Mario Pascucci

[Software] BrickUtils - Import and manage LDD and Ldraw files

I get a null pointer exception when I try to import an .lxf from LDD 4.3

Hi legoman666.

Can you send me the lxf file that caused exception?

Have you tried other lxf files?

Thank you for using Brickutils :-)

Update for LDraw part library 2014-01 is out.

BrickUtils will update automatically at next start.

@Calabar

I released an new version that checks for database and LDraw libraries and download itself what needed.

So to install program you need only the JAR file.

:)

I am having a problem with the ability to create a brick link compatible .xml file. I imported one of my creations from LDD, and I create a .xml file. However, when I open the .xml file, it is a garbled mess. I am sure that this is easy to fix and most likely I just read over something, so please do not respond to this message with hostility.

Hi is this software being actively still being developed I would love the option to import my brick store inventory into this,

I would also like to to be able to compare 2 brick store inventory, so the problem I have now is that I have all my parts in one brick store inventory file then I get an inventory file for a moc / set I want to build and then I want to compare them and see what pics I am missing .

Once I know what I am missing I make a brick store file and use Brick Wizard to hunt for the best deals .

I am still new to this and only started with lego again actively 2 months ago so looking for the best solution for my needs .

Thanks for your time and Cool software !

Hi is this software being actively still being developed I would love the option to import my brick store inventory into this,

I would also like to to be able to compare 2 brick store inventory, so the problem I have now is that I have all my parts in one brick store inventory file then I get an inventory file for a moc / set I want to build and then I want to compare them and see what pics I am missing .

Hi darksheep.

Brickutils already import store inventory: it use the same import function for set inventory and order inventory, too. Brickutils checks what kind of XML dump is and act accordingly.

After you imported store inventory, save as a generic lot and select it for part check. Import your project and do a check against "selected" set. That's all.

Thank you for using BrickUtils!

I am having a problem with the ability to create a brick link compatible .xml file. I imported one of my creations from LDD, and I create a .xml file. However, when I open the .xml file, it is a garbled mess. I am sure that this is easy to fix and most likely I just read over something, so please do not respond to this message with hostility.

Hi mcstubbs.

Can you send me the XML file to see what happened?

Thank you for using Brickutils!

Hi darksheep.

Brickutils already import store inventory: it use the same import function for set inventory and order inventory, too. Brickutils checks what kind of XML dump is and act accordingly.

After you imported store inventory, save as a generic lot and select it for part check. Import your project and do a check against "selected" set. That's all.

Hi mcstubbs.

Can you send me the XML file to see what happened?

Thank you for using Brickutils!

Thanks for the reply but I can get this to work .

This is what I have done .

1. Open BrickStore and my file with all my parts.
  2. Export the file as Bricklink wanted list and save the xml file.
  3. Open Brick BrickUtils
  4. On the working List tab click Import bricks ,chose Brick link xml dump
  5. The import but all say "Problem: this is a deleted part in BLink. You have an old dump?" for the description.
  6. If i select them all and click add to catalog it says please add some set moc description .

so not sure what to do

Also if I try just import the bsx file with my parts it says 516 parts imported but then in the window after there are now bricks.

Thanks for the reply but I can get this to work .

This is what I have done .

1. Open BrickStore and my file with all my parts.
  2. Export the file as Bricklink wanted list and save the xml file.
  3. Open Brick BrickUtils
  4. On the working List tab click Import bricks ,chose Brick link xml dump
  5. The import but all say "Problem: this is a deleted part in BLink. You have an old dump?" for the description.
  6. If i select them all and click add to catalog it says please add some set moc description .

so not sure what to do

Also if I try just import the bsx file with my parts it says 516 parts imported but then in the window after there are now bricks.

Hi darksheep.

For message at point 5: your list uses a part ID hat was deleted from Bricklink (usually for part ID change, it happens often for parts with "bbNNN" or "xNNN" code).

For message at point 6: you must set some information to save your list as a "lot" of bricks in catalog. Please see manual, paragraph 5.9 and 5.9.1.

Read manual carefully, BrickUtils is a complex program.

Hi darksheep.

For message at point 5: your list uses a part ID hat was deleted from Bricklink (usually for part ID change, it happens often for parts with "bbNNN" or "xNNN" code).

For message at point 6: you must set some information to save your list as a "lot" of bricks in catalog. Please see manual, paragraph 5.9 and 5.9.1.

Read manual carefully, BrickUtils is a complex program.

Thanks I will check but surely this cant be the case for all 515 different types of parts ?

Hi darksheep.

Let me see if I understand: you have i8mported a lot of 515 different parts and all parts description is "Problem: this is a deleted part in BLink....", it is correct?

Do you have tried a part update from Bricklink and it is failed or interrupted? Have you checked if downloaded "Parts.txt" file from Bricklink is corrupted?

Program act like all parts in Bricklink catalog were deleted, so try to do a part update and retry.

Ok so it install itself right where you do launch the software, so now my download folder is full of stuff XD

Question : does it works if I move the files in another directory ? or will I have to update everything again ?

Anyway, thanks for this software, it's pretty handy and very well thought, neat job ! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Question : does it works if I move the files in another directory ? or will I have to update everything again ?

Hi Guss, sorry for late reply.

As in program manual (par. 4.9, 4.10) it is a "portable" program: it places all needed files in the folder where it runs.

Place in a folder called "brickutils" (or how you want to call :wink: ) only these files:

- brickUtils-XXX.jar (XXX is program version)

- brickutils.h2.db (the program database)

- complete.zip (ldraw official library)

- ldrawunf.zip (ldraw unofficial library)

sub-folder "brickutils" is not needed (there are full text search indexes) and will rebuild on first start. If you omit LDraw libraries, program will download them at first start.

Please read the manual, Brickutils is a quite complex program :grin:

Hi darksheep.

Let me see if I understand: you have i8mported a lot of 515 different parts and all parts description is "Problem: this is a deleted part in BLink....", it is correct?

Do you have tried a part update from Bricklink and it is failed or interrupted? Have you checked if downloaded "Parts.txt" file from Bricklink is corrupted?

Program act like all parts in Bricklink catalog were deleted, so try to do a part update and retry.

Thanks re-downloaded it and it its working fine now , thanks so much for the help and amazing app , that will help a lot in my future .

Hi people.

After a while, finally, I get rid of an undetermined bug in Java AWT code in OSX Mavericks that produces all solid black images on HTML export.

Now, program works fine on all platform, and I finally can release version 0.2.0.0.

Enjoy!

Hi Mario,

Just found this! And it's awesome!

I've been adding my sets, one by one, and I've tried out the "Check if buildable" feature with a moc. I get the missing bricks list and being able to export it to Blink XML is just brilliant, but is there a way to check where, in which sets, are the non-missing brick?

In the "My bricks" tab you have the feature to select the sets that use a specific brick, but it would help if we had any indication of which bricks are on the working list.

Thank you for your work, you have an amazing app!

Best regards

Hi all!

A new BrickUtils relesase is out! It is version 0.2.0.1.

It contains some improvement in LDraw project importing and bugfixes.

Also, part database is updated for latest LDraw library release (2014-02). Update will be automatic via Internet on next program startup or via "Check updates" function.

Enjoy!

Hi La Chupacabra.

It is a Java program, so, first check if you have the Java Virtual Machine 6 or newer. To launch program (Windows and OSX) double click on .jar file (there is only one). With Linux you must use a terminal: enter in the directory where you placed brickUtils-0.2.0.1.jar (do *NOT* unzip the jar file) and use command:

java -jar brickUtils-0.2.0.1.jar

Please read the manual, program is quite different from previous version.

Thanks for answer. After installing Java, program runs now. By the way - manual is about old version.

Manual is for 0.2.0.0, version 0.2.0.1 is a "minor patch" without any change in user interface/procedures.

Hi all!

A new BrickUtils relesase is out! It is version 0.2.1.0

New features:

- a powerful export function using templates: user can define his own document format and export wanted lists. It uses Apache Velocity Template engine.

- new program release check at startup

- improvements and bugfixes.

Enjoy!

perfect idea in principle! :thumbup:

but I am a bit afraid that nowadays many ppl are so lazy to even answer a simple question not saying catalogize their LEGO bricks :laugh:

Cheers, OP. Looks like there's some very useful utilities on this site. Glad I stumbled in here.

ETA: May be a problem w/ my firewall, but the Java app failed to download the database on startup. I had to go to SourceForge, into the Files, and download the parts database myself. When it started after that, it downloaded the parts updates fine. However, I am getting an error:

Unable to get updates

Reason:javax.xml.stream.XML StreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[1,3]

Message: The markup in the document preceding the root element must be well-formed.

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit on an HP ProBook, w/ Java 1.8_031, updating to 8 40 now.

ETA2: Updated to 8.40, getting the same error when I launch BrickUtils.

Edited by backbencher

@bublible

Catalog function in Brickutils is only one of the functions, and not the main goal. But if you want to know if you can build your MOC, designed with LDD or LDraw, using the parts of (to say) two Town Hall, and with program reporting what parts you need to buy on BrickLink, a little catalog is needed, don't you? :D

BrickUtils can read digital models (LDD or LDraw), import set inventory, order inventory and store inventory generated by BrickLink, checks your MOC against these inventories, list missing parts, export a "wanted list mass upload" file to buy bricks on BrickLink.

@backbencher

Sounds as you have some network configuration that prevent BrickUtils to get files from Internet.

What to check:

-Windows firewall (BrickUtils must access Internet to do his work)

-If you connect through a proxy, Java needs some configuration to use it. BrickUtils does not handle proxy itself.

-sometime SourceForge.net is under heavy load, BrickUtils gets all its files from there, so downloads fails.