jonwil

Light brick suggestion

I would like to suggest that sets with light bricks contain a warning in the instructions that says "do not stare directly into light" as light bricks (such as the red-LED one I was just fiddling with) can hurt ones eyes if one stares directly into them (and unlike other things with eye-hurting LEDs in them, these are things kids are going to play with)

I would like to suggest that sets with light bricks contain a warning in the instructions that says "do not stare directly into light" as light bricks (such as the red-LED one I was just fiddling with) can hurt ones eyes if one stares directly into them (and unlike other things with eye-hurting LEDs in them, these are things kids are going to play with)

Even if they hurt one's eyes, can they cause lasting damage? If it's just painful to look at them then that could be enough of a deterrent so as not to need a warning label. I've never tried staring into a light brick so don't know what it's like.

A quick googling finds an article in the journal "Health Physics" where they determined that "It is concluded that all surface-emitting LEDs and IREDs will be judged safe by applying the ICNIRP ELs for incoherent radiation as well as by the recommendations of CIE TC 6-38 (Lamp Safety) for realistic viewing conditions. This conclusion applies to any LED device which does not have optical gain. Only because of the extraordinary worst-case assumptions built into some current product safety standards could one reach the conclusion that an LED or IRED poses a retinal hazard." (http://www.icnirp.de/documents/Led.pdf)

Basically, there ARE regulations in Europe that determine what warnings must be on lights. I have no doubt that Lego is in full compliance; therefore, the LEDs they use are not hazardous. They are using standard cheap LEDs, not some high-powered ones that need warnings.

Well, staring directly at the sun hurts your eyes too but I don't think anyone is going to start making a sign big enough to say "Warning! Staring directly at may hurt your eyes". I think we are getting too much obsessed with warning signs everywhere and are forgetting to put more trust in the judgement capabilities of our sons and daughters. If the kids stare into the light once and it hurts their eyes they aren't going to do it again are they?

One of those cases where common sense is uncommon. Next we’ll need warning labels on sunglass, windshields, windows, telescopes, small pools of rain water, etc. saying don’t look at the sun though this. Might as well start putting warnings on all food products saying over eating of this product will result in obesity. And warnings on prophylactics saying use of this product may result in accidental pleasure. Natural Selection. If a person is not smart enough to figure out that if something hurts then they probably shouldn’t do it, then please let them continue. It can only help to improve the gene pool.

Great example of this is walking in busy city areas wearing headphones or texting. Note the several hundred deaths a year in each major city simply because people plow though life clueless to their in environment. We have brains for a reason. Failure to use them can only result in failure to remain. :grin::blush:*huh*

It's not a problem because you have to hold down the button to keep the light brick on. If it was hurting your eyes, your natural reflex would be to let go of the button.

I work in company which manufactures eye surgery lasers and also uses all kind of LED diodes. I dont know exact specifiations of diode used in light bricks, but I'm pretty sure its power and concentration of light is under the limit which would require special warnings. Light brick is made in that way that emitted light is well spread (diffused) any other and loses power rapidly, not like in laser pointers or similar devices, where its focused on one spot. Looking at it is as dangerous as looking at christmas light or any other normal light. Long time staring at it would probabaly cause temporary "spot" in your vision, but nothing more. Looking directly in sun is far more dangerous.