Piranha

The next space theme....

So it doesn't look like we will be getting a new or continuation of any space theme in 2012. But maybe we will have a new one in 2013, TLG is certainly getting better in set designs and concepts as of recent years.

My first idea is sort of a modern take on Classic Space, the same design for the Series 1 Astronaut I think is perfect for the minifigs. Different color suits maybe could be done again or something different. I would like this theme to get back to the exploration of space with a conflict but not like in recent years there will be no aliens. There can be space astronauts who have zip guns and are like the security team and space marauders (new helmet design) and space civilians. Also robots play a nice role in the sets as helpers. I would like to see a modern day take on the Galaxy Explorer as well as a new space monorail set, moon bases and all sorts of smaller sets like space mechs and smaller civilian type ships.

Here is my set wave breakdown:

Space Moon Base Alpha Monorail: $150 1000+ pieces

The D2C set of the first wave and TLG exclusive. A new redesigned monorail system is long over due and can be implemented in City too. A simple loop with raising up and down and a nicely designed moon base and transport area. Maybe a small ship and a mech to explore the planet. Includes 3 Space Astronauts, 2 Space Marauders and Space Civilians and robot.

Galaxy Explorer 2.0: $75-$100 750+ pieces

The largest consumer store set of the wave the flagship set that is not the D2C. Basic concept and maybe a similar color scheme to original, I would like to see some originality here and a nicely built ship. Includes 3-4 minifigs such as the pilot, astronaut and civilian and various cargo and a small planet rover vehicle.

Outer Moon Base Outpost: $40-50 400+ pieces

A moon base outpost where studies are being conducted. Includes a new crater baseplate with a small base, space rover and some mineral bricks the ore part in chrome green or chrome blue or standard colors. Lets call it unabatanium (spelling?) :laugh: Minifigs include a Scientist, Astronaut, robot and Engineer type fig.

Exploration Mech: $20-30 200+ pieces

This will be a nice mech type set where the astronaut or scientist can explore a planet and do certain things like take samples or drill or battle etc. There can also be another one for the space marauders with a different color scheme. Includes astronaut and robot and ore parts.

Planet Rover: $10 50+ pieces

A small rover that can be drive around and has shocks etc and also has a cargo to carry around. Includes astronaut or space civilian.

Now for your ideas. :wink:

Edited by Macoco

How about Blacktron III v.s. M-Tron II?

The M-Trons are miners who use high-tech magnets to mine for ores on various worlds. They are humans.

The Blacktrons are space-pirates who want to steel the ores and M-Tron's magnet tech. They are cyborgs.

When Blacktron attacks, M-Tron must build weapons using their advanced magnetic technology in order to fight back.

Blacktron's color scheme is the old black with trans-yellow glass.

M-Tron's color scheme is red with black and dark bley accents, and the new trans-green color glass.

Set design of Blacktron resembles the Minifigs: Black, with silver and bley accents. Ships and other vehicles have many greebles, and are relativly sleek, but look scratched, damaged, and modified from how they originally looked. (Like the cyborg Minifigs)

Set design of M-Tron also resembles the Minifigs: red, with black accents. Ships and other vebicles are very sleek, not many greebles, and look as though they just came from the factory. (Like the Minifigs)

Minifigs on both sides use their respective color schemes, and use the new space marine gear. (Helmet, armor, ETC)

Edited by Legoman273

I'd really like to see a new exploration theme. Probably based on a moon-like environment, and taking lots of features from CS. Have a few sets with aliens (but primarily peaceful encounters).

Or perhaps a space city sort of thing (could possibly have a few Space Police figures in it, since a city has to have a police force). There could be a monorail system throughout the city, buildings, flying cars, maybe a landing pad (with a ship to land on it). And the buildings and ships and such would have aliens working in them with humans.

OF course, being (mostly) peaceful themes, TLG probably won't do it because they seem to think no kid on Earth would buy a set that doesn't have aliens getting blown up and obtrusive play features to do stuff... Oh well...

Bringing back M-Tron would be great and whilst it has never come to fruition it must at least be banded about meetings and discusssions with designers. I would hope they would keep the original design as much as possible as it was so clean though I suspect the new CMF/Alien conquest helmet will get used for most "space" themes in future.

If they kept the magnets "gimmick" though who knows what price the sets would be these days :hmpf: And in my eyes if it is ever to be M-tron it has to have magnets!

I'd love to see any of the -Trons come back. A return of Blacktron with some detailed figs... :wub: Those would be bought.

I generally like the "Space Police" theme. The problem I have with "Space Police" and the other "classic" themes is that they are too one-dimensional and lacking some depth. So I'd like to see more factions, especially fancy aliens. Introducing a crossover (Sci Fi and Fantasy) may help as well to create a richer world.

I generally like the "Space Police" theme. The problem I have with "Space Police" and the other "classic" themes is that they are too one-dimensional and lacking some depth. So I'd like to see more factions, especially fancy aliens. Introducing a crossover (Sci Fi and Fantasy) may help as well to create a richer world.

Like space-wizards and alien dragons and such you mean? Sounds a bit odd, but it could work if done right.

Like space-wizards and alien dragons and such you mean? Sounds a bit odd, but it could work if done right.

Well, human and other beings with supernatural powers, be they priests or wizards or whatever, yes. I did not have a flying alien dragon in mind but insectoid and other races, but yes, that is the basic idea. That all combined with mundanes weilding laser canons.

I hope they don't do "magic in space", I'm so sick of dragons and magic being in everything.

The only thing I like about Ninjago is the moddable weapons, but we could already do that before... in better color combinations. (Okay, I like the Power Ranger-esque thing they're doing now lol) I like making custom weapons for my Space people, maybe I'll start a weapon thread for Space like the Hammers one in the Historic area.

I hope we get more Space Police but kinda doubt it. I'd be happy with just getting more aliens, we can build our own sets after all.

Edited by DrNightmare

Like I've said a billion times before and I'll say it again. SPACE CITY!!! We need a them like city except with futuristic buildings and vehicles. No conflict, just a space themed futuristic city. It'd be so incredible if they put the same amount of effort in as they do with normal city. I'd probably buy every set. But I imagine the next theme Is going to be pretty lame. What'd be even cooler is to have a darker themed space line. Something creepy and serious, but lego would never do that. :hmpf_bad:

Revisit some of the great theme's from the 80s and 90s

Blacktron 2, m-tron, IP:2002, exploriens, Unitron, spyrius, etc.

The groundwork is there, the fanbase is there. Explore new possibilities with new pieces, maybe advance the storylines a few hundred years. It would be epic.

how about starcraft?, i know is too much to ask for but we can still dream

now with the space marine that is coming

Edited by Nom Carver

Like I've said a billion times before and I'll say it again. SPACE CITY!!! We need a them like city except with futuristic buildings and vehicles. No conflict, just a space themed futuristic city. It'd be so incredible if they put the same amount of effort in as they do with normal city. I'd probably buy every set. But I imagine the next theme Is going to be pretty lame. What'd be even cooler is to have a darker themed space line. Something creepy and serious, but lego would never do that. :hmpf_bad:

TLG would not make a non-conflict-based space city theme. They might do something like SP III, but have civillian minifigs and vehicles. :sceptic:

Edited by Legoman273

Easiest would be an official Blacktron III theme, the torso's are already designed, just some more evil heads and stuff.

But I would much rather see another faction joing the fight against those nasties from 'Alien Conquest' or 'Space Police III'. Coming from the Dark-side of the moon, which have a base, low-grav buggies etc.

I'd love to have a return to Blacktron out of all the old space themes. However whether this would happen I am not sure. If it did I'd quite like the faction to get some alien members, it could be a good tie in with the creatures from the other 'Bad' space themes over the years. After all do the Blacktron / Spyrius factions only have human operatives? Could it be that only humans in space need Police? How about some alien headed Space Police, not all alien's can be bad guys.

I do like that idea and would be a great opportunity for a new monorail. :blush:

After all do the Blacktron / Spyrius factions only have human operatives? Could it be that only humans in space need Police? How about some alien headed Space Police, not all alien's can be bad guys.

Yes, with any new space theme LEGO does, I would like to see more aliens in a "good", or at least "neutral" role. Neutral aliens were shown in some of the SP3 stop motion videos, but never included in any sets. SP3 seemed to be rather racist to me, only aliens ever got arrested, and no humans. Of course, LEGO might not do it because of concerns that it would confuse the kids...

You know, I would REALLY love a "space station"-based theme, where all the sets are "modules" of the space station that could be attached to each other or a central "hub" unit. Since there always has to be a "bad guy" (sigh) perhaps there would be two separate, warring factions, each with their own "hub" and modules (though they would all be compatible with each other for maximum playability).

With all the talk of "bring it back" as it were to the older themes, I'd rather something new. but on the other hand, what else is there to do that's actually doable? Space marines, too bloody violent for the lego groups. I personally, would like to see a space salvage crew or something. Sort of like the old rescue sets from way back when, sure it's a rehash, but more with a space theme. Space Police 3 captured the awesome that was space police 1 and 2, at least in my book, and I spent my hard earned money for a majority of the sets, but maybe a space emergency response team to go along with 'em. Maybe throw in "Space pirates" as the villians, so you'd have the salvage/rescue team and then the space pirates trying to get a piece of the action.

maybe add a space monkey to the line up. Cause I mean who doesn't like monkeys?

I hate monkeys. I don't want them in space too :tongue:

I'm sad to say I don't care what comes next for Space as long as it brings cool new Space minifigure designs and equipment. The themes are always interesting to me, but the sets usually aren't :[

Of course, LEGO might not do it because of concerns that it would confuse the kids...

That's such a weird reason, not making a theme less racist because it'll confuse kids who already think that people who have an extra pair of arms or different skin color makes them criminals :tongue:

I hate monkeys. I don't want them in space too :tongue:

I'm sad to say I don't care what comes next for Space as long as it brings cool new Space minifigure designs and equipment. The themes are always interesting to me, but the sets usually aren't :[

That's such a weird reason, not making a theme less racist because it'll confuse kids who already think that people who have an extra pair of arms or different skin color makes them criminals :tongue:

:roflmao:

That's kind of a scary thought...scary because it's kinda true. :look: