DLuders

Barman's Lego Suspension Idea for Unimog Ball Joints

6776629795_837d056b33_z.jpg

On his Flickr photoset, Barman/ Barman76 posted six photos of his Lego Technic suspension idea for the 8110 Unimog U400 set's "ball joints" -- "Free to use the idea, modify it or improve":

6776631553_682daa1baa_z.jpg

Do you think that the 2H2012 Lego Technic 9398 4x4 Rock Crawler set will use something similar to this setup?

6776630967_b21746f937_z.jpg

One can buy the necessary parts from "Lego Direct" (Lego Customer Service), using the guidance in this Eurobricks post. :classic:

Edited by DLuders

I don't think the Crawler would use anything like that. I think there may be too much room for error. That is a really great and unique idea though. :thumbup:

I don't think the Crawler would use anything like that. I think there may be too much room for error. That is a really great and unique idea though. :thumbup:

Where is the error? That looks like a great technique for suspension, although i think it uses to many expensive parts for TLG to use it in a set.

tim

I think i might use that idea in my new project if you don't mind.:sweet:

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

That is really tidy...might be able to modify that into a McPherson strut arrangement too :thumbup:

Where is the error? That looks like a great technique for suspension, although i think it uses to many expensive parts for TLG to use it in a set.

tim

I would think the error would be with the shock absorbers being on only one side of the suspension arms and only being supported by pins with no support on the other side. You are not going to get even compression from the shocks like that. This would work well with a small model, but obviously this type of suspension would be used on a large vehicle. Also, when this module gets weight from a frame and body built around it, I could see the #1 connectors working themselves loose when it is steered from side to side. I do think this is a really great suspension idea and fantastic use of those parts.

hmm, this suspension shouts Hummer H1

but there is a little wobbly problem: There is much play in the ball. Not good for RC in this condition

Looks like it would be great for high speed applications, where you don't want any friction in the drive train to slow it down. Would be perfect for a 4X4X4 supercar.

Edited by allanp

i don't think the rockcrawler will use this setup.

- too much room for error, the links are loosely attached

- kids wil kill the u-joints in the ballbearing

I think it is a really nice setup, but I think the rockcrawler will use a reduction in the hubs, just like unimog, but no 16-16T. the use of this (no)reduction in the unimog sujest that they have waited with that for a model who really needs that reduction. Else the parts wouldn't be made like that.

Edited by nielsvdv

I'm really liking this. With a bit of refinement and tweaking (as other's have suggested), this could be very useful.

Perhaps if the steering rack was brought back one stud and adjusted to give it Ackerman steering, there would be room for another sets of shock absorbers between the wishbone and the steering arms...?