Piranha

LEGO Collectable Minifgures Series 8 Rumours & Discussion

I know a lot of people are down on this series but compared to past series I think it's about par for the course. Every series has hits and misses but a miss for one person may be a hit for someone else. I remember one of the biggest complaints when CMFs all started was that the sports figures were so specific one couldn't make opposing teams. I particularly remember much discussion about the skiier being too specific with the number on his chest. Now we get another one for him to race and people balk. It may not be my favorite minifig and will only get one of him/her but I'm glad they are doing it. And a RED cheerleader? Yes, please! I loved the first one. :wub:

Personally the Ancient Thespis and the Fairy will be my must get multiples of (assuming they look as good as they sound) but I'm also really curious about the Evil Female Alien, Santa Claus (would like to see how they differentiate him from the past iterations) and, most curiously, the vampire. Maybe TLG is phoning it in on this one, but I would love to see a Twilight-inspired version...I'm not a fan, just would like to see the minifig. And lastly, though I would love to see an American football player, I think he'll likely be a soccer player given the other sports multiples we've had in the past.

Found a bigger image of the Pirate, same thing as the Magazine, but just..better quality. It was over 3000 pixels in size so I cropped it. Looks like he comes with a gold tooth as well.

S8Pirate2.png

-Sci

I strongly hope TLG told different info to different retailers asking them to keep info condidential, just to find out who wasn't acting fair.

If that list is really what Series 8 is, then that's the lamest Series we have had so far (and I now wounder if I shoulp hope those voices about 8 more Series actually ARE true)

As I said earlier, the thing that I can't stand the more is that TLC announced this series as surprising and cool... Now I can clearly see that there are people here which are happy of these minifigures, but the majority is really disappointed. So did TLC get it all wrong? Is that so possible?

I'm kinda wondering on some of the vagaries of translation on that one? I wonder if it will be more of an evil counterpart to Galaxy Girl. Sort of a female Blacktron sort of thing.

I guess it all depends on the kind of translator you use... Translating the full description from the Czech site via Google translator, they just speak about an evil alien.. no female..

quote: "This collection, inspired by movies, sports, history and everyday life, includes: Ancient Thespis, the captain of the pirates, conquistadors, the enemy robot, an evil alien, divers, vampire, fairy, football player, businessman, skiers, cheerleader red, Santa Claus, a boy in Bavaria costumes, disc jockey and cowboy girl."

But every translation tool has its flaws... this one even puts the names of some figs in plural. And I realy doubt that TLG will have the goodness to put more than one fig in a bag..

Just wait and see... and be patient... the pictures will surface sooner or later. I wouldnt be surprised if our good friend Grogall will take care of that. :sadnew:

Edited by J.V.D.

Rest assured, you can always count on TLG to produce new versions of older minifigures if they do not meet AFOL standards. You might have to wait a couple of years, but TLG has a pretty good track record of improving minifgures that might have been considered less than acceptable in an earlier version.

People complaining about Santa not coming out at Christmas - This series comes out in September so will be on shelves in the run-up to Christmas so Santa is a perfect inclusion. Just like the Bunny Suit guy from series 7 being available in the run up to Easter it seems that with these past couple of releases TLG have taken into consideration when the bags are on shelves & included relevant figure.

Likewise the series 8 Vampire being out in the run up to Halloween - In the guessing thread I'd gone for a trick or treater mini figure.

A trick or treater would be inspired!

A female vampire would be a close second best though.

Does anyone else think it's a bit odd how this website has these on pre-order and they have the descriptions of each fig, but not a single damn picture of the figs? If Lego had given them permission to display the real names of the figs, why not let them use a picture also? All I'm saying is, I think this is a fake list, or at least wome of them on the list are fake. But, like I said earlier, I think we should all just wait and see until we get an official picTure from Lego.

I guess it all depends on the kind of translator you use... Translating the full description from the Czech site via Google translator, they just speak about an evil alien.. no female..

And, let's not forget, they will have already been (mis)translated once before into Czech, so it's entirely possible for mistakes to have crept in already.

The only one that is curious is the Vampire, as it seems very odd timing when the Monster Fighters sets will be out and about giving everyone enough vampires as it is and it's also the least likely to have subtle translation errors. Although I suppose it is equally possible that the CMF version could be one that was designed for, but not used in, the MF line.

And I'll add in another vote for the "I'd quite like a decent Santa" group. It would be a useful addition to Christmas MOCs that has never been entirely possible so far. Sure, it's not really an army builder fig, but I don't think ever figure really needs to be one. The "red cheerleader" is rather more of a dial-in sounding figure, but I'd defintitely not complain at some more cheerleaders.

Looking forward to seeing them all nonetheless, it's often the case that opinions change dramatically when the figs are finally revealed.

>Vampire

Nope that can't be true.

I don't speak Czech and will gladly defer to anyone who does, but in most Slavic languages ending a noun in 'a' (or 'ka') feminises it. So it looks like we're talking about a bride for the vampire in Series 2. I'm guessing she will be fairly similar to the Monster Hunters vampiress, but that is pure conjecture.

As I said earlier, the thing that I can't stand the more is that TLC announced this series as surprising and cool...

Well, what else could they do? Say the next series will be rather dull* and includes some repetitions? Stay silent? Marketing people will always use hyperbole. And presuming that something must be especially cool if the secret holds better than usual is quite flawed way of thinking and often leads to disappointments. It could be mere chance that it took so long for this series to leak, or maybe they kept it better under radar because of the upcoming Team GB series, or some other reason.

* Not my opinion, at least not yet.

Well, what else could they do? Say the next series will be rather dull* and includes some repetitions? Stay silent? Marketing people will always use hyperbole. And presuming that something must be especially cool if the secret holds better than usual is quite flawed way of thinking and often leads to disappointments. It could be mere chance that it took so long for this series to leak, or maybe they kept it better under radar because of the upcoming Team GB series, or some other reason.

* Not my opinion, at least not yet.

IMHO, i'd rather the company be honest then LIE to the customers.

I talked to mom about it last night and we both agree if this is real, lego is trying to get the series shut down.

I talked to mom about it last night and we both agree if this is real, lego is trying to get the series shut down.

Errr... You do realise companies don't self-sabotage. If they wanted to stop making the collectable mini figures they'd just stop. But while it's successful (and highly so if you read recent UK trade reports) they'll keep on knocking 'em out.

Uhm... Why is there is so much hate against this series? It looks pretty solid to me... What are the themes the people collect that "don't like any of them"?

^ There aren't any pictures but that Pirate.

-Sci

EDIT: No need to insult me, >_>

Edited by CM4S

^ There aren't any pictures.

-Sci

Yeah, no shit, sherlock. Still does not explain the hate for the list as we see them.

I really, really don't get the complaining about a CMF Santa Claus.

Show me an officially-released LEGO Santa Claus minifigure that actually looks good. The one in the advent calendars, etc. is simplistic and just terrible, basically put together from existing pieces rather than being a specifically created Santa Claus. It's got no printing, a pirate's bandana for a hat and that crappy, older beard accessory.

What's the matter with the classic beard? Sure, there are plenty of other good ones now (and I do agree the one introduced in Minifigures for the Fisherman and reused for the Lawn Gnome is the best, most suitable beard TLG's ever made for a classic, archetypal Santa Claus), but that's not a bad beard at all.

Here's me hoping the enemy robot takes ideas from the spyrius guys.

Wow vexorian you're totally right! That would really change my hype for the robot, no kidding. They called back blacktron and classic space... why not spyrius?

I love continuity!

IMHO, i'd rather the company be honest then LIE to the customers.

That doesn't make the remotest bit of sense. :hmpf: First of all, how are they lying? Secondly, why would they try to get the series shut down?

^ There aren't any pictures.

-Sci

Well, there is one confirmed picture, the Pirate Captain.

Wow... the mood has really deteriorated over the last couple of pages.

Maybe we should all just sit and wait for actual pictures. I think that's definitely what I'm going to do before making any more comments. Remember that these are childrens' toys that are never going to match our personal wish-lists or expectations.

And third of all, why are you asking mom? You know she has a contract with Mega Blocks! She's just trying to fill your brain with ideas like vegetables are good for you and such. Okay, kidding. No mom jokes allowed.

As much as I don't care for a Santa, I think this series could be up there in the middle of the line. It has a handful of potential hits that could make it just as popular as some of the stronger series.

My take on series 8, the diver could be one in an old diving suit with the big brass diver helmet on and the football player could be either a gridiron, rugby (yes, please) or another soccer player in different team colours....at least if it's rugby or gridiron we get a different ball ! :grin:

A DJ....what our own David Guetta ? :grin:

Trader....easy stock exchange floor trader....excellent another business dressed person ? :wink:

Vampire....easy one word.....Twilight ! :sick::laugh:

We need pictures for sure....even for the pirate captain too so we can compare this coming series with the past seven.

Edited by lightningtiger

Yeah, no shit, sherlock. Still does not explain the hate for the list as we see them.

Please, there's no need to be an internet tough guy, and while were an AFOL site pointless swearing is... pointless.