Sign in to follow this  
gotoAndLego

MOC 1969 Mercury Cougar

indexed.gif V-LV-55D

Since I was in an automotive mood I decided to take a crack at one of my favorite muscle cars. Its only a shell, but the doors and trunk open; I do think it needs to be two studs wider because it feels really slim. I plan on having an opening hood with engine, and an interior.

Cougar1.jpg

Cougar2.jpg

Cougar3.jpg

What do you guys think?

What do you guys think?

Tough subject. I would never have ID'd your build as a Cougar. My neighbor has a '68 Cougar in the driveway. Sweet looking car but nothing standout distinctive the tooth grille which the '69 downplayed. The '69 added the swooping side body character line.

I like your grille and it looks like it has gaps for hidden headlights. Maybe you can build out the center portion like the 1:1. Colorful racing stripes that help define the hood but would prefer if they didn't extend over the vinyl top (another nice touch).

Cougar+girls.jpg

How about a convertible next?

Not bad start 'gotoAndLego', though your creation is more Model Team than city/town. :wink:

Keep going......Brick On Drive On ! :classic:

If my experience is anything to go by, it is more likely to appreciated by people in the town forum than in the Technic/ Model Team forum.

I have to echo htbomb, here, gotoAndLego. There's not a lot about the car that makes it immediately identifiable as a Mercury Cougar. Then again, the '69 Cougar doesn't have a lot of very distinctive features, which obviously makes building a recognisable model a lot harder. Racing stripes over the vinyl roof look odd.

Knowing what it is that you're trying to model, I think you've done a reasonable job. I've built a lot of cars on a similar scale and don't think it is too narrow. I think it is too long, but not much! It's got a wheelbase of 16 studs and a width of 10, which makes the scale approximately 1/22 (the scale I use for many of my cars too, because it works well with the wheels). At that scale, it should be at most 28 studs long. Unless I miscounted, the model now is 29 studs long. Not far off, but on a car that isn't all that distinctive to start with, small things matter. I think you can improve the look a lot by making the front end, forward of the front wheels, one stud shorter. I'd also lose the green bits on the wheels. It's not a bad part to replicate knock-off wheel covers, but not in green. They're really distracting.

There are a few small things that would add a lot to the look. Rear-view mirrors, for instance. The real car also has reflectors or indicator light repeaters on its flanks, which you can easily replicate by building trans red and trans orange 1x1 plates into the sides. Finally, the front and rear bumpers on the real car are u-shaped: they curve upwards at the corners; one of the few distinctive features the car has. This may not be particularly easy, perhaps, but would help a lot.

There's not a whole lot that is needed to raise the level of this model from unremarkable to really good.

Cheers,

Ralph

Edited by Ralph_S

I made a couple of quick changes. I shortened the hood one stud, removed the racing strips over the top, fixed the bumpers, and tried a different grill using vertical lines. The green wheel caps wil be replaced with something else later, I just didn't have anything star like in a grey color.

Cougar4.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

What a difference a stud makes :sweet: I like the shape of it much better now. Neat grille too.

Cheers,

Ralph

I'm away from my bricks but I made further changes to it in LDD...

Cougar6.jpg

Cougar7.jpg

Cougar8.jpg

Cougar9.jpg

Here is the interior.

Cougar10.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

You may want to lower the roof by a plate or so, but that looks very good. The new bumpers are a massive improvement and I like how you've also added an interior. Somehow that makes the outside look better too.

Thanks for sharing.

Ralph

I got the feeling mine was a bit to tall and curvy on top for that scale so I lowered the entire car one plate, and also lowered the roof by one. The bumpers, while nice, were visually too heavy, so I streamlined them while still keeping the curve.

Cougar11.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

Here are the final photos of the Cougar. I have to say I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

6807732177_1889cae947.jpg

6807733501_1106583df7.jpg

6807735011_713d2696e5.jpg

6807736249_ca4e7006c0.jpg

6807730837_3545f3f205.jpg

6807729019_7c564e1b39.jpg

On a side note, this started out as a 16-wide model, but I realized I didn't have nearly enough red bricks to do that.

Cougar12.jpg

Edited by gotoAndLego

If my experience is anything to go by, it is more likely to appreciated by people in the town forum than in the Technic/ Model Team forum...

I just posted a new car in that forum, but my question to the group is which froum 10-wide 1/22 scale vehicles should go in? I know this one is more for city scale vehicles, seven or eight-wide max, but since the Model Team forum has such a Technic slant, which it should, would vehicles like these be better appreciated in this forum?

Cheers

Edited by gotoAndLego

I just posted a new car in that forum, but my question to the group is which froum 10-wide 1/22 scale vehicles should go in? I know this one is more for city scale vehicles, seven or eight-wide max, but since the Model Team forum has such a Technic slant, which it should, would vehicles like these be better appreciated in this forum?

Cheers

As you may know, I've built a fair few 1/22 scale cars and have posted quite a few of them on EB as well in both the twon and the technic/model team forum. I think that technically they are supposed to go in the latter, although I am not aware of any rule of things in the town forum having to be minifig scale. Somehow they just don't fit there though. If you ask most people, they'll tell you to put them in with the special themes, where just about nobody sees them.

I think that people in the ttown forum appreciate this sort of MOC the most. It might not be in the same scale, but definitely fits the genre. I'd post them here if I were you, if you choose to post them on Eurobricks at all. I haven't bothered posting most of my recent MOCs on EB anymore.

Cheers,

Ralph