Piranha

LEGO Collectable Minifgures Series 8 Rumours & Discussion

Given how British-centric Lego have been recently I'd like to think the trader or businessman might be a classic bowler hatted City trader with briefcase or umbrella. With the lovely bowler hat only coming in grey and blue, a black one would please an awful lot of people.

I'd guess that the ancient Thespis would have alternate comedy and tragedy faces. Or even better mask headgear.

The list doesn't fill me with excitement but I'm sure when the pictures show up I'll find plenty to like.

I will actually getting more figures from this series than any other, so I'm very happy. I collect pirate, space and Western figures, so that gives me:

Pirate Captain

Conquistador

Enemy Robot

Evil Female Alien

Cowgirl

I'm a bit disappointed by the repetition of a few figures of the other figures, but I never get all of the figures anyway.

I'm a bit disappointed by the repetition of a few figures of the other figures, but I never get all of the figures anyway.

We've yet to get a Pirate Captain, so I'm not sure why he's on there...

I was so awaiting for those, I mean, I kept coming every day and I even started a guessing game... now I am a bit disappointed. I mean, I have a 10x of a certain minifig in every series (zombie, spartan, elf, musketeer, dwarf, roman, knight) and some series even 2 (loads of celtic warriors, space marines, lizard suit guys, vampires)... and now this series, unless "trader" "evil robot" "evil female alien" "fairy" or "vampire(which is likely female vampire)" "greek guy" reveal themselves unexpected good ones, I won't get a 10x minifig this time. My shopkeeper will be surprised. I really hope pictures can change my mind, if not, I will start again the hype for series 9, january 2013.

The only name that really sticks out to me here is the Evil Female Alien. I recall that we haven't had any non-licensed alien females since Gypsy Moth from Insectoids, so this will be interesting if correct. :thumbup:

What I'm wondering is did the Czech text specify American football? If it didn't, we could be seeing a dragon team 'footballer' not a 'football player' since this guy is playing for the lion team. We Americans tend to use the word 'soccer' whereas most of the world uses the word 'football' for the world's most popular sport.

If that is the case, I would hope for a different trophy mold, or a Jabilani(sp?) ball. UEFA, MLS or even FIFA World Cup!

EDIT: Just read the Czech page and it has 'fotbalistu' with no reference to America.

Edited by gedren_y

If this list is real, I like the Conquistador to go with the Aztec Warrior. I like the fairy, cowgirl and a character in leiderhosen. A cheerleader is always a good thing and so are some sci-fi characters. The rest are sort of ho hum. I'll wait for the pics to judge the rest though.

Given how British-centric Lego have been recently I'd like to think the trader or businessman might be a classic bowler hatted City trader with briefcase or umbrella. With the lovely bowler hat only coming in grey and blue, a black one would please an awful lot of people.

Without any knowledge of the "trader" this might be pretty good, a more civilian-y CMF like Sleepyhead or the Computer Programmer.

I don't know what it says about me that this was the first thing I thought of when I read your description: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Gentleman_%28Trainer_class%29

Another Vampire, Diver, Skier, a 1564th Santa Claus? This is a bad joke! After such a long waiting and such and effective secrecy, TLG has to come up with something fantastic, without any duplications or female-counterparts. Or are my expectations too high?

update: If a diver is something like this then it is a must buy!

Edited by Yooha

OK no more games here the list!

Thanks to Ojik via Brickset!

Ancient Thespis

Pirate Captain

Conquistador

Enemy Robot

Evil Female Alien

Diver

Vampire

Fairy

Football Player

Trader

Skier

Red Cheerleader

Santa Claus

Boy in Bavarian costume

DJ

Cowgirl

enjoy! :classic: :classic: :classic:

If this is the list, then I'm disapointed at the number of repeats. The only ones that interest me are the Ancient Thespis, Fairy and Cowgirl.

Rather odd that they would bring out another Vampire when they've just released Monster Hunters.

I'm not overly impressed with that list.

These might be promising:

Pirate Captain :sweet: (looks damn good on that pic! Want!)

Conquistador :sweet: (never got that morion helmet before, so: want!)

Enemy Robot :classic:

Evil Female Alien (wonder if she's from cliché-galaxy, where any female invests in LAZ0rrz instead of

proper clothing...)

Fairy :sweet:

Red Cheerleader :classic: (for parts!)

Those probably not so much:

Santa Claus :sceptic:

Boy in Bavarian costume (as a Bavarian-born German I gotta ask: What's the big attraction of Lederhosen?

They're tacky and uncomfortable as hell! :hmpf: )

DJ :sceptic:

Cowgirl :hmpf_bad:

Diver (might be good, if done right...)

Vampire (Someone at TLC pulled a "Thor" on that: I like this figure! *smash* ANOTHER!!! :wink: )

Football Player (AMERICAN football or REAL football? In any case: :hmpf_bad: )

Trader :sceptic:

Skier :hmpf:

This one however sounds definitely worthwile:

Ancient Thespis :sweet: (I understand this as a greco-roman theater performer. The masks might be good! And perhaps we finally get some authentic ancient attire: Chiton preferred, but I'd settle for a toga as well... Shame this would most likely be of the white variety... lame, but better that than nothing)

And again we don't get some chinese martial artist... :sceptic::hmpf_bad::thumbdown:

All in all, after the last very cost intesive CMF series, this promises to be a breather for me. No obvious army-builders with a side dish of not-so-interesting extras. Nice somehow!

Be well all!

Cutty

People complaining about Santa not coming out at Christmas - This series comes out in September so will be on shelves in the run-up to Christmas so Santa is a perfect inclusion. Just like the Bunny Suit guy from series 7 being available in the run up to Easter it seems that with these past couple of releases TLG have taken into consideration when the bags are on shelves & included relevant figure.

Likewise the series 8 Vampire being out in the run up to Halloween - In the guessing thread I'd gone for a trick or treater mini figure.

Edited by pjonze

i think santa will be using the gnome's hat and the fisherman's beard.

but i agree that this series is underwhelming. every year, every advent calendar, we get a santa. so why yet another santa in cmf? granted, it's always ragtop hat and long beard but just how many santas does one need? it's like the rehash of c-3po, it totally killed the c-3pos from years ago. no one needs (or wants for that matter) 10 versions of c-3po... and at the current rate TLC is producing bobas, i'll be saying "no one needs 10 versions of boba fetts" in 2 years' time.

totally ridiculous. so many good ideas around and the best they can come up with is a santa?

i think santa will be using the gnome's hat and the fisherman's beard.

but i agree that this series is underwhelming. every year, every advent calendar, we get a santa. so why yet another santa in cmf? granted, it's always ragtop hat and long beard but just how many santas does one need? it's like the rehash of c-3po, it totally killed the c-3pos from years ago. no one needs (or wants for that matter) 10 versions of c-3po... and at the current rate TLC is producing bobas, i'll be saying "no one needs 10 versions of boba fetts" in 2 years' time.

totally ridiculous. so many good ideas around and the best they can come up with is a santa?

I disagree. I haven't ever bought a Lego Santa for the very reason the previous ones aren't very good. I want a proper Santa (not wearing a low-ranked pirate's hat!). I am sure a Santa's Elf will appear in future series.

I really, really don't get the complaining about a CMF Santa Claus.

Show me an officially-released LEGO Santa Claus minifigure that actually looks good. The one in the advent calendars, etc. is simplistic and just terrible, basically put together from existing pieces rather than being a specifically created Santa Claus. It's got no printing, a pirate's bandana for a hat and that crappy, older beard accessory.

You could make a far better Santa Claus just using the torso, head and beard of the CMF Lawn Gnome, but there's still no decent or even half-accurate Santa hat.

Would you rather have another Skateboarder/Snowboarder/Surfer/Tennis Player instead?

You could make a far better Santa Claus just using the torso, head and beard of the CMF Lawn Gnome, but there's still no decent or even half-accurate Santa hat.

Yeah that's basically what I did last year. I was suprised how well they go together to make a Santa, although it's not that big of suprise when you really think about it.

All I know is that a Santa minifigure should be awesome. I'm confident that they will do him justice. :classic:

I really, really don't get the complaining about a CMF Santa Claus.

Show me an officially-released LEGO Santa Claus minifigure that actually looks good. The one in the advent calendars, etc. is simplistic and just terrible, basically put together from existing pieces rather than being a specifically created Santa Claus. It's got no printing, a pirate's bandana for a hat and that crappy, older beard accessory.

Would you rather have another Skateboarder/Snowboarder/Surfer/Tennis Player instead?

all of them are terrible but that's a silly comparison anyway. it's like comparing a C- with Ds... i can just imagine homer or marge saying "oh bart, you got a C-...wow...that's much better than Ds...." isn't it pointless? just because something is mediocre doesn't justify its existence because it's better than junk.

8 will probably be the least of the CMFs series until they come up with worse.

Wow-- if TLG is following along with this thread, they're quickly learning that the price for keeping things under wraps is heightened anticipation, with some steep expectations as well. I do think it's somewhat unfair that we all 'expect' each series to top it's predecessor rather than simply judge it as the sum of its own parts...

Personally, I think this series holds a lot of potential. Army builder for me is certainly the football player (providing it's of the American variety). I also see myself grabbing multiples of the Thespis, Conquistador, and even the Bavarian boy as well. And like all of you, I'm really intrigued by the "Trader," hoping it really turns out to be a Fur Trapper type of character.

As for the hot Santa topic, you can firmly count me in the "Yea" group-- I cant't be the only one who thought it was wrong that we have a Easter bunny suit fit but no dedicated Santa figure. The ones in the Advents were always thrown together or just poor attempts at humor (seriously, showering/naked Santa?). I even considered the SW Advent last year just to get the Yoda torso to make a more fitting Kris Kringle.

There is also the possibility that a new Santa hat mold opens new doors for winter hat/toque uses... Maybe even the infamous Trader himself. Hmmm...

At any rate, thanks to Grogall for finally breaking the seal on this one. I'd imagine that if our resident hi-res image expert is breaking a list of the series, that likely means he's seen them for himself and hasn't been given the blessing to leak the pics. Curious to hear what he'll have to say in the next few weeks/days until he first images drop. Thanks again!!

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

Well said. In this case, there are certainly less figures I am interested in obtaining, but this is certainly not a write off. The Conquistador and Pirate Captain in particular appeal to me (I'm a Pirate builder), but I also know I will most likely pick up the robot, as well as the Greek, and most likely one of the Bavarians, if only to keep going with the "Nationalism" theme LEGO is going with (See Statue of Liberty, Guardsman, Bagpiper, and to a somewhat lesser extent, the Geisha and the Flamenco Dancer.)

The only name that really sticks out to me here is the Evil Female Alien. I recall that we haven't had any non-licensed alien females since Gypsy Moth from Insectoids, so this will be interesting if correct. :thumbup:

I'm kinda wondering on some of the vagaries of translation on that one? I wonder if it will be more of an evil counterpart to Galaxy Girl. Sort of a female Blacktron sort of thing.

I think almost all of these are figures that could be really good or really bad, but we don't know until we see some pics. I think a lot of opinions will change when pictures are released/leaked.

I think almost all of these are figures that could be really good or really bad, but we don't know until we see some pics. I think a lot of opinions will change when pictures are released/leaked.

Though the concepts are really disappointing to me, I too wait for pictures before a final judgement.

I support the Santa minifig, I would like it comes with a belly mold. :classic: