Sign in to follow this  
WhiteFang

REVIEW: 6659 TV Camera Crew

On a scale of 1 to 5  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this Classic Town set?

• 1 - Poor
    • 2 - Below Average
    • 3 - Average
    • 4 - Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

gallery_2351_18_164.gif

approvedgold_v2_50.png

Hello everyone,

Surprise to see a Classic Town review again? Actually, these images are one of the many undone reviews which are taken a few years ago but I didn't notice that I had saved them inside my computer until recently. So, I thought I could take an afternoon off to put this together for our Eurobricks community. Although these images are not as crisp and clear as my recent reviews due to my old camera, but still most of the details can still be seen. I really hope you will enjoy reading through this comprehensive Classic Town review. :blush:

Name: 6659 TV Camera Crew

Theme: LEGO / SYSTEM / Town / Vehicles

Year: 1986

Pieces: 64

Minifigs: 2 minifigures

Price: USD N.A, GBP N.A, EURO N.A, SGD N.A

Resources: Brickset, BrickLink

An image of a 6659, TV Camera Crew

1%7E31.jpg

Lights, cameras and action!

14%7E17.jpg

This Classic Town set was released back in 1986 and I must admit that it was one of the best established civilian concept vehicle which we can used to populate the Classic Town layouts. The TV camera crew team is something which can be used inter-changeably between movie blockbusters filming and news reporting team?

For the past few decades, it was evidently seen that TLG has not released many of such media related LEGO vehicles like news reporting in Classic Town and modern City, with the exception of the LEGO Studio from year 2000 to 2002.

Building up the vehicle's base

10%7E25.jpg

Adding on the building bricks to mold the vehicular shape

11%7E22.jpg

12%7E22.jpg

It's almost done

7%7E26.jpg

As you can see, it requires less than a hundred bricks to construct such a nice looking vehicle which allows one to place the driver by opening the top of the hatch or open the doors to go along with it.

Fully assembled

13%7E15.jpg

9%7E26.jpg

With all of the bricks placed together, you are able to see the full design of the TV camera crew vehicle. The driver will be cruising the filming scene and controlling the vehicle's spotlight while the camera-man will be recording the scene from his adjustable chair that can be rotated 360 degrees and even extending the height further. I can't find much of a displeasure in this simplistic Classic Town design. :thumbup:

The TV Camera crew

5%7E31.jpg

What can I expect? Many of you will be complaining that this minifigures doesn't even resembles any form of TV camera crew. No crew identification tag or even their uniform. They just looks like any typical boring Classic Town civilians. Yes, they might look boring but it was back in 1986 but I felt there is an unexplainable charm behind them. At least the primary basic colours for the minifigures for the torsos and legs are pretty matching instead of complete random.

Some good useful parts to take note

6%7E27.jpg

Those are very common parts but I actually want to highlight that the printed circular film tile is one of the nice part that can be easily identified as a film recorder by attaching it together. I can't complain about having more seats. In fact, these seats design can be easily transferred to parks and restaurants for more seating.

Use the TV camera crew for movie filming

3%7E30.jpg

Or, use them for Pop Star coverage!

4%7E28.jpg

Off for another exciting new assignment

2%7E31.jpg

To conclude, this set was particularly simple in design but yet the overall concept was very appealing when you are able to use the crew for imaginative scenario such as filming of movies or heading down to a news scene for reporting. Although these crew are very generic and have no representation of any agencies' affiliation, but this was the very first LEGO System set that had actually explored on this concept. I am sure this will far exceeds better than any of the regular typical boring looking Construction, Fire and Police vehicles. :tongue:

Summary review

Playability: 9/10 (The camera-man can be rotated freely on his seat to allow filming.)

Design: 8/10 (Nothing to complain about the vehicle's design except for the generic classic town minifigures.)

Price: 9/10 (Inexpensive LEGO set back then, not sure how much it will cost to get an used one.)

Overall: 8.7/10 (If you are a Classic Town fan, then get it if you can find a good offer.)

I gave it a "5" based on my Review Score Card. :wink: What about yours?

I hope every one of you enjoyed reading this simple review of mine. Comments and Criticisms are strongly welcomed.

Pictures can be found in My Flickr and My Brickshelf (When moderated)

Great review of a classic town vehicle 'Fangy', the rare TV reporter's ride ! :laugh:

Oh, do we all wish Lego bring it back, with all the space, police and fire sets recently - we need someone to report all the dramas in and around Lego city. :wink:

A very realistic operating camera set up, I'm impressed for the year 1986. :classic:

Brick On Review On 'Fangy' ! :classic:

I was always amazed that, at least on my set, the hinge pieces maintained a tight grip and I was able to pose the camera man in many different positions and not fall down. It's been a long time since we've gotten a TV crew -- 1997 by my recollection (with 6553-Crisis News Crew). We're really overdue to get another one.

Edited by Jeff Huntington

Nice review! :thumbup:

This is such a nice set. I love the way the camera came out. It looks primitive compared to what we have today.

Wow I didn't know such a set existed until now. It is great to have antique Lego. I only have a few worn out fabuland minifigures though. *huh*

Thanks for the review of a set I believe my brothers may have had. I miss the wheels with the stud in the middle :cry_sad:

Used to be able to make good "Bond style" cars with tyre shredders with them. The poster who pointed out that there hasn't been a tv crew for a while could be onto something. Could be a great sub-theme for lego city. News helicopters, tv studio etc

Thanks guys for your comments. It is always encouraging to see our fellow EB members expressing their love for Classic Town vehicles. :thumbup:

It's been a long time since we've gotten a TV crew -- 1997 by my recollection (with 6553-Crisis News Crew). We're really overdue to get another one.

Yes yes! I remembered this set and I got this too but it is not in an ideal state though. It has been a long time since we had any of such media coverage related themes to cover the reports in LEGO City. I will think this area is worth going into, if possible.