Sign in to follow this  
Foremast Jack

Modding a top-hat

To clarify since this thread was pulled from another: The topic of using heated water (~160degrees Fahrenheit) to manipulate "soft and pliable LEGO pieces" (e.g. the whip) was being discussed. I was looking to get some input from anyone who might have some experience or thoughts in general as to whether this technique could be employed to effect on pieces that are distinctly harder:

i.e. the top-hat piece 3878.gif?0

The desired result having added a curvature to the peak/bill. Resembling the beaver hat. (see reference photo below)

master-and-commaner-midshipmen2-640x250.jpg

My greatest fear being that manipulation of the peak/bill will distort the brim. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by Foremast Jack

I split the topic from the other thread. Please continue the discussion here. :classic:

You only have two options.

1. Melting the brim slightly until it can be bent to that shape.

2. Cutting off the top and gluing it together with the brim of the new Lego bowler hat.

I personally would go with option 2, since you have more control of the outcome.

-Omi

Hmmm... interesting thought. Option 2 sounds promising, but unless I'm mistaken doesn't the bowler hat have an oblong shape (oval) whereas the top-cat is perfectly circular? I think there would be an issue with alignment.

I think there would be an issue with alignment.

Not unless it is cut and smoothed out right, you should have no problem.

-Omi

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So I had a look at the two in LDD, and it does seem that the bowler is more oval than the top-hat; however, I think that if the bowler was cut down to what represents the band above the bill then the brim of the top-hat could be mounted flushly. (or near enough as to make it work) :pir-grin:

Thanks for the suggestion Omi.

Edited by Foremast Jack