create a new elite Space Marines unit to protect their ships and bases. So Wave 2 would be Blacktron VS. Space Marines, with all kinds of mechs, ground- and space-vehicles. This would be an awesome lineup. :cry_happy:

I'd love to see a revival of blacktron.

Backstory could be: Just when the universe has forgotten about them, Blacktron returns, stealing technology and spying on peaceful human fractions (based on classic space) and aliens. Combining the most advanced technology of both worlds in their new ships, blacktron becomes a real thread to peaceful space exploration. For Wave 2 of the sets the humans could create a new elite Space Marines unit to protect their ships and bases. So Wave 2 would be Blacktron VS. Space Marines, with all kinds of mechs, ground- and space-vehicles. This would be an awesome lineup. :cry_happy:

:thumbup::wub_drool:

Sssteampunk, I think this would be a great way to get kids more into the steampunk genre, with an action/adventure story, good guys fighting the evil pirates in their air ships, mechs and tanks. TLG already have an abundance of parts relative to this theme, so that's not an issue, whether or not it will be well recieved nobody knows, but unless TLG do something like this we'll never find out, if they ever do I guarantee I'll be getting my hands on those sets. I think this theme has the potential to span across a vast age range.

Cheers.

I for one will also like Blacktron to come back as a space theme. However i would like them to come out as a whole space theme themselves rather than complete each set with a good guy's vehicle.

Using Sp3 as a comparison where they included the bad guys and their vehicles, i felt that the quality and design of the sp3 vehicles could have been better if they concentrated only one space police ships or bases in one set. While they had a modern look and feel but somehow it was lagging that solid built look for the kind of pricing. However looking at it, i guess it made sense since a kid who fixes up most of the SP3 sets would have a good and bad guy's ship to play with immediately.

Not sure if this is too retro these days, but having a new blacktron series with some sets planned out with light and sound (optional) will definitely be a plus. :classic:

With all the talk of "bring it back" as it were to the older themes, I'd rather something new. but on the other hand, what else is there to do that's actually doable? Space marines, too bloody violent for the lego groups. I personally, would like to see a space salvage crew or something. Sort of like the old rescue sets from way back when, sure it's a rehash, but more with a space theme. Space Police 3 captured the awesome that was space police 1 and 2, at least in my book, and I spent my hard earned money for a majority of the sets, but maybe a space emergency response team to go along with 'em. Maybe throw in "Space pirates" as the villians, so you'd have the salvage/rescue team and then the space pirates trying to get a piece of the action.

maybe add a space monkey to the line up. Cause I mean who doesn't like monkeys?

Isn't that what M-Tron and Blacktron were orignally though? I always thought (At least when I was a kid playing with them.) that M-Tron seemed kind of into the salvage thing. Some of the ships had magnatised bits for hauling stuff about and they had that huge wheeled thing that if I remember had some sort of magnet thing on it. I got the impression that original Blacktron were out to steal the M-Tron loot. At least that is how I always played with them.

Isn't that what M-Tron and Blacktron were orignally though? I always thought (At least when I was a kid playing with them.) that M-Tron seemed kind of into the salvage thing. Some of the ships had magnatised bits for hauling stuff about and they had that huge wheeled thing that if I remember had some sort of magnet thing on it. I got the impression that original Blacktron were out to steal the M-Tron loot. At least that is how I always played with them.

M-Tron were miners, I think.

M-Tron v.s. Blacktron would be :thumbup:.

I'd also like to see a return of Blacktron. BT1 and 2 were both great themes with some excellent sets. I'd also like to see an updated Classic Space. Mark Stafford (Nabii), an AFOL turned TLG Designer, has some awesome models on his Flickr in line with what I'd love to see as a Classic Space revival.

I have to agree that the "conflict in a box" concept has a tendency to minimize the quality of the primary model in favor of putting some small enemy vehicle or equipment in the same set. I suppose it helps sales, but I didn't need conflict when I was a kid. I bought the sets b/c I liked how the model looked on the box. Unfortunately, I doubt it will change anytime soon.

As far as a new space theme goes, terra-forming would be something new. It'd be an opportunity to create a capital ship containing various pods, each with a different function, which could detach and land on the planet of choice. In this fashion the pods could themselves be self-contained sets, i.e. a garage and rover set; a lab set with robot surveyor; a botanical pod; a habitation pod for the busy terra-formers. Smaller sets could be various flying, crawling, and submersible vehicles used to explore and facilitate the terra-forming efforts. The vehicles could also be designed to transport the pods. And for conflict purposes, since it's a bit of a necessity these days, the planet's indiginous life-forms could strike back with their own assortment of vehicles and such. A revival of the Insectoids, with insectile mecha would be most welcome, IMO.

I would also like to suggest a past concept called "Seatron".

Just think of it, an underwater theme merged with space bases. :wub: Here is a picture of a concept by TLG that was featured in BrickJournal.

seatron1.jpg

I would also like to suggest a past concept called "Seatron".

Just think of it, an underwater theme merged with space bases. :wub: Here is a picture of a concept by TLG that was featured in BrickJournal.

snip

A space marines theme could make use of that concept. Every year, the environment and gear changes.

Deep space, underwater, desert, ice, jungle, space-city, non-breathable-atmosphere-world, underground, etc. The possibilities are endless; just ask George Lucas.

Edited by Macoco
Picture removed, no need to quote the image in the next post

I really don't get why TLG is so intent on having conflict-based themes - I mean, yes, it sells, but that doesn't mean every single theme (aside from, like, Friends and Creator) needs to center on a conflict. If anything, I would think a more exploration-focused space theme would be preferable since it's less similar to Star Wars, thus avoiding the "internal competition" that TLG tries to avoid by, for instance, setting aside the Pirates line to do Pirates of the Caribbean.

What would be really cool, I think, would be a reboot of Classic Space designed as a sort of sequel to Alien Conquest - 50 years later, ADU scientists have reverse-engineered the captured alien ships and built their own (in a whole new color scheme, of course) and are setting out to explore the galaxy.

I really don't get why TLG is so intent on having conflict-based themes - I mean, yes, it sells, but that doesn't mean every single theme (aside from, like, Friends and Creator) needs to center on a conflict. If anything, I would think a more exploration-focused space theme would be preferable since it's less similar to Star Wars, thus avoiding the "internal competition" that TLG tries to avoid by, for instance, setting aside the Pirates line to do Pirates of the Caribbean.

What would be really cool, I think, would be a reboot of Classic Space designed as a sort of sequel to Alien Conquest - 50 years later, ADU scientists have reverse-engineered the captured alien ships and built their own (in a whole new color scheme, of course) and are setting out to explore the galaxy.

Yeah, I too have been hoping for a return of just simply an exploration type space theme, futuristic that is, not like the ones that are done for the CITY theme and are meant to represent modern space exploration.

I hope we will see or hear about (any) new space theme that would be released in 2013 soon. :classic:

Two words: UFO hunters! There could be fighters, escape pods, mother ships and lots of hunters with cars, trucks, planes and boats.

I support the idea! :sweet:

It could actually be used as a prequel theme to Alien Conquest!

Blacktron III would be great. I'd also like to see a modern take on Classic Space as well and maybe that never-released Seatron theme. KDog's Lego: Space - The Comic really makes me wish TLC would bring back old themes instead of new ones like Alien Conquest. The best parts of AC were the guns and the minifigs. Major wow. :hmpf_bad:

I for one will also like Blacktron to come back as a space theme. However i would like them to come out as a whole space theme themselves rather than complete each set with a good guy's vehicle.

Using Sp3 as a comparison where they included the bad guys and their vehicles, i felt that the quality and design of the sp3 vehicles could have been better if they concentrated only one space police ships or bases in one set. While they had a modern look and feel but somehow it was lagging that solid built look for the kind of pricing. However looking at it, i guess it made sense since a kid who fixes up most of the SP3 sets would have a good and bad guy's ship to play with immediately.

Not sure if this is too retro these days, but having a new blacktron series with some sets planned out with light and sound (optional) will definitely be a plus. :classic:

I'd like to see an M-Tron/Blacktron theme. Have a 6 set wave with 3 of each team. I don't have any specific set ideas, but they know what's good.

(Hi guys! normally about as much of a lurker as my namesake.. figured it was about time I dropped out of hyperspace)

Quick idea:

===================

=STAR MOTH=

===================

In the distant future, brickind has spread into the stars..

And in the stars, they have found life such as ours.

And so the GALATIC FEDERATION was formed. Its SPACEFLEET is formed form only the best and brightest of its peoples.

Tasked with keeping the peace, and exploring the universe, this is the story of but one of their ships..

The..

STAR

MOTH

(Yeah, it's TOS Trek with the numbers filed off.. But TOS is great :tongue: )

Sets would be a mix of MIDI starships with a minifig of that ship's captain, and "Away mission" style playsets with a shuttle; plus monster of the week and some hapless miners, or space pirates holding a crew member to ransom, a computer for the dashing captain to talk to death, some alien ruins with a bit of shiny tech and a guardian robot, etc..

I don't know about you guys, but I would buy it.. :laugh:

Edited by Naggarok

Personally I'd like to see a return of the ORIGINAL space throw-down: Futuron/Classic Space vs Blacktron: Those two themes (along with the Forestmen, but that's a different story) were what got my brother and I into LEGO in the first place, during the summer of 1988... Our first two sets ever were the Blacktron Alienator and the Forestmen's Hideout.... As a matter of fact, I've done my best to kind of reconstruct the Futuron/Blacktron themes within my larger LEGO setting (the elite forces of the evil Grand Duchy of New York are the Blacktron Guard (which uses Rench torsos and Space Villian parts, along with some of the World Racers black helmets with skulls and Aquaraiders II helmets with black visors), and the the space fighter division of the Federal Republic of America Air Force uses the Futuron color scheme on their space ships and this torso for their space suits, to kind of give a neo-Futuron look....

For what it's worth, this was posted in another thread.

Once or twice, the first time I had this dream involving a power miner set, it ran on a single tread, and had a extending gripper arm and a water drill. The next morning I got on Eurobricks, a picture that matched the upper body of my dream appeared, with legs. It was known as the magma mech. The next time was a dream, yellow and red vehicles and Dino's. oddly, the next day the rumors of Dino appeared. I don't know why, but the last dream recently, was a space one, Miners with a yellow and purple color scheme fighting cyborg alien blacktron things. I only saw one set, the small one, the miner had a small speeder, reminiscent of the classic space ones. and the miner, he was yellow with purple arms.

Am I predicting things?

Space-Miners v.s. Blacktron Cyborgs sounds plausible, as does the yellow and purple color-scheme.

I really hope that LEGO's next Space theme is a true space theme, i.e. it's completely set in Space. Alien Conquest was charming enough, but it was all set on Earth. I really want a new capital ship to display next to my Galactic Enforcer, which remains to this day one of my favorite sets of all time.

Imagine what they could do with Ice Planet 2...

I've picked up the Lego Master Building Academy sets and Lego Universe sets recently. TLG should try and consider to make a theme out of that; the MBA logo is ideally suited for this.

ts.20111018t135021.image.png

Also the idea of working with seperate interlocking modules would be a nice touch, that way you could set up your orbitting spacestation or spacecarrier to your own liking. :thumbup:

Or a Alien Conquest: Earth Strikes Back, self-explantory... combined with things described above. :sweet:

Something similar in style to Mass Effect. Hopefully going to pick up the third installation this weekend, but my god, it does look good :cry_happy:

Edited by Housey98

A fresh angle could be adapting an old sci-fi comic book theme, similar along the lines of Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers....old school space ships, ray guns and an evil ruler of a alien planet wanting to rule the universe.....then a minifig hero and crew rise up to fight this evil foe. :wink: